I'm needin' some EB0 bass info

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by TNT, Jun 12, 2008.

1. TNT

TNT Active Member

Here's the deal. A sargeant in my squad is looking for a '68 EB0 bass. He got ripped off on ebay from a seller supposedly selling one. He says he wants that specific year but wants to only spend $1200.00USD. He's a few years behind the curve because '68's go for much more than that.

I told you that to ask you this... are there many if any changes to the EB0 between, say '65 and '74? I know this is right in Tom's area of expertise but maybe there are some other SG bass buffs out there.

I know some have the slotted peghead and some not but as far as neck shape, etc that would actually make a difference to a gigging bassist is the info I need.

2. Alex

Alex Administrator Staff Member

3. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

4. Daniel

Daniel Active Member

that's a great looking EB-0 Voxy. it almost makes you think it was restored. I still prefer EB-3s though.

5. Six String

Six String Moderator Staff Member

As usual, I am learning and the more I learn the more I find I don't...... I wasn't aware that the EBO had the slotted head. Mine has the "standard head" and I think now seeing both, my preference is towards the standard. But that's just me. Not playing a lot of bass and not having a lot to compare to, I don't know about the neck shapes and how they've changed. Maybe some pix will help?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My understanding is that this is either a 65 or 67... and yes I have noticed the piece (whatever it's called...) normally located on the pick guard was relocated to above the strings. I assume it was possibly for a thumb rest???

6. TNT

TNT Active Member

I found a '72 EB3 on Gbase that the SGT is in love with. Don't know if he dropped the hammer yet. We might get a new member at ESG out of the deal anyhoo. :)

7. MauritsP

MauritsP Member

[quote author=Six String link=topic=17111.msg213962#msg213962 date=1214069308]
    My understanding is that this is either a 65 or 67... and yes I have noticed the piece (whatever it's called...) normally located on the pick guard was relocated to above the strings. I assume it was possibly for a thumb rest???
    [/quote]

When located on the guard it'd be a tug bar, to anchor your fingers on when playing with you thumb.

8. dcooper

dcooper Member

we got one layin around here, EB3 1966 I think hand rest missing, thin neck profile , about same as my 64 es 335 or a little larger than my 60 les paul , real nice playing guitars

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. q-4000-SG Guy

q-4000-SG Guy New Member

10. TNT

TNT Active Member

Sarge bought a road warrior '71 EB3 for a fair price on Gbase.