Jim Crow has not left the building

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Biddlin, Mar 18, 2019.

1. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

I had to make a missing persons report for a relative in central Florida who is unaccounted for after a trip to Atlanta. Before taking any relevant information about the missing person, I was warned several times that it is a crime to file a false report. Then I was asked for my name, address and telephone #s, then they wanted to know my race and ethnicty, I responded "Homo sapiens Hippie." "Huh? I mean are you white Caucasian, Asian, Black, Native American?"
    "Yeah, I got that."
    "Well I'm gonna know when I take the description of your cousin, right?"
    I guess they all can't be Kojak.....

Thumpalumpacus and Hector like this.
  2. Hector

Hector Well-Known Member

What the hell do they need to know your race and ethnicity for? Does it help them gauge how many resources they should put into the search or something ?

Biddlin likes this.
  3. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Active Member

That's just weird. Never had that happen to me.

4. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, helping a friend design a knitting machine
    Time for this, I believe

5. GrumpyOldDBA

GrumpyOldDBA Well-Known Member

Ummm well if it's part of a standard form they are filling out on the phone as you call in and you start messing with the person on the other end of the phone it may not exactly make the person on the other end of the phone have an easier job taking the report.

Perhaps an alternate approach might be to supply all the information first and then ask at the end "i was wondering why you had to ask me question 2 3 4 etc?".

I would not read more into it than it was information they were required to ask to process a missing persons report.

6. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

I don't think I read anything into it that was not intended. I was born in Toccoa, GA in 1952. I know the code. I'm just a little saddened and shocked that it still exists.

7. bgh

bgh New Member

I may be out in left field here, but I wonder if perhaps it is another check to see if the caller is telling the truth.

Not quite the same scenario, but it may explain a bit of what I wonder. I have some things I use when interviewing prospective employees - to see if they are lying or boasting of knowledge/experience they do not have. One of them is to ask them a question, and then expand on their answer, but add something a truthful person would know was wrong - and ask their opinion. If they agree with my statement, I know they are lying ... or faking knowledge they do not have.

If the questions are not for some purpose such as that, I don't think the questions are necessary.

And, it could simply be they have used the same form for x number of years ... and it is such a habit ... no one has thought to change it.