If you could design your own SG type

Discussion in 'SG Copies' started by Horax, Nov 23, 2016.

1. syscokid

syscokid Well-Known Member

Hey... this is fun...

G Dream SG.jpg

jvin248 likes this.
  2. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

It happens. :cheers:

3. Horax

Horax Active Member

4. Horax

Horax Active Member

5. Didds

Didds Active Member

Heres my kinda out there design. I think ESP make something like this.
    Screen Shot 2016-12-01 at 7.26.45 PM.png

And heres a more traditional design. Love bursts on SGs. Forgot to add the chrome tuners. Still looks nice though.
    Screen Shot 2016-12-01 at 7.34.57 PM.png

Quick side note. Why do you get the option to give it f-holes? Is that a thing? You obviously couldn't do it on an average size SG

Attached Files:

6. smitty_p

smitty_p Well-Known Member

I like your design with the Floyd.

As for the F-holes...yes, it could be done on a custom-built SG. Most likely, the body would end up a bit thicker than a normal SG. Otherwise, you'd have a pretty shallow cavity.

As for whether it's a thing...to some it is. I don't know if you've ever played a semi-hollow guitar, such as an ES-335, but they have their own appeal. There are some Telecaster guys who love the Thinline Tele with a single F-hole and prefer it to it's solid-body sibling.

Here's a thread where our own forum member, Wavmixer, is having a semi-hollow SG with F-holes custom built:

http://www.everythingsg.com/threads/wavs-custom-sg-shaped-build-part-duex.31005/

But, since this SG design tool is being offered on a guitar builder's website, I'm assuming he designed the tool such that it provides things he can actually make.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
  7. jvin248

jvin248 Active Member

Some really nice looking guitars mocked up!

The other day I lined up guitar models and stretched the images so that all were the same scale length, I never noticed before but the PRS "Core" guitars seem to have an SG pickup position scheme rather than what I assumed was more of a traditional LP location for the neck pickup (mostly because Paul said he stacked Strat and LP drawings and traced his new body line in between those two curves). I haven't gone back with a ruler and spreadsheet to verify, just overlaid and scaled to fit bridge saddles to nut scale.

A while back someone made a comment on a forum how their SG was 'miles longer' than their Telecaster when sitting down with the guitar on their leg. I had used the same trick with photos back then and it is surprising how much further to reach on an SG than a Tele - due to where the knee cut is relative to the nut. I've seen some mods and some models (Jackson Dinky?) where the bridge is deep on the body like a bass guitar bridge.

Plan to avoid neck dive and a thick body at the neck heel.

So ... if you're designing anything custom and not a copy, take a look at the pickup placement for tone and the ergonomics.

For pickups, put a coil split and parallel coils on the neck pickup of an HH guitar. Using an on/on/on toggle switch in addition to the normal switch you can get series/single/parallel on the neck pickup and achieve the Strat 'quack' tones or the single Tele tones (since the SG neck pickup is usually hotter like a Tele than a Strat plus a cover to dampen the highs). The bridge is hardly ever split since high gain needs the noise reduction of the humbucker.

8. Horax

Horax Active Member

I always thought a slightly larger body for an SG would be nicer as it would sit differently.
    The SG access to frets is great, but yeah, it takes getting used to.

When yo ufirst play an SG after other guitars (I play teles and jags) you're reach for 5 and hit 7. ;)

9. Didds

Didds Active Member

Yeah Ive played a good amount of hollowbodies. I just thought it would be almost impossible on a guitar as thin as an SG

10. Drawde

Drawde Member

I have a semi hollow sg,in the works... kinda stalled out in it though. I never really decided what I wanted to do with it. the body is slightly bigger than a regular sg.[​IMG]

My last thoughts were gretsch vibe sg:
    supertron neck pickup, TV Jones classic plus bridge pickup, and a bigsby b7. could never decide on the finish, Cadillac green, white, ice blue, or silver. maybe a dark green stain.

PermissionToLand likes this.
  11. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

Cadillac Green! I played one of these at GC and couldn't put it down:
    [​IMG]

Although I would want a DynaSonic in the neck. In any case, that is a wicked cool project!

12. Didds

Didds Active Member

That axe reminds me of the cinnamon Jelly Belly flavour

13. syscokid

syscokid Well-Known Member

Well, at least to me... it's like eye-candy... :D

14. Didds

Didds Active Member

That is one cool website. Are there any like this where you can design other models?

15. thx712517

thx712517 New Member

[​IMG]

I'd like to stop the neck-diving. Whether that's a strap button behind the top horn instead of the heel of the neck, light weight tuners, or having the neck join the body at a lower fret, not having to worry about neck-diving would be number one.

If it's more stable on the strap, then you can beef up the neck thickness. I've played a few G400s, especially the worn/faded ones, that have a thick neck. I also like the satin finish.

deci belle likes this.
  16. deci belle

deci belle New Member

'69 RW SG jr.jpg
    I did this one I like a lot. I wish I could choose the jr-style round plastic tuner buttons. I asked the graphic designer to please add that feature so I could!

I'd have this one made with the full-size (6-hole) cavity and load up the un-used room with just enough lead to balance out the neck-dive. I don't know how much weight it would take, but the location of the weight would be perfect.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
    Didds likes this.