Jim Crow has not left the building

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Biddlin, Mar 18, 2019.

1. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

I had to make a missing persons report for a relative in central Florida who is unaccounted for after a trip to Atlanta. Before taking any relevant information about the missing person, I was warned several times that it is a crime to file a false report. Then I was asked for my name, address and telephone #s, then they wanted to know my race and ethnicty, I responded "Homo sapiens Hippie." "Huh? I mean are you white Caucasian, Asian, Black, Native American?"
    "Yeah, I got that."
    "Well I'm gonna know when I take the description of your cousin, right?"
    I guess they all can't be Kojak.....

2. Hector

Hector Well-Known Member

What the hell do they need to know your race and ethnicity for? Does it help them gauge how many resources they should put into the search or something ?

Biddlin likes this.
  3. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Well-Known Member

That's just weird. Never had that happen to me.

4. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, helping a friend design a knitting machine
    Time for this, I believe

5. GrumpyOldDBA

GrumpyOldDBA Well-Known Member

Ummm well if it's part of a standard form they are filling out on the phone as you call in and you start messing with the person on the other end of the phone it may not exactly make the person on the other end of the phone have an easier job taking the report.

Perhaps an alternate approach might be to supply all the information first and then ask at the end "i was wondering why you had to ask me question 2 3 4 etc?".

I would not read more into it than it was information they were required to ask to process a missing persons report.

Herbie74w likes this.
  6. Biddlin

I don't think I read anything into it that was not intended. I was born in Toccoa, GA in 1952. I know the code. I'm just a little saddened and shocked that it still exists.

PermissionToLand likes this.
  7. bgh

bgh Member

I may be out in left field here, but I wonder if perhaps it is another check to see if the caller is telling the truth.

Not quite the same scenario, but it may explain a bit of what I wonder. I have some things I use when interviewing prospective employees - to see if they are lying or boasting of knowledge/experience they do not have. One of them is to ask them a question, and then expand on their answer, but add something a truthful person would know was wrong - and ask their opinion. If they agree with my statement, I know they are lying ... or faking knowledge they do not have.

If the questions are not for some purpose such as that, I don't think the questions are necessary.

And, it could simply be they have used the same form for x number of years ... and it is such a habit ... no one has thought to change it.

8. Biddlin

So here's the bottom line skinny. The cops lied to me from jump street. A few days after the first post, I got a call from my distant cousin. "Hey, I hear you were looking for me. Tell everyone I'm ok but I was in jail."
    "In jail where and for what?" He was in the county jail where I had made the first inquiry, for assault and battery. It seems his modest home is in a spot desired by a local psuedo-religious big-wig. After several incidents of harassment and vandalism he finally got tired of the cops telling him they couldn't do anything and caught one of the vandals himself.
    My cousin looks African American. In a stand your ground state, after being ignored by the cops, he should have just shot the guy and gone back to bed, but a white cultist is apparently always right in that part of Florida, so cous' went to jail and the gutless thug has disappeared. The jailer apparently told my cousin he was lucky this time, and not to try and handle trouble himself. I wonder who the hell he could call to help? Surely not the cops.

PermissionToLand likes this.
  9. syscokid

syscokid Well-Known Member

taxidriverfeat.jpg

10. Biddlin

Not since 1866, apparently.

11. GrumpyOldDBA

GrumpyOldDBA Well-Known Member

Bring lawyers guitars and money?

Lynurd Fireburd likes this.
  12. Layne Matz

Layne Matz Well-Known Member

The racial and economic despariteis in our governmental system are diverse, many are blatenrt but others are more discreet. Its important in the first place to address the desparities and make them publicly known to all. I lived in northeast Nashville for 4 years, there isnt a rougher part of town to live in becuase gentrification has forced the low income minoriry races all north and out of town as they demolish all the old structures and jam pack as many condos as they can on each lot and charge 2500 a month. Many of the original resodents are forced to leave town beuxase there is no affordable housing, they have been renting for years with increasing rent, utilitiy and insurance costs- not to mention a low income black man in Nashville aint likely to have much luck getting a loan or a high paying job when over 1000 peopke a week move to the city and they already have a homeless population exceeding 14,000- majority of whom are single parents, mentally ill, addicts, veterans, immigrants and the senior citizens.

I hung 27 signs arlund tkwn today to spread awareness of important issues. Black people are disproportionately arrested for the same crimes as white Americans, they are often given longer sentances and all around harsher punishments for the smae crimes as white Americans. I site the bureau of prisons statistics.

Its not all bad though, apparently the VA works better stastically for veterans of color than for caucasian veterans based on approval ratings. Thats being said its mostly bad, you coukd site 10 sources showing how black people are still treated as second class or at the very least treated in an unjustified way. In the words of FDR, "This country will be a good place for all of us to live or it wont be a good place for any of us to live." He said this in refrence to economic security and injustice but it applies everywhere.

PermissionToLand and Ray like this.
  13. Layne Matz

What Americans want is simple, We want an America AS GOOD AS ITS PROMISE. In the words of Dr Cornell West, " What we need is a Long Distance Runner for Justice, and that is brother Bernie Sanders because Justice is what Love looks like in public."

