JUST bought a Samick Artist series SG. Haven't seen it yet.

Discussion in 'SG Copies' started by old mark, Nov 12, 2009.

1. old mark

old mark Active Member

Was being sold on eBay, turns out the seller is about 20 miles from my house, so I'm going to pick it up this weekend. i undeerstand these were pretty good quality, only made for a few years. $200.
    Anybody have one of these?
    Thanks.

mark

2. everdying

everdying Well-Known Member

a few guys here have it...good guitar.
    $200 seems an ok price for it.

3. suicidehummer

suicidehummer Active Member

I have a Samick Artist Series SAN-450 (ES-335 copy) and I LOVE IT. Fantastic guitar and I would not hesitate to buy another over an Epi. I've been gassing for an Artist Series SG but couldn't find one. The best of luck to you and please post pics!!!

4. old mark

old mark Active Member

Will pick it up in a few days. It's pearl white with black PG, chrome hardware. Long tenon, all mahogany, rosewood board. Previous owner has painted over the Samick logo-face of headstock is all white - I might either strip or re-paint that. Also says the tuners are not stock, but sayt the guitar is in great playing condition and other than the headstock/tuners is mint.

mark

5. suicidehummer

Well I have seen some Artist Series SGs with body color headstocks. Are you sure it's not that?

6. old mark

old mark Active Member

The headstock is refrigerator white with no logo or markings -rest of the guitar is a pearl/cream white. Looks like the face was painted over.

For the price, and if the guitar plays as good as it's reputation, I don't care.

mark

ADDED: Brought it home this aftenoon - great neck, very heavy guitar - good tone,very well made and feels good - .

7. johnsg

johnsg New Member

Picked up a 1996 Samick SG(G-450WR) in 1999 after admiring them during the 90's. Have been nothing but pleased. Considered switching out the neck pickup but after making height adjustments am not that dissatisfied with the tone. The bridge pickup is really snarky. Made comparisons with Epiphones (yes, I know Samick made Epi's in the '90s) and am of the opinion that the Samick is superior. The Samick Artist Series Edition got very good reviews. Too bad Samick only made them for a limited time. Congrats on your aquistition.

PermissionToLand likes this.
  8. suicidehummer

They stopped making them because Epiphone sued them for essentially rebadging Epis as Samick Artist Series models. Although i agree that more care seems to have gone to the Artist Series line than the Epis.

9. old mark

old mark Active Member

OK, I bought this Samick n November, and tomorrow is August 1 - I find that I play it more than all my other guitars. I used to play heavy gauge strings, but my fingers are getting old (63 in 10 days), and I just put a set of Ernie Ball 9's on it a few minutes ago...I can not believe the difference - this guitar is extremely fast and the tone is still great...I always thought lighter gauge strings were tricky to play and lacked tone, but this is obviously not true, and I can still pull off and hammer on the light strings, may be even faster and cleaner that witrh the 10's that were on before...

I am having my Epiphone SG/Les Paul Custom 3 pup guitar set up by a tech at Guitar Center, and I will specify 9's on it, too...maybe buy a box for my birthday and put them on all my guitars.

I really love this old Samick SG - if you can find one, buy it!!!

mark

10. johnsg

johnsg New Member

old mark,
    Today is Aug. 17-2010. On May 27, I had surgery on my left hand due to arthritis. I'm 58. I need the same surgery on my right hand next year. I know what you mean concerning string gauges. I also preferred heavier strings in the old days. Always used wound G, on electrics. Due to arthritis I've gone progressively lighter through the years. I use extra lights (10-48) on acoustics and hybrid (9-46) on electrics. It will take months before I get my guitar chops back, but I'm trying. What I've found is, among my electrics, the one I'm most comfortable with, post surgery, is the Samick SG. An old friend comes through.

11. suicidehummer

I find that my Samick's strings feel looser and easier to bend than any of my other guitars, despite being strung with the same gauge strings.

old mark likes this.
  12. everdying

everdying Well-Known Member

[quote author=suicidehummer link=topic=19953.msg251305#msg251305 date=1282167120]
    I find that my Samick's strings feel looser and easier to bend than any of my other guitars, despite being strung with the same gauge strings.
    [/quote]

guess has something to do with the headstock angle.
    samicks iirc also have the tailpiece slightly further away from the bridge.

old mark likes this.
  13. suicidehummer

Should be 14 degrees like an Epiphone. And I did notice the TP being further away.

