IYV ISVG-200 SG copy with Vibrola...

Discussion in 'SG Copies' started by Lynurd Fireburd, Sep 26, 2018.

1. Lynurd Fireburd

Lynurd Fireburd Active Member

Dropped from $223 to $139 on Amazon.
    71CCk-Agw8L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    71ftXCPPlFL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    71yYdFVPk8L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    24 frets with a Vintage branded Vibrola & close to but not exact shape. Hell, the import Vibrolas run $99-$130 themselves depending on the color.

If'n you want a cheap banger here's your chance. I've got one enroute but the quantity is down to 5 from 12. Must ship from CA as I got charged tax.

2. Lynurd Fireburd

3 left bump.

Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?

Also noticed bound neck. Whew.

3. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

Certainly not the worst take on an SG I've seen. Just needs a longer pickguard.

Lynurd Fireburd likes this.
  4. Lynurd Fireburd

Subtle differences everywhere. I like guitars that tweak just enough but still remain aesthetically pleasing. A more authentic pg is doable. We'll see tomorrow.

PermissionToLand likes this.
  5. Lynurd Fireburd

Ahhhhh. The old "file sizes too large" prompt strikes again.

I forgot. That's why I don't post much over here.

Unbranded Vibrola. Cool. Very well built. About 8lbs I'm guessing?

Well. It's plenty worth $139 that's for sure.

*Let's try this...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
  6. Lynurd Fireburd

I did some pretty in-depth posts on the import Vibrola issue in the Maestro set up tips thread but thought I'd add here.

As others have mentioned some of these aftermarket Vibrolas have some tolerance problems. I luckily had a spare in my parts without the issue. Mounted it a few days ago, stung it up with some 10-48's, lubed all contact points & everything fell into place perfectly. Might even try a roller bridge I have sitting here, but the stock actually has the proper fretboard radius.

Stock Vibrola.
    [​IMG]

Spare Vibrola.
    [​IMG]

Btw... The fretwork on this is fantastic. Smooth rounded ends, no buzzing, flat neck, after some slight turns of the truss rod, by my eye.
    [​IMG]

There was what I assumed to be a return on Amazon for $125 but someone swooped it up. Amazon also refunded me a very fair amount.
    http://www.inyenvinaguitars.com/product/guitars.html

I'm gonna see if I can tweak the old Vibrola & make it fuctional. The funny thing is both combs/arms work fine on my spare bracket. The stock comb wouldn't lock tight to the stock bracket.

ruster1 and PermissionToLand like this.
  7. ruster1

ruster1 Active Member

InYen Vina guitars.. Vietnam, but not sure who they are affiliated with.. I believe a Korean guitar maker in my opinion as some of the models look similar in body shape to the Korean (think Rondo, Wolf etc).. did some research on them but not a lot out there.. have heard nothing but good things so far.. few youtubers out there love em.. I did see them on Amazon.. with and without Vibrola..

My business does some buying in Vietnam as the "New China" and the term Vina is well accepted as a Vietnamese company.. quality has been brought to Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines (Japan) and now Viet Nam.. Maybe America will become the new Viet Nam??

8. ruster1

ruster1 Active Member

PermissionToLand likes this.
  9. Lynurd Fireburd

I wish my IYV came with the full length pg, but that's easy enough a fix.

Comes spec'd with the same pickups too. Not sure I'd trust the print regarding scale etc. Sellers get stuff wrong all the time.

The Vibrola comb was swapped for a spare I had & now it's got the proper angle & "clips in" tight to the spring. Perfect.

ruster1 likes this.
  10. ruster1

ruster1 Active Member

Overall..is it a thicker body to an SG?..with a little more heft?..scarf joint in the neck?..seems like a great platform to upgrade.. but it does resemble those Korean made all in one guitars..these companies are bringing QC standards to Vietnam..all in one are pretty slick..I am guessing the scale length is as advertised..the nut width is also 2015 Gibson wide..but their Les Paul's are 1 5/8..with 24.75 scale..go figure..interesting stuff..Korea makes some great instruments..my Washburn idol is from world music and is excellent quality!

