Identifying a (supposedly) Stagg

Discussion in 'SG Copies' started by norbi96, Jul 29, 2018.

1. norbi96

norbi96 New Member

Hey there everyone! I got this guitar, and its headstock says it's a Stagg but actually it doesn't look like any Staggs I have seen. Maybe the neck was replaced. Here are some pics

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Don't be too happy, that sticker just tells us where it was sold some day...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for the help folks :)

2. Layne Matz

Layne Matz Active Member

Is that a jazz master style trem system?

3. Bad Penguin

Bad Penguin Active Member

Made in Japan, sometime In the 70's, probably made by TEISCO/Kawai. Remember, a lot of guitar names have been recycled, so the Stagg of today, has NOTHING in common with the Stagg of yesteryear. I would bet money that those "humbuckers" are actually singles.

And no Layne, nothing to do with a Jazz Master. That trem is worse then anything Fender ever came out with. Been used on countless guitars since the mid 60's by all sorts of Japanese companies.

PermissionToLand and Layne Matz like this.
  4. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

Yeah, looks like a Japanese model, and the sticker is from a shop in Vienna Austria.

5. Layne Matz

Layne Matz Active Member

Im wondering how that particular trem functions. It appears as though its springs would be beneath the bridge in a jazz master style fashion. I was thinking about how that trwm would function and thats the best i can figure unless it has that metal they use in a vubrola- the metal that springs back to it original position without a spring system.

How do you see that trem functioning?

6. Bad Penguin

It's basically the same thing as this Hagstrom trem pic I stole from feebay. It's a bottom mounted spring, with some adjusting screws allowing you to "adjust" the tension. Problem is, it doesn't really work well. Ask any Jazzmaster owner about how well their trem works, and 90% will say they don't use it.

trem.jpg

PermissionToLand and Layne Matz like this.
  7. Layne Matz

Layne Matz Active Member

Thank you! Thats exactly what I was wondering. Thanks for the picture too.

Ive seen a few diffeent types of tremelos on SGs and knock off SGs that puzzle me and i haven't found much info online about some of them.

8. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

Hey, I use mine! I know plenty of guys who use it, it just has to be a high-quality one.
    But, that Hagstrom Trem doesn't look machined well. I doubt it stays in tune.

9. Bad Penguin

The operative words being "HIGH QUALITY ONE..." Is yours stock, or a replacement?
    And no, it's not machined well, but the 60's and 70's, intonation and tuning stability were commie words, used by the long haired Cretans who were trying to overthrow the world with their hippy ideas.

PermissionToLand likes this.