Laney GH30R-112

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by plankton, Dec 1, 2019 at 4:49 AM.

1. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

I’ve had this amp for almost a week now and it’s amazing, lots of great classic rock tones. It’s designed to let you mix preamp and power tube distortion, and with the really effective master volume you can get them at any volume.

It’s a two channel amp, but not quite the normal clean channel and dirty channel arrangement. Either one can be set for any level of gain, from sparkly clean to quite heavy. Channel one has a single drive knob which, depending on your pickups and attack, will be clean until about 9:00 and progressively dirtier after that. Channel two has drive and volume knobs, and this is where you can blend gain from both the pre and power tubes. Drive is the preamp gain and volume is the power section and you can get lots of different textures by playing around with them. With the drive low and the volume up it does a really nice clean sound which has a different character than channel one.

I’ve found that while there’s heaps of different tone variations to be had, if you want to use both channels in a live situation and have them the same volume you’re a bit more limited. You can definitely still get some amazing sounds that balance with each other. I’ve got mine currently set with channel one just above 9:00 which gives that great EL34 edge of breakup tone, dig in for a bit more dirt, go gently (or roll back the guitar volume) for sweet cleans. Great stuff! On channel two I have the drive at about 9:00 but the volume near max, really driving those power tubes for a great classic rock sound. It takes all my boost and fuzz pedals really well, responding especially well to a Rangemaster copy.

One of the real strengths of this amp is the master section, which has tone and volume knobs. The tone knob is great for going from fat to bright without having to mess with the BMT knobs and therefore affecting the overall tonality of the amp. The master volume works as a proper one should, letting you back the output down to friendly levels without the tone going to crap. When needed, this thing will get very loud. The sound does change a bit though as a speaker is simply going to sound different when it’s being driven hard as opposed to barely at all. I’m not much of a reverb guy, just using a bit when in smaller spaces, but this amp also has a nice built-in digital reverb.

This is a classic British EL34 amp for sure, but bright and mid-shift pull switches give it a bit more flexibility. I found I could get a decent Tweed approximation by dialling back the master tone and engaging the mid-shift. I’ve used the amp with an SG with humbuckers, a LP Special with P90s, a Firebird and HSS Strat and it sounds great with all of them and allows each of their own personalities to shine through.

The amp comes with a Celestion V-type speaker, which compliments it very well, housed in an ample open back enclosure. There’s lots of options for connecting other cabs too. It also has an effects loop and DI out, neither of which I have tried yet. There is also a supplied two button footswitch for channel and reverb and an amp cover, plus some cool stickers.

The only confusing thing about this amp is that it doesn’t seem to be very popular. The tones are fantastic and it’s priced competitively, but there’s very little in the way of reviews or videos. Even Laney doesn’t seem to be pushing this amp very well, even though it gives that coveted EL34 pushed hard at reasonable volume thing that everyone talks about. Ah well, I’ve got one, and it’s sweet.

If you’re in the market for such a thing, looking at amps like the DSL 40 or HT 40, if you can find one, I would seriously recommend you try one of these Laneys. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed.

[​IMG]

Here's one of the few videos I found on this thing, it is a decent one though.

Clifdawg likes this.
  2. plankton

No Laney fans here? :sadwave:

3. Clifdawg

Clifdawg Well-Known Member

I might have become one, had Musician's Friend actually sent me a Laney Lionheart 5W combo I ordered when they were blowing them out for about $350 a pop. But no, it was a "computer error." So... Yeah, that happened.

Looks awesome, though! I've heard good things about Laney amps, I just don't have any experience with them.

4. plankton

That's too bad, was the error the price or that they had them in stock?

It doesn't seem that Laneys are very common in the US but they're everywhere down here, even more than Marshall sometimes. When I was shopping around for a new amp I really wanted to try the newer DSL 40, but I couldn't find anyone that had them, only the older version.

Clifdawg likes this.
  5. Clifdawg

Clifdawg Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's the other way around here - I don't think I've ever actually seen a Laney in the flesh here. You can't walk into a music store without tripping over a Marshall DSL here though.