If I had to do it all over again

Discussion in 'General Music' started by living room rocker, Dec 17, 2019.

1. living room rocker

living room rocker Active Member

Another week marks the 3 year anniversary this 60 year old dude decided to take up guitar.....have loved every second of it. Didn't know a thing about the major scale or guitar but it's been life changing.....look forward to getting up everyday and learning something new and challenging.

Two biggest things I'd do differently.....incorporate my pinkie more and secondly, view the fretboard in wider patterns. Try as I may, my pinkie just doesn't follow my brain too well. With regard to the fretboard, I work at combining patterns but still view a 12 fret spread mentally divided into 5 boxes. I began taking lessons 6 months ago from a "kid" in his late 20's.....he can shred like lightning and his music theory knowledge is quite impressive. He can shred his way up the neck and leave me cross-eyed. Have kept it fun throughout, balanced challenging myself with reasonable expectations.

Bonzo21, PixMix, fos1 and 2 others like this.
  2. Worblehat

Worblehat Well-Known Member

Congrats on your anniversary. Keep it going!
    I am 2 years and 8 month into my guitar journey now and as you said...it's life changing. To pick up the guitar was the best decision I ever made and I enjoy every second of playing. I am doing online video courses from various sites and also learn songs on the way. I am currently learning basic blues rythm and lead. But I haven't dived into theory as much as you do.

Bonzo21 and living room rocker like this.
  3. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

I think most guitar players have two "if I had to do it all over again" moments:

1. wished they had started to learn to play guitar earlier.
    2. should have bought an SG earlier.

For me:
    1. I started in my mid twenties and I kick myself for not having taken up guitar in my teens.
    2. I have 12 electric guitars. The eleventh one I bought was an SG. That one should have been bought earlier.

living room rocker and Worblehat like this.
  4. Worblehat

I totally agree! I regret not picking up the guitar earlier. I dreamed of playing electric guitar since my teenage years. But it took me until the age of 27 to have the determination to actually do it.

living room rocker likes this.
  5. Chubbles

Chubbles Well-Known Member

Guitars are a life long companion. I bought my first electric in 1978. It's much easier to learn songs now with the internet. It's almost a cheat. It took me 15 minutes to learn BTO, Taking care of business. In the old days, you found someone who knew it, bought a book, or figured it out.

6. Chuteboxehero

Chuteboxehero Well-Known Member

This is a great point. For someone who wants to learn on their own without taking traditional lessons, the internet makes it easier than it ever has been. Unlimited YouTube instructional videos for any style you could ever want to learn, tablature to every song written available instantly... Today's beginner is spoiled with opportunities. Even for the more advanced player, having this resource available makes this a great time to be a player.

7. Bonzo21

Bonzo21 Active Member

If you would allow me to give you a piece of advice... I also started a blues journey (5-6 years-ish ago) and it has been great. One thing that helped me out tremendously (more than backing tracks) was to get a looper. It forced me to learn more rhythms to practice my leads on, and it allowed me to make the connection between the chords and the scales in a more clear way (not just a letter or number on the screen). I'd highly recommend getting one, even a really simple one used.

living room rocker and Worblehat like this.
  8. Bonzo21

Bonzo21 Active Member

Never too old to do something that brings joy to your life! ;) Most of us, myself included, will never get to "professional" level...no matter how long we have. Might as well just enjoy it for what it is eh? :)

9. Worblehat

Thank you for the advice. I appreciate it! Actually I got a looper about a year ago but I haven't used it that much...I know I really should. Most of the time I am too lazy and just put on a backing track on my computer. So thank you for reminding me what a great tool a looper is, especially for the blues. Now I have a new year resolution :)

Bonzo21 and living room rocker like this.