Jeff Tweedy SG Question: neck and tailpiece issues

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by vinnievidi, Aug 17, 2017.

1. vinnievidi

vinnievidi Member

Hi all,
    I just wanted to ask if anyone could help me with something. I recently purchased a Jeff Tweedy SG off Reverb from a private seller. The guitar was listed as mint with no issues. The seller had a return policy if it didn't arrive as described. It arrived and looked and sounded amazing. However, I took it to my tech for a look over and set up, and he said it had two issues:
    1. the neck had a slight bow
    2. the tailpiece was installed at the factory about 4.mm off center (towards the low E), which made the strings between the tail and the bridge go at an angle where they should be straight.

For the tailpiece, he was able to slide the top part (the part that hold the ball end of the strings, which is held on by friction) over a touch and now the strings are much straighter. However, the base plate is still off center (although, not very noticeable unless you're really looking at the strap pin dead-on)

After the setup it plays nicely and has low action with minimal buzz.

The tech did say though that if I sold it down the road I should mention both things, which I would do anyway, and to expect that they would affect the resale as I can't list it as mint.

I tried to contact the seller through Reverb hoping to discuss a partial refund or full refund, but he wouldn't return my emails. After a couple tries I contacted Reverb and the seller wouldn't return their messages either. Luckily Reverb has a great protection plan.

So, after all that here's my question: Reverb said that they will either fully refund the SG if I ship it to them or offer a partial refund if I want to keep it. I have to let them know soon but not sure what a fair value is considering these conditions. I paid 2K for it assuming it would be mint. Any thoughts?

Thanks a lot!!
    VV

2. michaelinokc

michaelinokc Well-Known Member

If the neck is whack, send it back. I had the same issue with a Firebird and knowing about it grated on my nerves.

Rox likes this.
  3. Rox

Rox Active Member

If the neck is a little out, send it back. That could end up an expensive fix later on.

4. bobbiehart2013

bobbiehart2013 Active Member

call me old fashioned, but I wouldn't fire off thousands into cyberspace to purchase a guitar that I had never seen from somebody I don't know, I have heard a few bad stories about Reverb and this same situation, I hope you get it straightened out .... I feel your pain

5. Norton

Norton Active Member

It's really hard to adress your concerns without detailed pictures or holding the guitar in hand.

Neck bow is different than warp and twist. Warp or twist is a problem. Bow? That's what truss rods are for. If the truss rod is functioning there shouldn't be a problem.

Tailpiece position. Hmmmm I'm wondering if all of those tweedy guitars have the same "problem" ? Which doesn't sound like that much of an actual problem.

Does the guitar play and sound awesome?

If you can't let these "issues" go then send it back. But without eyes and hands on the guitar it's really hard to tell just how problematic your concerns are.

kiko and Drawde like this.
  6. gball

gball Well-Known Member

Pretty much all this^^. Those Tweedy's are getting harder and harder to find, and if it does in fact play and sound awesome, personally I would keep it. It seems you didn't notice either of these "problems" before someone else pointed them out...maybe not so big a deal?

7. vinnievidi

vinnievidi Member

Thanks for the replys. I'll try to post images Tuesday when I have it in front of me (im traveling for the eclipse). I'll also post images of how it got to me before I took it in so you can see how the tailpiece is misaligned.

It does play really well with the set up and to be honest, it plays a bit nicer than some other Gibsons I've owned with perfectly straight necks. Since the top of the tailpiece was slid over I haven't had too many tuning issues, and what remains probably could be addressed with a nut filing.

I love the guitar's looks, neck profile, and tone and it plays well, but yeah, any time it buzzes on the E or A string I keep thinking about the neck issue that the tech mentioned.

As of now though, im leaning towards keeping it but will ask for a partial refund. I just now have to think about what would be a fair value since I paid for something different than what I got. To be honest, if I were to repost the SG I'd be uncomfortable listing it above "very good" using Reverb's system, even though it doesn't have a mark on it.

I've never had problems buying off Reverb -- and I've bought vintage LPs that have cost multiples of what this cost -- and trust their protection plan. In fact, they've been really great. I mention that so anyone reading this will rest assured when buying expensive gear sight unseen off that site.

8. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

cheaper than any other option is to get a second opinion (meaning a different luthier).

Maybe the luthier you took your guitar to was full of shite...
    For me, a Gibson guitar with a slight bow in the neck is no big deal. A 1/8 turn on the truss
    rod and the slight bow is gone. For me, fret leveling is much more important. Lots of us tune
    our guitars with a slight bow in the neck and we call that "neck relief."

Without a lot more info, we are only speculating here. I respectfully doubt that any Gibson guitar
    would be shipped with the tailpiece installed 4mm wrong. And if it was, it would cost more than it
    was worth to fix it.

Your decision must involve what your intentions are. If you want to play music, your guitar is probably
    fine after the setup, and will make great music longer than you live. Rock that sucker. Disregard any
    negativity. Change the strings and play it louder.

If you want to preserve resale value and/or make a profit when you sell it,
    that's a slippery arena, and you should never buy a guitar sight unseen.
    If you did, then you might not be able to make a monetary profit.
    This is how you learn.

