Is An SG A Gorgeous Guitar?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by NMA, Jan 30, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jurgen

Jurgen New Member

Well, what is it?

PermissionToLand likes this.
  2. Jurgen

Jurgen New Member

My nephew has one, and it sounds like Malcolm Young begat it from his loins. It's such a great guitar.

PermissionToLand and pancake81 like this.
  3. Jurgen

Jurgen New Member

Well said, and I would add that life would be boring if everyone had the same tastes. One of my friends loves gold hardware. I do not. That doesn't make him a dick, or me either.

4. Jurgen

Jurgen New Member

I see I must break out the heavy ammunition.
    I do believe this picture will change your minds about Rickenbackers not being gorgeous:

[​IMG]

[/QUOTE]

5. Jurgen

Jurgen New Member

It's a beautiful guitar! I prefer the WB models with front binding and a non-rounded front edge.

NMA likes this.
  6. Tony Romano

Tony Romano New Member

Well said!!

7. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Active Member

Fortunately taste can also change. It was the same with me, hell, I didn't even like covers on pups, but then I found a guitar that to me was the most beautiful, yet still aggressive enough for my taste, I've ever seen and guess what? Gold hardware, covered pups. So now I firmly believe that you can throw anything you want at me but nothing will ever beat the candy apple red SG Diablo. But then perhaps one of these days...

8. Michael Blackmore

Michael Blackmore New Member

I reckon my '13 SG Standard is a gorgeous looking guitar. Hollow body Gretsch's and Rick's don't do much for me.

9. ezypikins

ezypikins New Member

Yes, beauty Is in the eye of the beholder. And when I'm playing my SG's, I be holding some beauty.

10. Jezclayton

Jezclayton Member

Another bum note!

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
  11. Jezclayton

Jezclayton Member

Sorry. Duplicated post.

12. Jezclayton

Jezclayton Member

And if I could have any Gretsch on my wall to stare at in awe. It would most certainly be this one! What a magnificent piece this is. Look at the radiant beauty flow out of it like a precious painting.
    (Yes I am serious)

[​IMG]

Totally agree. I adore that guitar because it tells a story, one that has given me many years of happiness in life. Whilst I would love to own one of the original signatures (£20k in the UK now) I am lucky enough to have one of the current Japanese issues. Still not cheap at £2.5K, but sounds great and most playable, unlike the above which sadly needs to be locked away.

13. Jezclayton

Jezclayton Member

Aargh

14. Jezclayton

Jezclayton Member

To me the SG is a beautiful thing but then I am a guitarist. A good SG is the type of guitar that moulds to your persona. It is capable of expressing your most inner most thoughts whilst dwelling on the moments for ages as it howls out the most glorious feedback tones. Whether you play Punk, Hard Rock or Reggae, the SG is always the one you just don't leave behind.

Unfortunately, the best of an SG comes out when plugged directly into a Marshall at full blast. Not all of us get to experience that first hand, but boy is it addictive. My favourite is to use the '78 MV Combo and and rock out AC/DC riffs for hours on end. No effects required.

15. Jezclayton

Jezclayton Member

Get away with you. Bet you'd take the legs.

16. Jezclayton

Jezclayton Member

Yeah, all very well, but it makes you look a right knob. No offense. I do empathise with the reasoning and fun factor, and bought a Fiesta ST Performance Pack for the same reasons. Drives like a go-kart, turning cycle not great due to the 18" wheels, but I love it. Would I call it cool. No, but there again I proclaim it to be my wife's car. Incidentally, she gets nearly 50 mpg out of it yet I only manage about 28. Whats is she doing wrong?

17. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, helping a friend design a knitting machine
    I am 70 and have no self-image requirements (translation - I don't give a f*ck what anyone thinks about me), so looking like a right knob is a zero-impact factor. But I do love the way it moves.

Gahr and pancake81 like this.
  18. Jezclayton

Jezclayton Member

Always wanted to add a Rickenbacker bass to my collection. A fearsome tool that can sound like a Jumbo during take-off. Think Lemmy during both his time with Hawkwind (Space Ritual) and of course Motorhead. Then you have Geddy Lee with Rush, Chris Squires with Yes and of course Bruce Foxton of the Jam.

rotorhead likes this.
  19. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, helping a friend design a knitting machine
    Legs are OK, but for me their main function is to hold all the good stuff off the ground.

Jezclayton likes this.
  20. Jezclayton

Jezclayton Member

Funny you say that. When I first looked at the car I told the salesman no way could I drive that. After being persuaded to go on a test run (still made him drive) all misconceptions went out of the window. Whilst I am marginally younger at 57, I too will always put enjoyment before what anyone else thinks. Good on you.

By the way. I am also a **** guitarist, even after 40+ years of trying, but hell yeah!

pancake81 and donepearce like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.