Is the electronic of the Sg Mann guitar is enough for Gibson Pickups

Discussion in 'SG Copies' started by Daniel L, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Daniel L

Daniel L New Member

Hi,
    Is the electronic of an old Sg Mann guitar is enough for a pair of Gibson Pickups to get the SG sound (similar tone) ? (images included)

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Huntroll likes this.
  2. Bad Penguin

Bad Penguin Active Member

Sorry this took so bloody long to reply to, but the board has been acting up.
    Ok, Mann is Ibanez branded for the Canadian market. I would replace the electronics for the simple reason they are 40 or so years old, and were never the highest quality to begin with.

Ray likes this.
  3. Daniel L

Daniel L New Member

It's ok,
    Well the guitar is 44 years old (1975) ... you're surely right but it's a bit difficult to me to retire the old wiring kit !
    But i will surely do it !
    This guitar surprise me ... she's always in tune ... i do not know why but the bridge is different...i like it !
    Thanks BP !

4. Bad Penguin

The bridge is a copy of the old Schaller "harmonica" bridge common on Gibby's in the 70's. Ibanez also used a variation of that bridge in the early mid 80's on the Artist. Personally I LOVE the harmonica and it's copies.

5. Daniel L

Daniel L New Member

BP you seem to know a lot about these guitars .. what can i do to get the best from this guitar ? (if its possible)

6. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Well-Known Member

What does it sound like as it is?

7. Bad Penguin

Well Dan, I am an Ibanezhead, and damn proud of it! I have 12 of them right now.

The pickups you have, are more then likely MAXON. Now, Maxon's can be decent, or, not so much so. At that time period it's entirely possible the "humbuckers" are actually a single coil in a humbucker housing.

If you have the cash, a good set of buckers will do the guitar justice. If you have the flat wallet syndrome, then I suggest a simple rewiring to Gibson specs. I suggest the 50's wiring, since it will bring out the treble a bit. Check these two diagrams, and try it. It only costs a few minutes of your time.
    https://guitarelectronics.com/2-humbuckers-3-way-toggle-switch-2-volumes-2-tones/
    https://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/tips-and-tricks/lespaulwiring

One of the issues with Japanese guitars, is the tone control, and how the cap goes to ground. While not a bad thing, it doesn't allow the pickup to open up. But it's in the listeners ears, so it's kinda subjective. If using coil taps, I prefer the cap to ground myself. But hey, your mileage may vary. Hope this helps.

8. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

Are you talking about having the cap between the pot lug and ground as opposed to having it between the two pot lugs of the volume and tone?

Could you please elaborate on this more?

PermissionToLand likes this.
  9. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

IMO, any electric guitar with a proper setup, decent set of pickups and wiring plugged into a good amp will sound fine regardless of the name on the headstock.

jtees4, Ray and plankton like this.
  10. Bad Penguin

Like I said, it's subjective to the listeners ear, but I prefer the sound of the cap between the vol and tone pot, UNLESS I am doing a coil tap by using the tone control. The older Gibson wiring from the 50's allowed a bit more treble to come out. but again, it's all subjective.

11. warmachine

warmachine Member

Cool looking SG copy! As an early early bolt on neck copy of a Gibson SG there is always room for improvement.

1) I’d focus on giving it a good setup first.

2) Make sure the polepiece screws follow the arc of the strings above them

3) After that I’d drop the pickups down quite a bit till they sit just
    1/8” above pickguard level and start playing your favorite riff over and over. Then based on what you hear, give each pickup height screw a quarter of a turn at a time to raise the pickup. Hopefully you find the “Almost Gibson tone”.

3) Once you get in the ballpark then tweak the polepiece screws to fine tune things

If you find you like one pickup but hate the other, or hate em both, then replace based on your budget.

I didnt like the stock Maxon bridge pickup in my Les Paul copy but I loved the Maxon neck pickup...so I replaced the bridge with a Gibson 57 Classic. Guitar sounds beautiful now!

PermissionToLand likes this.
  12. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

That's interesting, I'd heard/been told before that the position of the cap didn't matter. All mine are from pot lug to ground, I may have to try the other way sometime and see what I think. Thanks

13. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

I think it sounds like you're asking if the stock electronics would be able to handle the output of a Gibson pickup. To that, the answer is yes.

In fact, they may not be stock because the pots are full size and most '70s Japanese copies used those dime-size pots. I would say, if anything, replace the cheap box switch. Those are always really loose and scratchy in my experience.

As for pickups, if you're on a budget, start by just buying one pickup. I've always done it that way, and it's worked out better for me because of that. It's hard to know what you will like based on vague descriptions you read online about pickups, so buying a set is a bigger commitment and leap of faith than just one pickup. Then, when you have the money for another, get something different and put it in the other position, or swap them around and that way you can compare directly and start to form an opinion on what you like.

For pickups on a budget, I highly recommend GuitarFetish. They are usually around $30 per pickup and the tone quality is really not very different from the more expensive pickups out there.

https://www.guitarfetish.com/GFS-Guitar-Pickups_c_7.html

jtees4 likes this.
  14. Satellitedog

Satellitedog Active Member

I think it is Mann enough for Gibsons...

15. Daniel L

Daniel L New Member

Hi guys,
    This is the pickups from the SG ... anyone know whay is it ?

Attached Files:

16. Bad Penguin

Ibanez/Maxon pickups. Early mid 70's

17. Huntroll

Huntroll Active Member

In my opinion, I wouldn't touch it.

It is now an original classic.

Keep it as it is, stash it away, and get a real Gibson.

Down the road, you'll be glad you did.

Gibson's are plentiful, what I see in your pictures are not.

Go to your local Guitar Center and look around, you'll see many Gibsons to choose from, don't be in a hurry, the right SG will come along.

There are guitar collectors nowadays that would be thrilled with that old thing just the way it is.

Good luck !

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019