"Last Call: Will sell Out, Make Offer."

Discussion in 'General Music' started by Biddlin, Nov 21, 2019.

1. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

SG John, Voxman and Layne Matz like this.
  2. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Well-Known Member

Successful people aren't those who get what they want, but those who want what they get.

I have maintained for a long time that there are wonderful careers in music that are slightly at a tangent from being a "performing artist" but can be very rewarding and pay well. I entered recording engineering in 1981 with the hope of becoming a recording engineer and getting to play guitar. I discovered that much like recording artists, music recording engineers have a typical shelf life of only six years before they can be found selling real estate to support their family. I went into film and video and eventually became a sound designer, where I am paid a salary with benefits. And now, I produce sound tracks for productions and yes, get to play guitar on those sessions.

Bob

3. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

That pretty much sums it up, retired and live the rest my life playing, and still studying, guitar on the beach. Every day playin it, I learn much more than the previous day. I did gigs at night, and don't think, the kinder didn't wake up round 7 am w/a full Hedda steam and a where's dad? We need to get him up! Early 70's worked in a music store, gave lessons , repairs, and bought a lot of gear that I flipped for a good profit! Had an XKE Jaguar, Plexi 100 Marshall stack and an 61' SGLP. I would say to myself there is nothing else I want anymore, I have everything I desire! 20 years later I came off the road as I was starting to feel like a " Road Rat " and went back to LINY, met a kewpie doll, 17 years old and, well its 35 years later and she's still here. But, she was a bit the jealous/insecure type and made sure I was the most miserable son of bitch heading out to all those gigs, and I was, ….. till, I plugged into my 50/60's JMI Vox AC30/AC15, AC10's, and Tweed amps, my choice .One chord later I was the happiest SOB in the venue, I mean Bar …. w/ a ear to ear grin on my face every night, all night!

SG John and Layne Matz like this.
  4. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

I like Bolinger's column, he seems like a good bloke, his gear videos are well done too.

Voxman likes this.
  5. Tony M

Tony M Well-Known Member

Me too.

Except:
    1- Hiwatt instead of Marshall.
    2- Mid 60's SG custom instead of SGLP.
    3- No XKE, little Black Dodge sedan
    with a turbocharged Dodge truck engine.
    4- My Doll was even younger, loves it when
    I gig and has been around waaaay longer.
    5- BF Fenders instead of Vox AC's.

...and no beaches. Inner city guy here.

SG John, Voxman and Layne Matz like this.
  6. Voxman

Tony, I sold the 100 watt Hiwatt as it was too loud, and bought a 50watt …. It was freekin louder than the 100! Truth be told …. they sound amazing though!

Tony M and SG John like this.
  7. SG John

SG John Well-Known Member

I'll never sell mine. I don't care if other peoples' ears bleed.

Voxman likes this.
  8. Voxman

But when you turn em up you realize what the Hiwatt sound was all about. It's completely different than anything else. That " Master Volume " knob does not really work like any others before or after Hiwatt. We really grew up and played through the Golden Age of guitar amps. Thank God they took a very long time to go up like the guitars suddenly did. Every single time someone of any age comes over and we play all the amps, from a Marshall JTM 100 stack to a Fender tweed champ, all everyone has ever said is " Why don't they make amps that sound like that now?, and the longer you leave them on the better they sound ". Playing through a Marshall stack is a guitarist's " Rite of Passage " , always has been. IMHO

SG John likes this.
  9. Tony M

Tony M Well-Known Member

Marshall...

upload_2019-11-27_1-9-4.jpeg

Hiwatt...

upload_2019-11-27_1-9-4.jpeg

SG John, Voxman and Piper68Special like this.
  10. Voxman

I just felt the need to put something else out there. I have a 66 Park 150, it's early but not as early as a Marshall 45/100 which I got one too well, point is …. the Park 150 w/ 4- GEC KT88's can blow any speaker I have or had! I've put it on a stack w/ 55hz 30w Bass speakers, slant & straight, 100 logo on each cabinet, and being an old man but still a child, and doing this since I was 12, I can hear when a speaker is about to " let go " and blow and that amp was going to take out every speaker in the stack!! AS an adolescent I was banned from RadioShack for bringing back the Old SRO speakers that they sold as " Blowout " proof! You know, the ones with the really large white covers, alnico's, I believe. I told em I aint the one who is saying they were blow out proof, they were. In retrospect , well, I think, at that time , fuzz boxes started become available and I was using the very first Univox super fuzz's and one setting was a SQUARE wave. The pedal had a 1 or 2 switch in the side n one of those settings was a square wave thingy …