inlay material

Discussion in 'Tone Zone' started by dr purple, Jan 1, 2005.

1. dr purple

dr purple Member

i have a question. what is the difference between acrylic and pearloid? i noticed gibson has those 2 as the main inlay material for there recent guitars. i also noticed acrylic looks a little more like MOP. could anyone fill me in?

2. CharlieB

CharlieB Active Member

I BELIEVE - not totally sure here - that the acrylic is a type of vinyl, while pearloid is celluloid.

Having said that - Gibson is probably just denoting two different patterns of NON-mother-of-pearl inlay material... as opposed to the real McCoy*

REAL MOP is very hard - brittle in fact. My old Guild has real pearl inlay. The fretboard has divots. The inlay is divot free. Totally hard stuff.

[​IMG]
    *Dammit Jim I'm a doctor not a luthier!

3. entropydave

entropydave Member

Great Pic Charlie!! I was always told that the mother-of-plastic they use is celluloid with ground up real MOP in it.
    I think it is horrible stuff anyway - kinda cute and kitschy on some nice old vintage guitar, but for gods sake their guitars are expensive enough to have real MOP or a better material than bloody plastic!

rant over.

ps Happy Noo year Charlie!

4. skidshark

skidshark Active Member

good to see ya Dave! :D

(and i agree with you...they should have the real thing for what they cost!