14. olioli

olioli New Member

My only experience with Samick is the Ghostrider GR520 they used to make for Ibanez.

Great guitar that was.

15. old mark

old mark Active Member

[quote author=everdying link=topic=19953.msg251333#msg251333 date=1282200706]
    guess has something to do with the headstock angle.
    samicks iirc also have the tailpiece slightly further away from the bridge.
    [/quote]

Yes, I did notice the different bridge position when I intonated the guitar for the new strings...My Epi G400 Custom has a slightly different looking bridge, and is closer to the TP...Headstock on the Epi is like nothing else I have ever seen - the nut is on a little ledge hanging above the HS proper...sounds great, though and sustains all day.

The Samik pups remind me of the very old Gibson LP pups from the '60's...almost an early Clapton/Blues Breakers tone, especially on the neck.
    Tuners are very odd, not factory, but they work OK - might replace them with Grovers someday...they work BETTER. Everything else is first rate.
    the Epi is raunchy - to - mellow...
    The Samik really is a Rock n Roll screamer.

mark 8)

16. old mark

old mark Active Member

This is the first time I have been back here for over 1 1/2 years. I still have the Samick SG/Les Paul copy, found out it's a 1992.Traded off the Epi G400 Custom last year-never could get it set up exactly the way I wanted it.

The Samick is a really fine guitar, and I just bought a '99 Gibson SG Special to compare to it.

The Samick is about a pound heavier, the pups are very hot-especially the bridge pup-compared to the 490's in the Gibson. I just saw several Samick Artist Series SG's for sale on eBay this past week- they are still out there if anyone is looking.

My Samick and my Gibson are pretty different...they both sound good, but the sound and the feel is different...I won't say one is better than the other, though...just different and I like both of them a lot. Pics of this old Samick coming soon.

mark

peskypesky likes this.
  17. old mark

old mark Active Member

ADDED; I see some posts from people who have Samick guitars...not all of them are Artist Series. Samick made various price levels of guitars, and the Artist Series were the top end. They are very heavy, solid mahogany, with rosewood fingerboard. The Artist series are set neck, not bolt ons.
    They will generally SAY Artist Series on the headstock face, some with decals and some with inlays.

They made Artist Series SG's modeled after the SG Les Pauls, and also made Les Paul single cut aways as well as 335 types and jazz guitars. I now have a Samick SG, a Les Paul type and a jazz guitar all in the Artiet Series. They are ALL extremely well made, very close to the originals and certainly a bargain for the money.

I can not recommend them highly enough if you are looking for a great playing and sounding instrument that you can gig with. To me, they are great for playing out -not a huge risk taking a big money ax to a bar, but still great sounds and playability. Hard to beat them.

FWIW.

added: Samick Artist Series were made in Korea. Samick is the largest makers of musical instruments in the world, and they now have factories in China and Indonesia. I have seen guitars from their Chinese company, sold here as S101 or Drive S101. They are really inexpensive but pretty good guitars...I had a Les Paul copy they made that was very good for the under $200 I paid for it. They still make SG copies but with an odd headstock shape. As far as I know, the current models are pretty good quality copies.

mark

18. old mark

old mark Active Member

Finally got some pics...

I have several pics of my Samick Artist Series SG, as well as my 99 Gibson SG Special. I also have pics of a very high end Samick jazz guitar, also an Artist Series from the late 1990's.

I recently also found an Artist Series Les Paul copy, a later version with a different cutaway horn shape. It has several dings and some wear on it, but it plays and sounds great...Under $300.

Pics here...First 2 are the Samick Artist Series jazz guitar, modeled on a high end Gibson. This is a late 90's model that sold for well over $1000 new Inlays are abalone and real MOP. I changed the trapeze tailpiece to an aftermarket Gibson type made by Kluson, and changed the bridge to a TOM type for a different tone and better intonation. It's a great player, very good pups.

Last 3 pics are my 99 Gibson SG Special. It's dark brown glossy, not a Faded- It has a one piece body, FWIW, and it is all factory stock. A GREAT player and this is one of those that gets better the more you play it. I can see why people love SG's...Me, too.

Can't find pics of that Samick SG...I'll have to take some and also pics of the Samick Artist LP...coming up soon.

mark

Attached Files:

19. Mr. Happy

Mr. Happy Well-Known Member

I'd really like to see some pics of those Artist Series SG's!!

20. old mark

old mark Active Member