JUST bought a Samick Artist series SG. Haven't seen it yet.

Discussion in 'SG Copies' started by old mark, Nov 12, 2009.

1. smitty_p

smitty_p Well-Known Member

In fact, just about ANY guitar, regardless of label, was likely built by Samick if it was made in Korea. Samick does build work for many manufacturers. For example, my Korean-built Washburn HB-30 was actually built by Samick. While the electronics were cheap and had to be replaced, the physical build of the instrument was very nice considering its price point.

2. Tony M

Tony M Well-Known Member

Guys, Samick is the largest guitar manufacturer on the planet.

3. BlackSG91

BlackSG91 Well-Known Member

I own a Samick myself. Haven't had a chance to play it because I'm doing custom modding on it. It's not an SG but it will have a Gibson Mini-Humbucker in it. It's good to hear that Samick makes good SG's and at a great price!:applause:

Attached Files:

4. old mark

old mark Active Member

Finally got pics!!!!

Here it is...thanks for waiting. I can't believe it has been this long, but here it is...
    :dude:

mark

added; Here is a very nice one for sale on eBay for $295, shich is still a very good price...this is a first rate guitar and needs NO upgrades at all...Pickups are HOT, and they play very very well...actually easier to play than my REAL Gibson SG Special...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aritst-Seri...071&pid=100015&prg=1006&rk=1&sd=370655208663&

(The guitar for sale is NOT MINE-I think they are very fine instruments and I like to get others to play them...I own 3 different model Samick Artist Series guitars and they are ALL really good.)

Here's one being played..it's later, a 97 version, but pretty much the same guitar...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQMuUaAl9BQ[/ame]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
    BlackSG91 likes this.
  5. BlackSG91

That is definitely a NICE guitar. They look just like the real deal. My outlook on Samick has changed now. This looks like a real top-notch guitar....congrats!:applause:

6. old mark

old mark Active Member

They are a very close copy of the 61 Les Paul SG, even down to the long tenon. Samick made the TOM bridge and the tailpiece slightly different-in a little different position- than the Gibson of Epiphones..they are actually easier to play and to bend the strings. Neck is just great, pickups are really hot and it has a bucket of tone.

My jazz guitar is a Samick Artist Series, too...Let me put some pics of THAT one up...They have been compared with Gibsons that they are modeled after, but the Samick is less than 1/10 the price... They also make great Les Paul copies...Got one of those, too, for about $300...The Samick Artist Series were their top line...they were better than Epiphones and almost Gibsons, and they are still very good guitars..They also made various levels and other styles, no junk.

They are first rate guitars, and Samick is the largest instrument maker in the world.

mark

Attached Files:

BlackSG91 likes this.
  7. BlackSG91

----------------------------
    That's definitely a nice guitar you have. I'm really digging the headstock. It is very art decco! Wow, these artist series guitars are really something else, & the price?? The price is very deceiving, but it works out great for someone wanting to own one of these fine guitars. I have an old strat style, one-pick-up Samick that one day I'll transform into a killer guitar. The neck needs work but has a lot of potential. It is getting a Gibson Original Mini-Humbucker. It will look sweet.:fingersx:

8. old mark

old mark Active Member

OK, then, here's my THIRD Samick, Artist..the LP type...

This one is probably mid 1990's-they changed the shape of the cutaway and headstock to get around the GIbson lawsuit. The guitar is solid mahogany with a thick maple cap and mahogany neck with rosewood board. Good pickups ad it weighs near 10 pounds...It has a few dings, but I don't care...paid around $300 for it...Great player, great sounds!

OK, and here's a clip of the identical Samick jazz guitar being played...(NOT by me...this guy is good...;) )

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2aTJmiT2TE[/ame]

Just so you know, mine now has a Gibson trapeze tailpiece and a TOM floating bridge replacing the original wooden bridge and factory TP...I was trying for an early Elvis-Scotty Moore sound, sort of like this...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DOwuuDBrDI[/ame]

I like it a lot more now.

and here's a short clip of a Samick Artist Series LP type...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6V-gN-PY9E[/ame]

mark

Attached Files:

BlackSG91 likes this.
  9. BlackSG91

That Samick Jazz guitar sounds amazing! That is definitely a jazz guitar sound. I love the second clip with some Steve Howe (Yes) type picking. I recognized it off the bat.:) The Samick LP reminds me a bit of a Hagstrom. It's looking fairly vintage, especially around the head-stock area but it still looks in good condition. Good clips, very much enjoyed.:applause:

10. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Very nice...including the Howe/Moore guitar picking.

Samick makes pretty decent stuff, one of the better makers in the East. That guitar sounds like a close copy of my Gibson. Play on.

11. old mark

old mark Active Member

Finally-after 2 years-pics of the Samick SG...