11. Lynurd Fireburd

Yes the IYV has the scarf joint & a volute, 24 frets. Measures 1 7/16" at the butt/strap pin. The only thing I have that's comparable to a Gibson is a PGK SG Jr to compare it to. My Austin Thunder Rock is parked right next to it & I noticed the scarf was well up into the headstock. Another stout Korean guitar.

The one you link has a tenon cover & 22 frets similar to proper SG's. I checked the scale length on the IYV & i'd be damned to commit to calling it 24.75" or 25" scale. It's a "split the difference" depending on which E/e your looking at.
    [​IMG]

That headstock is atrocious.
    [​IMG]
    Man, $399 is a lot of money for one of these comparable guits. I wouldn't even consider it. Hell, until I bought my Treasure Firebird my most expensive guitar was an Epi Explorer w case that was significantly cheaper. Even the Wensen branded SG I had was similar quality & both were pennies.

ruster1 likes this.
  12. ruster1

ruster1 Active Member

I totally agree with your assessments.. just trying to do some detective work on which manufacturers still have Korean manufacture. We know InYen Vina is VN production but as the web site suggests owned and operated 100% by Koreans. We believe Agiles are made at World Music based upon clues in the Chapman WM plant tour and seeing agile headstocks.. (I think this factory is awesome tbh) and it is not clear if it is owned by Samick or not as once reported? I think the WOLF brands are made by KHL Korea as you can see the similarities on the website.. also they are similar in models offered by InYen Vina.. so I am guessing they share similar ownership.. QC is everything in my business (not guitars) and country of production means less if same QC is followed.. choice of woods and construction techniques are also important.. but overall, finish quality is required.. that's why MIJ gets high marks as they are meticulous about QC.

All in One guitar seems to buy "Lots" from perhaps KHL as "WOLF" and now as private label "AIO" brand and can spec them out.. (yes headstock is different for sure) but must buy 20 pcs of each model etc.. great if you want to have your own guitar line and have capital to start up.. All In One does a proper fret dress and setup before they ship anything.. so you are getting about $ 100 worth of work there.. Asian guitars are notorious for fret sprout when they arrive and dry out. Nothing worse than buying a $ 199 Chinese made guitar with lousy setup and frets.. sometimes takes $ 400 in fret job, tuners and pups to make it right.. I would pay a bit more for peace of mind..

That being said.. keep us informed as to the IVY SG and your impressions..

13. HackeIommi

HackeIommi Member

I am watching you!! And I am glad to see some alternative brands. Iyv seems like a good score :thumb: But AOL, 25" scale length. IDK man! Seems pretty good. Wish I can play and see. Maybe a bad thing, but maybe a good thing too.

14. PermissionToLand

Nope, Samick doesn't have any factories in Korea anymore, just Indonesia.

15. ruster1

ruster1 Active Member

So like Cort..they are out of Korea completely?

16. PermissionToLand

Yep. Once wages started reaching first world levels, they shut down their Korean factories. However, like with Gibson's Kalamazoo plant, workers got together and bought the plant, which is now called SPG and builds the Korean Gretsches, D'Angelicos and a few other smaller names.

World Music is its own entity AFAIK. Wouldn't be surprised if a lot of former Samick workers are there, though.

I was very impressed by the WM PRS I played. That sunburst SG looks like a lot of guitar for the money. Tempting!

17. ruster1

ruster1 Active Member

I am always looking for a deal a d appreciate good QC...love Gibson..but others make good guitars as well. My Washburn "Evil Twin" idol LP style guitar was made at WM in 2005 ish..fantastic quality..frets..finish..just one heck of a guitar..if WM made an SG other than ESP LTD..viper I believe..or maybe those are made in Indonesia now?..Chapman and Solar guitars from Ola Englund have some fantastic reviews for quality. If I was into metal more..I would buy a Solar for sure..the evertune system looks interesting but have to set it up for string bending..

Been looking at ESP budget line grassroots SG's made in Korea..they run about 300-360..but I can also find Epiphone g400 made at Unsung for less still..I need a travel guitar..