Just tried recording but what is happening?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Deibitto, Jun 6, 2017.

1. Deibitto

Deibitto Member

So, fairly new to electric and just tried to record now. Playing is obviously crappy but

1) Can you guys hear the buzz ? is it too much buzz or normal ? always fretting about my fretting and wether guitar is broke or not. Seems to be general buzzing and maybe string buzz can be heard when im holding a note.

2) why is the recording breaking up ? I lowered recording volume. Also the guitar sounds a little fuzzy but it seems like my amp randomly decides when to sound smooth or fuzzy...

How do I fix these problems and make the sound better ? also what kind of fun can I have with this recording into my laptop.

2. Rox

Rox Active Member

I like your playing. :) Better than I can manage...

Pretty much all the buzz there (the stuff you're not liking) is from the amp or pickups (that doesn't mean there's anything wrong with your pickups or guitar by the way) if you're looking for a clean sound.

What guitar is it, and what amp? Single coils buzz naturally because of their construction (unless they're a noiseless design).

If you have any fluorescent lights, dimmer switches or electrically 'noisy' powered devices, they can add interference too.

What are you recording into?

3. Deibitto

Deibitto Member

Sorry I should have said.

Its an SG400 using a 10w ID Core blackstar. I think I was using downloaded presets, which may or not be good for the little IDCORE series line as they lack some of the features of the big real blackstar amps.

Theres a bit of buzz from the amp but its muted when I muted the strings. When I plug in the USB the buzz is actually doubled. I may have been using single coil mode.

I rarely play the amp loud but It only sounds good when its just a little loud. Its sounds kind of ok at low volume . I usually use headphones.

I'm new to electric so some things annoy me, like the notes sometimes POP when I pick them. I'll try and get a recording of what I mean. The first recording I could hear some string buzz/rattle through the headphones but I dunno, maybe its normal.

Electric is so much harder than acoustic, I'm not sure if its my gear that sucks or my playing but acoustic guitar is so much more forgiving.

4. Rox

Rox Active Member

People often say acoustic is much more difficult because there really is nowhere to hide. With poor technique on an electric you just turn up the gain. At least, that's what I do. :D

If you use an amp modeller, for example on Garageband, you can play the strings and notes without a guitar... and you hear the same buzzing and feedback.

If your guitar has any fret buzz you should hear it from your electric even when unplugged. If it isn't there unplugged, it's not fret buzz.

The second clip sounds very stratty, so that may have been the single coil buzz - which is normal. The first one I think will have just been the natural fuzz from the amp modelling the gain. It will be less when you mute the strings, as there's very little signal for the amp to amplify.

Personally, I love (within reason) the buzz and the feedback. I like my compositions to sound a little "dirty".

But when you want those sparkling clean stratty sounds, I think people use a noise gate to help shut it off...? I don't really use pedals (yes, very odd!) so I'm sure others will chime in on that one.

5. Didds

Didds Well-Known Member

Sounds pretty clean to me. I don't really hear any fret buzz. If you're really worried about it, make sure that when you fret a string, your finger is as close to the next fret as possible without touching it.

P.S: I like that pun about "Fretting about fretting"

6. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Before playing, when the hum is at its loudest, rotate slowly with the guitar and at one point it should almost disappear.
    Does it hum more when you don't touch the guitar ? If so, you might have a ground problem.

The fuzzy sound could be your amp settings being too loud, it makes the recording app distort. Do you see a volume bar/meter in the recording app ? If so, make sure it never goes into the red zone.

7. DCCable

DCCable Active Member

The only thing I hear on these recordings is that you seem to be monitoring/setting EQ through the built in speakers on a laptop. As a result the bottom end is cranked way too high. Other than that things sound pretty good.