It done happened again! (NGD: Nameless SG)

Discussion in 'SG Copies' started by Kabrijj, May 9, 2018.

1. Kabrijj

Kabrijj Active Member

Well, I certainly didn't wake up thinking I'd buy a guitar today, but sometimes they just sneak up on ya!

IMG_20180509_184907s.jpg

I guess technically it's not a NGD, but most of the pieces are there (and those that aren't, I've already got -- I like to keep parts on hand for just such an emergency!)

IMG_20180509_193119s.jpg

But I've got no idea what it is. What it will be is a cool SG copy!

IMG_20180509_193123s.jpg

The inlays are sweet, the binding is a nice touch... the posts are probably metric, although I haven't actually investigated that yet. I did see this guitar before it was parted out: the previous owner had Gibson pickups and tuners on it, but the posts on the bridge were the bigger ones you typically see on imports (with the flathead adjustment slot). The holes for the pots are definitely the smaller, import sized ones.

IMG_20180509_193134s.jpg

As mentioned, the tuners were Gibson, and I think putting some nice Klusons on there will cover up the extra (presumably the original) hole.

IMG_20180509_193148s.jpg

Bonus! Set neck.

It's solid wood (not laminate), for whatever that's worth.

I'll post some pics after I get it up and running. A little fretboard cleanup, maybe enlarge the holes for the pots, some solder and boom: it's SG time.

In the meantime, anybody have any guesses what this is or where this is from? Hard to tell with no name on it, harder to tell with no parts on it...

But whatever, I dig it! And will probably enjoy it even more when it's got strings and pickups and all the usual parts associated with a guitar.

(the jury is still out whether it's cat-approved or not)

2. Duane_the_tub

Duane_the_tub Member

No idea what it is, but I like it. Congrats, can't wait to see how it turns out.

3. Buzzin_Cousin

Buzzin_Cousin New Member

Can you guestimate at all as to what country it may have been made in? MLP may be able to help you as well.

Interesting that the headstock is blank with no evidence of anything being removed, and the fretboard looks good from a distance.

4. JazzyJeff

JazzyJeff Member

I recognize a couple things, the "heel" joint on the neck. the truss rod cover. even the extra hole (original) from the cheap tuners. controls set diagonally. Kit from the China. But, it can still make you a good guitar. probably mahogany neck, possibly mahogany body. Hopefully they got a good neck set. I just had to take one apart that was put in too flat. (I made the mistake of copying the control positions on my first prototype body, that has been corrected)

Kabrijj likes this.
  5. Kabrijj

Kabrijj Active Member

I'm not sure. If I had to guess I'd go with one of those countries that's adept at making a guitar look good but maybe not play so hot. :lol:

I got the itch to play it this evening, so I slapped on an old Epi bridge, some Klusons and some Lace humbuckers. Oh, and strings :smile:. No electronics yet...

It doesn't play terribly. The bridge is about as low as it'll go without some modifications, and there is some fret buzz on most of the frets (so maybe the bridge is too low? I'm gonna give it a better setup once I can plug it into a tuner).

No major dead notes, although the b string's 8th fret is a bit iffy. So at least I've probably got some minor fretwork in store.

The fretboard itself does look good, and the trapezoid inlays are very well done.

I personally really like that it doesn't have a logo... Kind of adds to the mystery! Even if it's gonna make re-selling it tougher, if and when the time comes.

I'll try to get some fresh pics this weekend.

JazzyJeff likes this.
  6. JazzyJeff

JazzyJeff Member

I had some logo's made to my own specs via a guy on ebay. He did a real nice job, they lay on your headstock and you use pressure to release the logo onto your headstock. Then clear coat it. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-Gui...486867&hash=item464f9c72ce:g:CF4AAOSwubRXGg-V

Great opportunity to make it exactly how you love it.

7. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

It reminds me of some of the Chinese no names you see on Ebay sold as "SG style guitar". In any case, it looks more accurate than most cheap copies, and I like the color.

8. Kabrijj

Kabrijj Active Member

Well, I got it up and running.

IMG_20180516_131252s.jpg

And in what could be record time, I've decided to off this one.

The bridge is decked as far down as it will go, and while it's not terribly high, the action could stand to go down another 1- or 2/64"

Interestingly enough, I had 2 different Epiphone bridges on it... the first one actually let me get down far enough, action wise... and revealed some uneven frets & buzz. I'm just not in the mood to do a fret level & crown on this one. Nor any massive bridge grinding to lower the action. Nor a neck reset, ha!

So... up on craigslist it goes.

IMG_20180516_131312s.jpg

Still, a pretty nice guitar. I'd say it's on par with most of the nicer Epiphones I've played.

IMG_20180516_131410s.jpg

If I was gonna keep it, I'd have gone with black reflector top knobs... but since I don't want to spend any more money on it, and had these amber ones already in the parts drawer...

IMG_20180516_131349s.jpg

I could be wrong, but I think the neck is maple. I actually dig it! Kinda makes me re-evaluate Gibson's decision to use maple on the recent Faded series SGs.

JCarno and PermissionToLand like this.
  9. Daniel.S

Daniel.S Well-Known Member

Looks pretty good for a copy

10. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

I love Maple necks because they're stable as f*ck. I joke that you could throw a Strat down a flight of stairs and it would still be in tune. But I hate working with Maple for the same reason, it's too dense.

11. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member