By the way, DON'T LOOK AT THE ECLIPSE... poke a pinhole
    in a cardboard box, and tape a piece of white paper opposite the pinhole, and observe the
    eclipse on that. Then throw the paper away. Keep your eyes unburnt. If you travel to where
    the eclipse is full, don't look at it. Look at everything else. Persuade your GF to take her
    clothes off and pose fetchingly in the dim light. Look at the light on other objects, near
    and far. Those images will be worth keeping. The best eclipse images will be online.
    eclipse.jpg

Me, I've learned how to measure wealth by other means than money. I'm a musician of course.
    So if you've bought yourself an SG that plays great and sounds awesome, lucky you.
    Don't go rooting around trying to find fault with it. Play it. The profit is in the music that
    you make. Just my humble opinion of course. I'd love to have a Tweedy SG. I'd take it to
    the best luthier I could find, and get it set up perfectly, and then I'd treasure it, and play
    it hard and often.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
  9. vinnievidi

vinnievidi Member

Hey Col,
    Thanks for the reply. I can respond in full a bit later. I was able to have someone send me the photos of the tailpiece so you can see the misalignment. Attaching below:

Attached Files:

10. Norton

Norton Active Member

Luthier. Second opinion. Absolutely

That guitar should be able to play without issue...but that tailpiece should've been installed on center...and it's definitely not.

11. vinnievidi

vinnievidi Member

That's all great advice, though, I don't know if my wife would have been keen on naked photos while watching the eclipse at my parents' place! Ha!.

If i have time before Reverb wants to know what I wish to do with the Tweedy -- return it to them or get a partial refund -- i will definitely take it to another tech to have a second option on the neck. The tailpiece is clearly off center as you can see in the photos, so that's not in question for me.

I'm a bit confused by the neck, actually, since posting this thread, and a second opinion may indeed help. The tech who took it in said it was a slight twist, but the one who actually worked on it said it was a bow that's still there after he worked on it. Either way, when I look at it the low E has a concave dip around the 5-7 frets and the high E side is perfectly straight. I tried to take photos, but it didn't really show. When I get home tomorrow I can try again with different light.

I don't like to buy and flip guitars, tbh. I'm a musician and not a collector. I've bought and sold a lot and am just happy when I break even. Don't like over paying though. I also don't mind sight unseen if there is a solid return or protection policy. Strangely, and maybe it has to do with the likes of EBay and Reverb, but it's getting harder and harder to find good used gear locally in NYC. Most local places are wildly overpriced if interesting at all. Every once in a while you can find a good private seller, but I've always had better luck on Reverb. This experience is a bit of an anomaly.

12. Norton

Norton Active Member

Luthier and Tech are two different peoples.

Id get it to a kick ass luthier for a detailed run through before giving up on the guitar.

13. Rox

Rox Active Member

You could have the tailpiece realigned, because the extra holes would still be covered by the tailpiece.

The right luthier could fill the holes, add some finish and you'd never know it had been done. You'd probably want to think about that as the angle round the saddles could cause more string breakage... and wear the saddles really strangely round the back there!

The bigger concern is the neck. Another opinion on whether it's a twist or a bow (I'll admit when you first said the luthier said "bow" I figured he wouldn't have mentioned it if it were the bow that was supposed to be in a neck, so assumed it was something more sinister).

LDS likes this.
  14. Gibbo SG

Gibbo SG Active Member

Did you see a frontal picture of the SG tailpiece position before you paid? A fro tal shot would reveal that. How about the neck, did you ask the seller whether the neck wast straight. That's what you do when you buy online. I just wouldnt wagon cash for a guitar I'd not seen photographed frontally, or without a description of its state of repair.

15. Gibbo SG

Gibbo SG Active Member

And if they lied, get a refund and send it back in 70 pieces.

16. vinnievidi

vinnievidi Member

I did ask about the neck to which he replied "there are no issues, everything's mint". For the tailpiece, he took a bunch of photos but it looked centered, but they were not 100% head on and, truthfully, I couldn't imagine it would have been installed like that and left the factory. Anyway, Reverb customer support is offering to take it back and refund me fully. They still can't reach the seller. I bet he will be banned from the site.

Will update you all when I get off the phone with Reverb this afternoon

17. vinnievidi

vinnievidi Member

UPDATE:
    After a long wait, Reverb was ultimately unable to reach the seller. They banned him from the site and refunded me in full for the SG (that was the only option they gave me). I mailed it back and it's now being sold on their damaged seller page, I think it's called Reverb Restock or something like that. In the sale page, they mention the issues I raised about the neck twist and tailpiece and they're listing it as in "Fair" condition, which is a far cry from the "Mint" it was supposed to be in when I got it.

Now I'm back on the hunt for another SG.

Thanks for following the thread and for offering your thoughts. I just want to give Reverb customer service a shout out for their excellent buyer protection. It's really reassuring to have that behind you when you buy off their site.

bwotw and Norton like this.
  18. fjrabon

fjrabon New Member

Sounds like you made the right choice. A twisted neck can sometimes be fine but sometimes it gets worse over time. Though some people obsessively search out guitars with the exact twist you described, lol.

Good luck on your hunt.

19. Norton

Norton Active Member

i had no idea reverb had a resell/refund thing going on.

Since the seller disappeared....I'm guessing he was well aware of the issues with that guitar.

20. Norton

Norton Active Member

They're prices for f'd up gear seems a little high no?