Laney CUB12R (Single Channel Amp)

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by lukeap69, Jun 13, 2018.

1. lukeap69

lukeap69 New Member

I have recently acquired a Laney CUB12R which is an inexpensive (in relative terms) single channel tube (valve) amp. It sounds great with my SG both clean and OD (in my low standards). Since it is a single channel and there is no switch to quickly change from clean to OD, I am thinking of adding a OD pedal (or use my Line 6 Amplifi FX100) in front of the amp. Are there any other suggestions on achieving what I want to do? How do you use your single channel amps?

Cheers in advanced.

2. Epiphan

Epiphan Active Member

I had one. Good amps and the <1 watt input is good for home use.
    The old way of doing things was crank the amp and adjust volume/gain with the volume on the guitar. Works a treat :-)

lukeap69 likes this.
  3. lukeap69

lukeap69 New Member

Thanks for the tip Epiphan. Yes, I mostly use the <1 watt input.

4. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

I have the Cub12R and love it.

You can set the amp at a higher level of gain and use the volume controls on your guitar to reduce the amount. I usually have the gain knob at around 6.5 and can dial all the way back to a really nice clean sound. On a guitar like an SG with a volume control for each pickup you can preset both volumes, one higher and one lower, and use the toggle switch to effectively "switch channels".

I also have a boost pedal, a DOD Bifet Boost, that I can kick in to raise the gain more if I want. I prefer the boost to an OD pedal because it just pushes the front end of the amp harder and into more of that natural tube OD that we all love.

So between to guitar's volumes and the boost I can have just about any level of gain I want literally at my fingertips. I actually prefer single channel amps.

Westernrider and lukeap69 like this.
  5. lukeap69

lukeap69 New Member

I never thought of getting clean tones with higher gain but lower volume from my SG. I will surely try that. Thanks for the tip!