Info On 2017 Standard T and 2018 Standard Needed

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by colchar, Apr 7, 2020.

1. colchar

colchar Active Member

I am currently looking into acquiring a used 2013 SG Standard but a couple of other possibilities have presented themselves. Since I know nothing about those models/years I figured I would rely on the expertise here.

The first one is a 2017 Standard T. I believe that is the traditional style, not the allegedly high performance style. Can anyone give me info on this model - quality, specs, comparison to a 2013 Standard, basically any and all info and opinions would be appreciated.

The second is a 2018 Standard ($300 more than the 2017). I would appreciate the same info on this model.

Are there any major differences between these two, and what is the consensus here on which one someone should purchase?

Thanks in advance folks.

2. skelt101

skelt101 Active Member

The biggest difference I can find between the 2017 and 2018 are the pickups (57 Classics vs 61R/T). The 2013 is more similar to a 61 Reissue. Quality should be judged on an individual basis, not year/era. There are always "good" and "bad" ones (i.e. try before you buy if possible). Specs for recent years can be found here:
    http://legacy.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG/Gibson-USA.aspx

3. colchar

colchar Active Member

Yeah I shouldn't have said quality as I am forever pointing out that there is no such thing as a good year or a bad year.

Thanks for that link, I have no idea why my search turned up different results.

From the info there it seems like the 2017 is the better deal since it is available for $999 (assuming it is in good shape).

4. Derald

Derald Member

Both the '17 and '18 are modern Standard styles with the modern neck joint and slim taper neck. I had a '17 and own an '18. Binding on the neck is white. Locking tuners. The '17 has Classic 57s and the '18 has the Gibson 61s, as stated by skelt101. They are otherwise identical (besides color). The '13 (of which I have as well) has 'reissue 61' specs like the vintage neck joint and vintage style tuners (not locking). My particular '13 SG has a thicker neck than my '18. The body carves are deeper on the '13 than my '18. The '13 has Classic 57s and hand wired pots. The '17 and '18 both had PCB. I swapped out the pots on my '13 because I did't like how stiff they were.
    The generalized rule is that they all play great and you'll have to decide on the one you want based on how it plays for you. No one is ever going to notice Gibson 61's vs. Classic 57s except you. They are almost identical in tone. Not exactly the same, just very similar. To me the Gibson 61s have more edge and are more aggressive than the Classic 57s. In my opinion however the SG + Classic 57s are the best Gibson guitar/pickup combo they've ever made.

Looks aside, you pick the one that plays the nicest. The '17/'18s have more features like the locking tuners. The '13 has a nicer look, to me. That's why I got both!

colchar likes this.
  5. Derald

Derald Member

Dollar for dollar the '17/'18 Standards are the best Gibson has made in a long time. If you like the Classic 57s the '17 is the ticket. The '13 has a more vintage look, but looks don't have tone. You have to like the tone.

6. colchar

colchar Active Member

All are used, and it is tough to try them out since stores are closed down due to the pandemic. But I am a regular, and well known customer, and they have a good return policy so I think I will have to buy and then decide whether to keep the guitar or not.

The '13 and '17 are on the other side of the country. The '13 is on hold until tomorrow and was described as being in 7/10 condition. I will ask the sales person I am dealing with to get pictures for me so that I can determine that for myself. Then again, the guitar tech at the store is a friend of mine so any issues can be easily dealt with. I don't know what the asking price is on the '13.

I have no idea what condition the '17 is in, but can have it checked out and have pictures sent. I do know that it is available for $999.

The '18 is in the same province as me, but is a couple of hours away. The sales person didn't mention whether it was new or used, and it is available for $1299.

My preference is the '13, but everything will depend on its condition and price.

Demon Dave likes this.
  7. fishlog

fishlog New Member

My Number one guitar at the moment and working on a solid year now is a 2017 Standard... It beat out a 2019 Standard 61' which had terrible neck flex.

Interestingly enough it also beat out another 2017 SG of the same make, model and even color. Yes I owned two of the same guitar which sounds really stupid and is a long boring story.

Point I wanted to make was they were so damn close in every way and I would have been happy with either. Quality was top notch on both... no issues with Gibson here. That being said one still "felt" better to me than the other. So yeah its not about year or looks or anything some just have something and only way to know is to play them.

I suggest buying all three and selling the two that don't "do it" for you.

Yeah who has the money/wife to do that! lol

8. arcticsg

arcticsg Well-Known Member

Of the 3, the 2013 is my favorite.

But, I do like the 2017s :smile:

[​IMG]

9. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

What kind of neck profile do you prefer?