interesting article relating to tuning

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by AngusMadeMeDoIt, Jul 9, 2014.

1. AngusMadeMeDoIt

AngusMadeMeDoIt Well-Known Member

2. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, helping a friend design a knitting machine
    That article is the drool dripping down an idiot's chin.

Alex_SG likes this.
  3. shreddy bender

shreddy bender Well-Known Member

Thank you Don!
    Now I don't have to read it and I can go to jam night at the Fed!
    See you guys tomorrow! Have a great (or mediocre) night!

4. AngusMadeMeDoIt

I mean to be fair I said it was interesting. I never said it was better than standard tuning or that I was adopting it. I like to keep an open mind and just wanted to hear the fellow forumers thoughts. Don't shoot me! :D

5. donepearce

No shooting necessary. It is important therapy to let these people write stuff. Like basket-making at the old folks home.

6. AngusMadeMeDoIt

Lmfao. The last sentence was pure gold.

7. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Well-Known Member

I found it interesting. I'm biased though. I rarely ever tune to concert pitch. Whenever I play in standard it's always pitched at C or C#, never at E.

AngusMadeMeDoIt likes this.
  8. donepearce

The problem with the article is that the guy hadn't thought through what was happening. The patterns on the Chladni plate are a consequence of the wavelength of the sound in relation to the dimensions of the plate. Had his plate been a little smaller he would have concluded that 440 was dead right. A little smaller still and he would be telling us we should tune to 450.

He saw an effect he only half understood and built a conjecture on it. It is unfortunate that he was in public when he voiced it, rather than in the lab where the prof could have taken him aside and set some homework to help him get it.

9. potatofarmer

potatofarmer Member

10. donepearce

Is the link wrong? The article I find at the end of it is a piece of garbage, whose arguments add up to nothing more then "I quite like the sound of 432Hz tuning". There's a bit of bogus numerology, a slice of mythology, some appalling attempts at "aligning" to planetary periods. All it was missing was chakras.

11. potatofarmer

potatofarmer Member

The link that started this thread? Yeah, there is no basis whatsoever for any of its assertions. I really like the "Hertz so good" article because it does a great job explaining equal temperament, the history of tuning standards, and so on. Stuff most people would've never thought about without the "432 Hz" silliness going around.

12. Tobacco Worm

Tobacco Worm Well-Known Member

Oh, I have been saved. I've shaved my head. Now I wear orange robes and sandals. From this day forward I'll have crystals or at least pointy rocks taped to my head. I can now be found chanting at the local airport in order to convert all to the "tuning of the one" with droning chants of sonic peace. Walking about the airport among the two old Piper Cubs and the crop dusters dreaming of world peace through the "one tuning" has given me a purpose..... and a criminal record after the arrest and transport to the mental institute for evaluation.

Cast off all thought of 440... it is evil and will give your dog fleas and your mother in law will be come attractive to you. Oh how could I have been deceived for all these years thinking that 440 was a reasonable standard. Oh how foolish of me. And I owe it all to those idiots that don't know their ass from a hole in the ground! I am aligned with the planet Zarfoid in the Yellow Plaid Underwear Galaxy and have the invisible ones about me for my protectors. I'm quite safe and well guarded...... Oh! Who... Stop! Don't touch me I'm protected by;;;; What? Who are you?!! Wait! Leave me alone! No I won't go with you! I'll report you to the Grand Moose! ARRrrrrggggggg!___ Thud.....

We interrupt this post to announce that Wade, though heavily sedated and restrained, is quite alright and will be soon residing at "Happy Farms" a nice quiet mental sanitarium out in the woods nearby. He's no longer allowed out in the public as the rocks he called crystals were in fact rocks in his head.... This has been a lesson sponsored by those that function by logic and established principles of music theory and not cosmic horse droppings!

13. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

I posted a long article before on another forum in relation to this post.

First off, there is a lot of unsupported evidence in those "A should be a lower pitch" metaphysical articles.

If one reads Hans Cousto's book "The Cosmic Octave" you will learn that there is no single pitch reference that is "mathematically consistent with the patterns of the universe."

Depending on what you are measuring you will find pitches ranging from 422.87 for the periodic cycle of Neptune adjusted to the audible spectrum to a high of 445.86 for the moon's synodic cycle.

Also if you read Juan G Roederer's "Introduction to the Physics and Psychoacoustics of Music" you will learn that how people hear and experience pitch is not as simple and straightforward as the low-A crowd would have you believe. Also, all the "partials" mentioned are harmonics, which are mathematically related to the root pitch and are always as such in proportion no matter what the pitch may be.

Also in the past pitch was not simply lower- it was all over the place even in the same cities.

I have also heard the same sort of claims for music that is in "just intonation" rather than tempered tuning, again the nature of human psychoacoustics proves that to be wishful thinking too.

some references:

The Rise and Fall of English Pitch

Note that pitches were as high as 455 at one time

Wiki -"Some idea of the variance in pitches can be gained by examining old pitchpipes, organ pipes and other sources. For example, an English pitchpipe from 1720[2] plays the A above middle C at 380 Hz, (info) while the organs played by Johann Sebastian Bach in Hamburg, Leipzig and Weimar were pitched at A = 480 Hz (info) (a difference of around four semitones). "

Bach, a very spiritual composer, played on organs tuned as high as 480!

http://www.ling.ohio-state.edu/~mcguire/Ling500/FrequenciesandTunings.pdf

Here's one for you:

Ancient chanting influenced temple designs

"In subsequent OTSF testing, stone rooms in ancient temples in Malta were found to match the same pattern of resonance, registering at the frequency of 110 or 111 hz. This turns out to be a significant level
    for the human brain."

So this temple was designed for A440! (A110 is just 2 octaves lower than A 440. thus you can "prove" any pitch has spiritual significance.

In Indian music, which is closely tied to cosmology, there is no concept traditionally of a standard pitch - you tuned Sa, the tonic, to whatever sounded and/or felt right, and then everything was based on relationships to the tonic drone note. Believe me, if there was any specific "spritual" pitch these guys would use it!

Anyway, I do not accept this belief, and I am definitely one of those that would if there was any real evidence.

Keep tuning to 440.​

WavMixer, smitty_p and Bullfrog like this.