Is this neck twisted?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Steve D, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

?

2. deMelo

deMelo Well-Known Member

Just onde more piece of info.

Don’t try to check a neck for twisting by looking it down by the headstock.

The nut, the string heights and the headstock will often look off, when the fretboard itself isn’t.

Many guitars have headstocks that aren’t 100% aligned with the FB.

P.S. I repeat: minor twists do happen more often than people notice them, and it’s no big deal. If it twists really BAD, then yes, you’ll notice while playing, and then it’s time to do something.

99% of the intonation and playability issues on good guitars will go away with a good set up and fret leveling.

3. Lunacy the Faded

Lunacy the Faded Active Member

A chiropractor can fix that!!

DrBGood and Biddlin like this.
  4. sazista

sazista Active Member

Bring it to a luthier and put your mind to rest.

5. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

If you really, Really, REALLY need to put your mind to rest bring it to a store w/a Plek machine. There they will scan it for $35 and you will know everything about that neck, nut, fretboard and frets down to .001 of an inch, and that's on a bad day!

Biddlin likes this.
  6. poppunk

poppunk Member

I've seen twists pretty obviously on several of my guitars I've worked on (often can just eyeball it), and the way I've been able to reasonably measure them is with a neck straight edge tool (the kind with the frets cut out so it touches the fingerboard) on consistent radius guitars (compound is a little more challenging). If I measure between every string and at the edges of the outside strings I can see how the gaps change between frets. There can be some variability if the fingerboard is a bit inconsistent, but you can average it. So if you really want an absurdly overdone exercise in this area, measure the gap between every set of frets, working from the nut all the way down, at all five gaps between strings and at the two outside edges. You'll end up with 147 measurements across the board that you can graph at seven spots across each fret gap. For extra fun, graph this in three dimensions.

And they're definitely not a big deal unless the twist is really significant because as deMelo states, leveling the frets will make up for it. If the twist is the height of the fret from side to side, you have a serious problem, but if it's much less than that it's not a big deal. Guitars are typically made of wood; technically there are twists and bends all over the place, it's just a matter of whether they are significant enough to care.

7. Fumble fingers

Fumble fingers Member

I have a twisted neck on a G&L strat type guitar and it happened over night and there is no way to play the guitar with that neck once that Birdseye neck twisted it was done , it cost close to 600.00 to replace the neck ( bolt on neck )… so based on that if you can play it then it's not twisted from my experience

8. Robert Morris

Robert Morris Member

?

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019