Just bought a Strat, think I hate it.....

Discussion in 'Epiphone SG' started by chrisoldroyd, Aug 10, 2019.

1. Bob Mason

Bob Mason New Member

Lets see
    I own a strat, 2 tele's, a lp, a sg, and my acoustic.
    I guess sometimes I'm looking for that s/c sound & sometimes I want that growling hb.
    1st world problem?

Layne Matz likes this.
  2. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, helping a friend design a knitting machine
    Then get a PRS with its asymmetric coil split. That will give you both.

Bob Mason likes this.
  3. Bob Mason

Bob Mason New Member

My lp has '57's in it w/ coil split. I still like having all these options
    But yeah...I been lookin at a couple PRS's

Layne Matz likes this.
  4. donepearce

My Tele sample a bit further up was on EB Extra Slinky - 0.008"

Biddlin and Layne Matz like this.
  5. Layne Matz

Layne Matz Well-Known Member

I checked out your stuff on souncloud and i have to say I really love the classical stuff you have on there, great stuff! Do you have anymore recordings online?

If I used 8s I would break them very, very quickly and my bends would probably be way out of tune.

6. Layne Matz

Maybe, i still think that the main first world problem is the ungodly income and wealth inequality that renders most of the U.S. population as forms of wage slaves for most if not all of their lives. Something like 78% of americans are living paycheck to paycheck, 83 million are uninsured or underinsured and even more cant afford the medicines and treatments they need to survive. That said i think most of the guys on here are proabbly pretty 'well to do' since they have close to or over $10k in guitars alone. Personally Ive spent under $300 for all of mine, but they are all lower end besides my Cort s2900 which was a gift from my neighbor after my SG neck got broken off after a gig. Ive had to repair every guitar to get it to playable condition except the Cort one.

7. donepearce

Thank you! That's all I have right now. I recorded the organ stuff in a local church that was being refurbished. And I reckon you might be surprised by 8s. They are stronger than you think.

Layne Matz likes this.
  8. jtees4

jtees4 Well-Known Member

I have been playing for over 50 years, I am 61. I have never been a Strat guy, BUT I have bought many over the years and always ended up selling them....because I kind of felt that everyone needs a Strat. I am an SG and Tele guy generally. The bottom line is strats just don't work for me. I do have mad respect for Strats, they are great for what they are, and work for many people. And I understand their historical significance.

Layne Matz and arcticsg like this.
  9. Layne Matz

I'll givr them another shot some time. I would struggle gigging with them though becuase i get less and less careful as the show goes on, i get sweaty and tired so i tend to bend way too far eith lighter strings. When I was trying out lighter gauges I figured out that by having to be more gentle and careful to bend and get the vibrato I was after was causing my tendonitis to get worse. I'll definitely give 8s a shot sometime soon though, things change and I might really dig them. Maybe I'll record with both 12s and then 8s and hear what the difference is as well. Id be curious to find out.

10. Chuteboxehero

Chuteboxehero Active Member

Jumping from 12s to 8s is pretty drastic. I'd go down one size at a time and get a feel for them. That's if you want to decrease. Plenty of guys used heavy strings and just as many use lighter strings. Really a matter of preference. I switched after using 10s for years on all my Gibson guitars and started using 9s. They dont feel as slinky as they used to when I was younger. Much easier to bend and still control. Having tendon issues in my fretting hand from work related wear and tear, I can play longer with a lighter string and I dont notice much of a difference in sound.

Layne Matz likes this.
  11. Layne Matz

I often forget that one of the primary reasons I use the heavier strings in first place is beucase I finger pick exclusively and its a lot harder to finger pick quickly with lighter gauge strings which move a lot further and dont snap back as fast as heavys do. My favorite type of strings are .13-56 daddario flatwounds though which arent good for bending but are perfect for jazz/fusion and fingerpicking. Just wish they were $15+ for one set. I have extra guitars to try out different gauges on luckily.

I have tendonitis that comes and goes, its mainly do to working construction, trimming cannabis for hours on end, and 3 severe fractures of my left hand when I was 9 and the way my hand healed. I feel your pain. I think amp and volume makes a huge difference in terms of the tone and output of strings- bigger streings are inheremtly louder and I think they have a thicker tone. Also, its nice to be able to just pick up a slide and use it. I dont believe in slide eith thin strings, it never eorked for me and i didnt liek the tone. 12s are as low as I would go for slide.

Sorry OP for derailing your thread...

12. chrisoldroyd

chrisoldroyd New Member

Thanks for all the great replies, I am still struggling with it, I just find the tones so bright compared to my SG. I played more with my Boss Katana and improved things a lot but I’m still on the fence.

13. PeterS

PeterS New Member

Got my Strat today (a Squier Bullet Strat HT) and I am astonished about the differences in tone when I try the different switch positions and controls. OK, bridge pickup alone is very bright, almost but not quite „quacky“, but once I go to the middle positions I get a bright and clear sound. When I add distortion I also get a good blues and rock tone. Not as fat and powerful as on my SG, but far away from „thin“ or „quacky“. To me my Strat seems to be a good counterpart for my SG. Will take the Strat on holidays, because it was cheaper and it is more comfortable to play sitting and without strap. I guess I will miss my SG, but I feel safer when it stays at home.

Col Mustard likes this.
  14. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

+1 on that... and good luck to the OP.

I'll re-affirm my suggestion that you take your Strat to
    the best luthier you can find or afford, and get it set up.
    I didn't think it likely that your guitar has a flaw,
    but if it's a used one, who knows? Best to find out.
    As part of the setup, get your luthier to look under the pick guard
    and see if your tone control works. If you've got some wonky solder
    joints, that might explain why you are struggling.

If your guitar is technically working but you still can't get
    any decent tones by turning the tone controls on
    the instrument and on your amp, I suggest an EQ pedal.
    Get a used one,
    and begin your journey into the realm of highs mids and lows.
    One of the cool things about the pedal is you can plug the Strat into
    the pedal and play the SG the way you normally do, with your normal
    amp settings. Or conversely, you can perfect your EQ on the amp to
    optimize the Strat, and then plug the SG into the pedal and adjust
    that the way you want it too.

A graphic Equalizer will give you nearly complete control over the signal
    your guitar produces. It is a three dimensional demonstration of how
    to manage your tone. You might end up keeping the pedal and selling
    the Strat. The pedal can be used with any instrument. Some of the Katana
    series have an f/x loop, and the EQ pedal is a perfect thing to put in
    the loop... very useful. It's great as a clean boost as well.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019