im proud of mysself right now...

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Raging Taco, Aug 20, 2009.

1. Raging Taco

Raging Taco Member

as we all know, audacity is probably the worst recording software known to man. being that its free, and basically useless in all aspects of recording, and life.

but, my friends band was looking for somewhere to record for cheap... so i got to thinking, and i decided i could do it for them for like, 50 bucks. hahahaha.

but REALLY, listen to how good this sounds for being on audacity! its the 2nd song on their page called "We Stopped At Romance", not the first one.

id really like to know what you guys think about how it sounds. I'm pretty sure i did amazing for being on audacity. lol

go to www.myspace.com/realthisjustin to hear it!

2. Atchy

Atchy Member

It sounds OK. But I really feel like I need to point something out which seems to be a very common misconception. The DAW you use does not effect sound quality, its all about interface and workflow. There is no reason you cant get a recording sounding as good as say pro tools or cubase in audacity. You are using the same hardware.

Now you will notice differences when it comes to mixing for sure! Once you start to use professional plugins the major DAWs start to come into their own, but until then its the same set of skills and the same end result.

Btw if you are getting paid AT ALL to record I strongly recommend investing in something like Cubase. IMO time spent learning and grappling with audacity is a total waste. Time is a valuable thing and you could spend it learning some decent software!

3. Matt Rayner

Matt Rayner Member

Audacity is brilliant.

Maybe you'd like to design something better and offer it free?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
    Biddlin likes this.
  4. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Audacity is a fine program - for certain things.

I use it for general editing, normalizing audio, some pseudo-mastering, etc.

I do not use it to record audio, I do that on Pro Tools or the Teac 2488.

I have had many pieces I processed through Audacity licensed for TV soundtracks so I know it is capable of producing industry-standard quality audio.

5. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

I like Audacity, as I posted. And another good free DAWS is available from PreSonus, the Studio One Free.

6. sgtbeefheart

sgtbeefheart Well-Known Member

Why the drums on the right?

7. Matt Rayner

Matt Rayner Member

I'm still on Sonar 6.
    I also like Ableton.
    Demos- of course.

8. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

I could learn more about Ableton - it seems to be quite popular and has a lot it can do. I have no idea what, though. What's the deal with the "Star Trek- NG" board game interface?

[​IMG]

9. Matt Rayner

Matt Rayner Member

You should check out all the free demos and then decide which you like best.
    I have licensed versions of Sonar and Ableton Live.
    I have to say, Ableton is just amazing and does everything, but then I always come back to Cakewalk cos I've been on it so long.
    If I had the cash for just one, I'd say Ableton.