Introducing myself, Caribbean luthier

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Jonathan Krogh, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Jonathan Krogh

Jonathan Krogh New Member

Good day gents, I stumbled onto this forum tonight while tripping through the web for a few bevel photos and the never ending debate about what an SG body thickness should be.
    Anyways, I've been building and repairing guitars and tube amps for about 12 years, the first few bodies I built were of course SG's and I am currently building a pair again.
    I am enjoying the threads about the projects being built and would like to put up a few shots of the last pair I built a few years ago, I suppose I could do an ongoing build thread as well in a few days.
    I also build a line of handbuilt amps, and recently built some basses as well, but for now I would like to wallow in SG with you guys for a bit.

Attached Files:

koaguilds likes this.
  2. Jonathan Krogh

Here are a few more, this second ones bookmatched top is a guyanese wood called 'hububalli' which I sometimes suspect is the same thing i've seen named hedua, or shedua.

The main wood I use for body cores is local west indian mahogany. Where I live is on the coast of venezuela and we have that tropical rainforest, but quite frankly the mahogany is the only local wood I've found useful for luthiery. Over the years I've been using more and more maple in the necks for added sustain and harmonics, and for fretboards I import the usual rosewoods and ebonies from LMI and Stewmac. I am also a big fan of graphite rods, deep neck joints and neck volutes, my early paranoia of buying guitars and shipping them long distances to the tropics makes me tend to overbuild necks to reduce humidity movements and rough transport handling and so on.
    Hope you guys like my SG's
    Thanks
    J.K.

Attached Files:

koaguilds likes this.
  3. Mr. Happy

Mr. Happy Well-Known Member

I really love the second one!!

4. Alex_SG

Alex_SG Well-Known Member

Jonathon, welcome to the best SG forum this side of everywhere! Glad to see another talented luthier on the list!!!
    My grandfather worked in Trinidad back in the 20's or 30's... He was from Barbados, but his family was originally from England.
    Hope you enjoy the forum, and if you have any more SG photos, I'd love to see them!
    Cheers
    Alex

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  5. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Gorgeous guitars . Welcome .

6. smitty_p

smitty_p Well-Known Member

Wow, we didn't even have to say, "Pics, or it didn't happen!" This guy posted pics right off the bat. Excellent. Welcome, Jonathan, you'll fit right in!

Of course, almost anyone can fit in here, as long as they don't track a mess in on the carpet.:naughty:

7. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

:dunno:Aw c'mon Smitty, I cleaned it up !:laugh2:

8. DavidJ

DavidJ Active Member

Gorgeous! Especially number 2. I like the neck joint too.

Welcome!

9. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Beautiful SG's ! I love the use of the Norlin short tenon SG as a model, because I've grown to like where that puts the neck pickup in relation to string length.

10. Jonathan Krogh

Thanks for the warm welcome guys.

ddb, you really hit the mark there, I have several norlinish neck features likely because I own a 78 lefthanded Standard (yes im lefty). Although I dont reaaaally like the Norlins body outlines and layouts compared to the classic setup, and never tried to copy the 78, i've latched on to a few of their features
    a) I put 24 frets on the fb and use the space that the classics have the plastic spacer, thereby butting the fb against the neck pickup like a norlin, tho the pickups are still located like a classic (on my 78 the '24th fret' harmonic is above the neck pickup screw coil, like a strat).
    b) I put volutes on everything, and quartersawn laminates.
    c) I have the fretboard 'flush' with the body top, rather than raised, and angle the heel joint accordingly (I keep the TOM pretty low to the body). Its a visual thing for me on all my guitars but I cant help but feel it makes a stronger neck joint as well on SGs, even though I don't use Gibsons style of neck joint at all. That curved point neck heel I do is just an idea that came to me, I think it helps the joint rigidity and adds some more glue area, and you cant feel it at all when you play up there.

Alex i'd like to hear about your family story in the area, I am a big fan of barbados myself. Also I think there are relatively quite a few Trinis over in perth as well!

11. smitty_p

smitty_p Well-Known Member

I find it interesting where you put the strap button. Do you find the guitar balances better with the button behind the upper horn?

12. SG John

SG John Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum Jonathan. Can't wait to see some more. The two guitars you've posted are gorgeous. Do you have a website with more of your work?

13. peter taft

peter taft Member

Very VERY nice, great craftsmanship ! :wow:

14. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

I'm impressed, 24 frets, interesting woods and design...again, welcome!

15. Jonathan Krogh

I don't have a website up yet, but its in the early stages of development. I've been reluctant to launch a site before having a well varied portfolio, but soon I hope.
    I want to ask you guys opinion on this, i've done a bookmatched top thats a bit dramatic because some burl type of streaks make for some dark patches. Here it is with a single coat of nitro, should I leave the color natural, darker brown, red, trans black? The neck on this is maple with a macassar ebony fretboard, abalone dots.

Attached Files:

16. sgtbeefheart

sgtbeefheart Well-Known Member

I'm sure you'll get lots of suggestions, but have you seen this?

SG Guitar Editor

Great for testing ideas.

17. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

I vote for natural... the beauty of this wood should be enhanced, not concealed.
    I'll modify my vote to be for the finish that shows this wood at its best, I confess that I don't know enough about finishes to be able to say confidently which one would do this best. but let the wood speak, that's my opinion.

also, welcome to ETSG. we will all appreciate your input on the issues that arise here.

18. Jonathan Krogh

Heres an update snapshot of that wild topped SG, about halfway along a nitro finish.

Attached Files:

Dorian likes this.
  19. sgtbeefheart

sgtbeefheart Well-Known Member

It's going to look great in a natural finish, nice job.

20. SG John

SG John Well-Known Member

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That looks great.

:dude: