Katana 50 VS Mustang III

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by DrBGood, Nov 30, 2018.

1. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

I know both of these play the same game. I'm looking for the one that has the best clean low frequency response. Any of you did a side by side shoot out ?

2. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

I've used both. Never officially A-B tested 'em but I would give the slightest edge to the Katana. The two channels is a nice feature, too.

3. DrBGood

What do you mean two channels ? Both have one input jack and basically the same features: gain, volume, EQ, master.

4. Biddlin

1amp.jpg
    BTW, one of my complaints about modellers in general is the complicated control scheme. I find the Katana's controls a bit more intuitive than the Mustang's. Vox modellers befuddle me entirely.

Lunacy the Faded likes this.
  5. Clifdawg

Clifdawg Well-Known Member

I think it's easier to dial in a decent sound with the Katana 50, but honestly, "decent" is the best it gets. The Katana rarely sounds "bad" no matter how much you mess with it.

The Mustang III is a much more fickle companion. There are many sounds (and some amp and cab models in general) that sound well and truly awful. But if you take the time to get to grips with it's powerful DSP and it's myriad of options, it can also sound downright phenomenal. I could certainly give you some starting points if you get one (stick with the '57 Deluxe, Bassman, '65 Twin, British '80s, and British Colour models. You're welcome.).

In terms of actual low-frequency power, the Mustang absolutely smokes the Katana 50, especially at low volumes. The speaker in the Katana has a relatively small magnet that barely clears the chassis, and along with it's tiny cab dimensions, it struggles to throw a lot of bass out. You have to really give it some juice to get decent bass response, and even then, it sounds kinda boxy. The Celestion G12-100 in the Mustang III really reproduces cab simulations well, and the extra cabinet space makes it feel more full and open, even at low volumes.

For ease of use and compact size, go Katana. For overall tonal quality and features, go Mustang III.

Oh, and only go for the V.2 Mustangs. The first run doesn't have a few models that do sound really good (the aforementioned Orange, or British Colour, being a standout), but more importantly, they are prone to developing a low level "fizz" or "hiss" that is permanent and irreparable. The V.2's are absolute beasts.

6. DrBGood

Thanks Cliff, good comments here. I'm taking notes.

Already possessing a Katana 100, that I closed the back of the cab to get decent bass. I can see the 50 sounding boxy.

7. DFLCC

DFLCC Well-Known Member

Go Katana 100, better amp with better cab and just a few bucks more. Can’t loose!

8. DrBGood

It sometimes helps to read the whole thread, not only the title :rofl: But thanks anyway for the suggestion.

9. Clifdawg

Clifdawg Well-Known Member

Also, forgot to mention - if you're looking online, the V.2's are easily distinguishable by the standard leather-esque pattern tolex. The original run had a cheesy carbon-fiber pattern in the tolex.

10. Biddlin

If there was a third option, I would go Fender Champion 50xl. Simple and sounds good.

11. DrBGood

Thanks, I saw that.
    Saw that too, but I never buy new music gear except for strings and cables. Too spensive.

12. DFLCC

DFLCC Well-Known Member

Sure thing bud, I guess I missed your post by 1 minute. I guess I was impolite and a made mistake. Or maybe we were just replying to this thread at relatively at the same time. Seems to me the time stamp indicates so. Sad it's persive that way.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
    DrBGood likes this.
  13. DrBGood

Sorry man, my bad, I should have seen that before replying. :cheers:

14. Biddlin

:lol:You're both pretty! Now can we man up? Geez, I need to go play some rockabilly and look at cheezy pinup posters from the 70s and build up some testosterone.:naughty:

Worblehat likes this.
  15. DFLCC

DFLCC Well-Known Member

My hat off to you brother, you got my respect.

DrBGood likes this.
  16. DrBGood

After much considerations ...

Remember my newly built SCXD 1X12" combo cab ? I just replaced the thinner baffle with a ¾" plywood baffle (did the same for the back panel) and it now sounds thighter and much less boxy. Satisfied customer here. So, this is the one that's going to live at the cottage. No more need for a new amp. How's that ? Bummer eh ?

It will also look better than any Mustang or Katana would in there.

¾  inch baffle-.jpg

Biddlin, Ray, S.Ustain and 3 others like this.
  17. DrBGood

Well ... I went ahead and bought a Mustang II V2 anyways. Turned out it's faulty and the seller will give me my money back. Not a bad thing, because I found another one of the same, fully functionnal and like new, for $25 less.

For now, until next summer, I'll play the above SCXD back to back with the Mustang and then decide which will spend its summers by the ocean.

18. S.Ustain

S.Ustain Active Member

Nice job on the Super Champ cab. Get a cover so you don't bang the corners. Great loking combo.

DrBGood likes this.
  19. DrBGood

Thanks.
    I wouldn't mind if it got banged a tad, it would give it more mojo. But it probably won't. It's going to live at the summer cottage, where it will get played for 2 months out of the year.

20. fos1

fos1 Member

The Super Champ gets my vote. It is beautiful. I am sure it sounds great with such a nice cab. Real wood!

Ray and DrBGood like this.