Korean Vintage G400 anyone ?

Discussion in 'Epiphone SG' started by DrBGood, Jan 18, 2020.

1. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

2. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Overpriced but appears to be in good condition. Chips in finish, possible bridge placement issue and that infected switchtip. Also a Florida guitar and we know what happens to Epi G-400s down there.
    crapstock.jpg
    :naughty:

3. DrBGood

What about ? I don't see it.

4. Biddlin

All the saddles are near or at the front limits. Is that because the placement is a little too far aft? With the cosmetics and that possible issue $250 usd (That's still $315 after shipping) is a good offer, if he was taking offers. At his price let him sit on it a while and maybe he'll get realistic.

5. Trey LePark

Trey LePark New Member

All you have to do is flip the saddles around on the A and D strings. Or change the strings. I've seen 2 identical sets of strings from the same package require different intonations before. And switching from Slinky to DiAddario will certainly require an adjustment.

I want to know what qualifies it as vintage?

6. Biddlin

[​IMG]
    That's the name Epiphone gave it, Mobile Home Community.:lol:
    I seem to have missed your introduction thread, so welcome to the forum and please tell us more about you and your gear. We are visually oriented folk and our unofficial motto is "Pics, or it didn't happen" so I'll show one of mine first.
    g400vert.jpg

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
  7. vancouverois

vancouverois Member

What are the production years of these MIK guitars with neck binding?

Not so long ago there was an Epi SG made at the Bohemia Factory on my local Craig list.
    It was already gone when I called.
    No neck binding though.

8. Biddlin

2002-2005 I believe. I've owned two now and kept the best to mod. The pickups are hot and great for hard rock and metal, the guitars are well built but easily dented or scratched. I have relocated a pair of 57s into mine and put the "hot 57" originals in a Les Paul. For what it's worth, I think the Chinese do a generally better build on newer models than these MIK but that is just due to improvements in equipment and construction methods.

vancouverois likes this.
  9. DrBGood

Made only over two years, from mid 2003 to mid 2005. I've had 4 of them up to now and kept two. One of them sounds really dark, so I'm about to transplant a set of Tyson Tone PAFs that were too bright for my LP.

Here are three of them. I sold the middle one. Yeah I know, it's the prettiest, but it was really really dark sounding. Could have been good for death metal.

01-.jpg

10. Trey LePark

Trey LePark New Member

Ok. About me: 61 YO male. I've been playing guitar and bass since the 60's. I am currently in 2 bands, one as a guitarist and the other as the bassist. I do some minor pay per play work for a small studio in Maryland. Some of my equipment is my 1993 Samick produced G-400 that I bought brand new. I also have a Fender American made 1983 Tele, a Fender Jazz Aerodyne bass and some other guitars. I have a bunch of amps including an Ampeg BA210v2 and a Marshall DSL100H. I have so many pedals it would take a while to list them all. PA equipment includes Mackie, DBX, Yamaha blah, blah, blah. My G-400 is all original except for the nut. That's a Graph Tech. g-400a.jpg g-400b.jpg

11. DrBGood

Nice one and you are the living proof that not much needs to be upgraded on an Epiphone.

I like the rabbit ears :rofl:

copy.jpg

Dagger and Trey LePark like this.
  12. Trey LePark

Trey LePark New Member

saddle.jpg BTW, here's a pic of my bridge. You'll notice the G and B string saddles are flipped. The strings are DiAddario EXL120s.

Dagger and DrBGood like this.
  13. Dagger

Dagger Member

I had that same sg Trey Lepark a 93/94 model it was beautiful I believe they had a Nitro finish and they were carved the same as the Gibsons at the time as well as the neck tenon. Here comes the horror story. I was a young man and stupidly leaned it against my amp we all know what happens next bang crash my girlfriend at the time knocked it over off comes the headstock. Being a angry young punk rocker I stupidly smashed it to bits. As the song goes I wish I knew what I know now I would have just glued it and clamped it. I saved up some money hoping to get another one sadly I walked into the music store and all the had was the Chinese model that's when I found out epiphone had moved production from Korea to China I still bought the Chinese one but it couldn't hold a candle compared to the Korean samick plant version. The pickups sucked body routs and horn carve sucked finish was that plasticky laquer I still have it but that Korean model still haunts my dreams it really felt,sounded and played like a Gibson sg special. I could go on for days about the differences between the two but I've said to much already.