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
    Ray likes this.
  14. Biddlin

Only if you want to waste money on lawyers and guns. The fix is in and you can't beat it in court because the Cylons have bought the courts and cops.

Layne Matz likes this.
  15. Layne Matz

Just going to push my luck a but further, have you ever read the preamble to the constitution of South Africa? Henry Rollins brought it to my attention a while back, its literary genious and an outright political and humanitarian work of art. I think we could learn a lot from it.

Ill just include it here...
    Constitution of the Republic of South Africa, 1996 - Preamble
    We, the people of South Africa,

Recognise the injustices of our past;

Honour those who suffered for justice and freedom in our land;

Respect those who have worked to build and develop our country; and

Believe that South Africa belongs to all who live in it, united in our diversity.

We therefore, through our freely elected representatives, adopt this Constitution as the supreme law of the Republic so as to

• Heal the divisions of the past and establish a society based on democratic values, social justice and fundamental human rights;

• Lay the foundations for a democratic and open society in which government is based on the will of the people and every citizen is equally protected by law;

• Improve the quality of life of all citizens and free the potential of each person; and

• Build a united and democratic South Africa able to take its rightful place as a sovereign state in the family of nations.
    May God protect our people.

16. Robus

Robus Active Member

You're wrong on several points. The claim that black people are arrested disproportionately is a familiar talking point that fails when examined critically. It's often paired with other false claims, for example that whites and blacks use drugs at similar rates while blacks are arrested more for it (false--this claim is based on self-reported drug use; studies that involve actual drug testing find higher rates of use among blacks). You hear a version in the famous "driving while black" hoax that claims blacks are pulled over more often (false--a massive study by the New Jersey Highway Patrol found that blacks speed at higher rates than whites). It's likewise with the claim that blacks are sentences more harshly than whites for the same crime (false--blacks come into the system with more prior convictions on average than whites, which influences the sentences they receive).

To your points about "gentrification," many people in those communities benefit. For example there are black homeowners who are trapped in an environment of poverty and crime because they cannot sell their houses at a decent price since nobody wants to buy into those neighborhoods. Or municipal governments that need the tax revenue and economic boost that new constuctions and new arrivals to the neighborhood create. The opposition to "gentrification" seems to me to be driven largely by tribalism and concerns of "turf." Is the status quo really better in places like Chicago, Baltimore, St. Louis, DC, etc. etc. etc.

You mention the economic hardship caused among black communities by masses of people moving into cities like Nashville, and competing for jobs. You are not wrong about that. The mass influx of unskilled and largely illegal immigrants into the country (200,000 family units arrived at our borders last month alone--double last year's rate) has been devastating for low skilled workers and for blacks especially. Why then do blacks vote for a party that now embraces open borders?

syscokid and Logan like this.
  17. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

Couldn't have said it better myself :thumb:

Robus likes this.
  18. Layne Matz

Id be willing to cite some sources and try to address every point you brought up but I'm not willing to get banned over this. I disagree and I beleive statistically you will find that the numbers do not support your claims, ESPECIALLY those regarding Criminal Justice.

One very important point though is that the people who are beginning to populate Nashville are white college graduates who obviously have a hugher income if they can afford those condos. My favorite neighbor in Nashville was Ms.Cynthia Washington, one of the first black teachers in desegregated schools in Nashville. She has been recieveing threats, phone scams and trick letters from developers who want her property. The issue with gentrification is that if you are a low income renter who has been evicted brcuase your lease is up your only option is the projects which are already full, its not a matter of tribalism its that these people grew up here and are now forced out becuase majority of them do not own their homes- the ones that do can make a fortune selling to developers and thats fair but those who have no chpice are displaced and driven further into poverty. The concerns are what this does to disenfranchised low income people who live in poverty or barely above it. Its not about turf, its about the fact that vast numbers of low income people are being displaced form their place of origin. The IMMIGRANTS are not the ones taking ANY jobs in Nashville besides in farming and contracting both of which are lower income jobs- i have a fair amount of first hand experience in these jobs as well. The majority of Nashvilles jobs are being occupied by higher income, young, white college graduates- NOT IMMIGRANTS. What makes you think immigrants can afford those housing prices, I worked my ass of as a 19 yearold white male and still struggled to pay 1600/month rent for an out of code little house- thats not including any utilities or insurance.

Go live around Buchanan Street for a couple years and then tell me what you think.

Most of the people who seem to argue for a lot of the points you just gave me earn a living wage, grew up in an economically secure family of situation, and have not experienced many of the things that lead to people struggling through life.

NO ONE SUPPORTS OPEN BORDERS, They support new border procedures and regulations regarding who and how we let people into the country and how they will become a citizen.

Can i ask, who'd you vote for in 2016?

PermissionToLand and Ray like this.
  19. Layne Matz

Ray likes this.
  20. Layne Matz

Oh but please try, if you agree with those points of his or have any of your own.

Ray likes this.