Sometimes it takes me a while to get things done...I guess this was one of those times, but here are some pics of my 1992 Samick Artist Series SG/Les Paul...

I still like it a lot, and it has led me to buy 2 more SG's. both Gibsons...But this old lady is still a keeper.

Thanks for your patience...and FWIW I see a few of these on eBay pretty often now...
    Added: I also found out that some of the older Valley Arts guitars - Tele and Strat types - were made by Samick...LOTS of people love them, too...and I see some on eBay from time to time.

mark

I see I had already put these pics up some time ago...This thread is over 3 years old - I should buy stock in Samick!

Attached Files:

12. RokDog

RokDog New Member

Those Samick SG's look exactly like my 1990's JBP(J B Player) Artist Series SG with the exception of the headstock. Though the JBP was built in Korea in the Cort factory from what I researched.

The VintAxe Guitar Forum :: View topic - JB Player info

& here is a pick of one like mine though mine is vanilla/cream in color

AGF - NUGD - JBP Artist SG

picked it up for $150 w/HSC & wah pedal

exact same hardware, speed knobs & truss rod covers

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  13. BlackSG91

Wow, this one looks pretty nice! The guitar looks almost brand new. It also has some nice beveling to it. I'm very impressed with these Artist Series SG's. Yes, this one is definitely a keeper.:fingersx:

[​IMG]

14. BlackSG91

This looks real good also!:applause:

[​IMG]

old mark likes this.
  15. polemic

polemic New Member

Totally out of nowhere... I was searching for info on these guys and stumbled on this thread. Picked one up a while back for $30 because it wasn't working, fixed it up (new switch, replaced a tuner and knobs, rewired the whole thing) and for under $50 it's just a great guitar. Easily up there with high-end Epis, if not actual Gibsons in terms of feel and sound.

Good stuff.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. chilipeppermaniac

chilipeppermaniac Well-Known Member

Welcome, and pretty Lil Black Samick, polemic

17. old mark

old mark Active Member

What a great deal!

I really find the Samick SG's very easy to play fast - the TOM is slightly closer to the pickup, and that changes the geometry just enough to make a nice difference. GREAT guitars, still some around for a decent price.

Congratulations on stealing yours!

mark

eS.G. and dub-setter like this.
  18. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

I think the tailpiece is also further away from the bridge. It seems to lower the tension a little, making them play very smooth and fast.

$30 is highway robbery for one of these. And it's in excellent shape. Great catch!

19. Strattarts

Strattarts New Member

Just put a '99 Samick Artist Series SG on layaway at a pawn shop. $99.00!
    Man, I have always liked Samick guitars and just stumbled on this one.
    Started playing it and it played like butter. I mean so great. I plugged it into
    a couple of amps they had there and it sounded really good too. The neck pickup
    is huuuge sounding, or at least it was through the little Crate practice amp. It was overdriving the speaker a little on the clean setting the pickup is so powerful. Maybe too powerful. It sounded so rich, though. Guitar is in Great condition. I have a Washburn HB30 (es335 copy) which I also LOVE, and the neck is so similar to the SG it's amazing. The SG neck is wider, but feels so much the same. Same year, coincidentally, and also Samick made.
    Smitty P, I actually like the sound of the pickups in my korean (Samick) HB30. At first I thought they were weak and flat, then I raised them to the proper height and they sound really good. I play it through a vintage Ampeg Rocket and it screams. Took
    it to a blues open mic the other night and got a few compliments on it.
    Anyway...Can't WAIT to get the SG out. It's light weight, but I've read reviews here that they are resonant. I'm not sure if mine (soon to be) has the beveled edges on it. Hmmm.

20. warmachine

warmachine Member

Interesting to see some great reviews building around 1990s Korean made guitars. I'm more versed on the Japanese era copy guitars. I've got 2 Matsumoku factory built SG's, one being a set-neck 1975'ish Carlo Robelli and the other a 1974 bolt-neck Electra SG. They're killer builds and especially the Carlo Robelli which is based on the redesigned 1972 and up Gibson SG with the small block inlays, fast slim bound neck, redesigned neck join where the base of the neck lays flush with the neck pickup ring. Fit and finish feels like a real $1,200+ Gibson.

So...

I 've got a local opportunity to pick up a white Samick Artist Series SG's exactly like yours (but it has the stock plastic button Kluson looking tuners) and I can get it dirt cheap. I don't really need it, but it is cheaper than getting my Electra refretted and since my Electra was my downtuned guitar...well just another excuse to snag the Samick.

Need to know if the Samick has that annoying candy coated sticky poly clearcoat like some of the Epiphones had? (my 1992 Epi Lp had that abnoxious crap)

Is it neck heavy?

How much chunkier is the Samick neck vs. your 1973 Gibson SG?

What if anything did Samick skimp out on that should def be upgraded?