LDG Guitars SG Copy

Discussion in 'SG Copies' started by Ed Vinhas, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Ed Vinhas

Ed Vinhas New Member

Ran across this not too long ago, a very nice SG copy made by a company called LDG Guitars. They sell them on a website called Shopyst.com.

Looks and plays great, only $275 (with a gig bag). Anybody else heard about this brand?

Here are some photos.

Ed Vinhas[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

eS.G. and Yes G like this.
  2. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

It looks nice. It could be one of the same Chinese company that make Chibsons that decided to got legit.

That one is yours ? How is the build quality, neck joint, fret ends, neck binding, etc ?

PeteR likes this.
  3. JohnnyGoo

JohnnyGoo Well-Known Member

Welcome Ed and nice lookin SG

4. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

Took a look at the site. I have to say, they look pretty nice. I'm guessing they're made in a factory that makes Chibsons, but sold by an American company, since they use their own name and the listings are in proper English with a fair amount of info. Probably still not "legal" though, having the open book headstock.

PeteR likes this.
  5. Gibsg

Gibsg Well-Known Member

It looks very similar

Image temp 2209.jpg

6. Ed Vinhas

Ed Vinhas New Member

Hi DrB,

I pulled these photos directly from their website. Looks exactly the same, so I figured I'd use them instead of my "shaky cam" photos.

The build quality is pretty good, neck and frets are fine. There is a little bit of "schmutz" around some of the fret ends, but no loose frets or fret ends popping out, or like that. Intonation is spot on and it holds a tuning well.

Now, all that good stuff said, there are a few problems (of course). The tone knobs don't do a heck of a lot. From 1 to 8 pretty much does nothing, but from 8 to 10 rolls off some treble.

The action is a little bit high, but I like it like that (lets the note sing a bit more), so for me it's not a problem, but others might not like it like that.

The worst offence is that the neck pickup is microphonic. If I turn the volume to around 8 it's fine, but of course, it just shouldn't do that. The bridge pickup is OK. Is it weird for one pickup to be microphonic and not the other? Just askin'.

Anyhow, I do like the guitar very much. Was going to put in new pickups anyway, and I'll have them remove the schmutz around the frets. Very pretty guitar, and even with the few bugaboos, I dig it.

I was wanting an SG for awhile, and I tried out a few at the local GC. Really liked the Derek Trucks model and the Faded SG.

Derek Trucks model was just out of my price range. Some of the others I really didn't like. Felt like toys and were kind of ugly. So, even with spending the money to fix up my LDG SG, I think I'll still be saving money and still have a good SG that I'll love.

Thanks,
    Ed V.

7. Ed Vinhas

Ed Vinhas New Member

Thanks Johnny!

8. Ed Vinhas

Ed Vinhas New Member

Howdy P2L,

Wow, the headstock shape makes it illegal, too? I thought it was just the logo that made it bogus.

Ed V.

9. Ed Vinhas

Ed Vinhas New Member

Hi Gibsg,

The coloring is definitely similar, but the "quilt" (?) pattern is different.

Ed V.

Gibsg likes this.
  10. Gibsg

Gibsg Well-Known Member

Yes, your LDG is nice, better than Epi photo flame.

11. ScottMarlowe

ScottMarlowe Well-Known Member

The basic test is whether an average buy, looking at the guitar on the wall, might mistake it for a Gibson. Gibson sued PRS and lost hard, and they've been pretty gun shy about doing it again.

When I see this guitar, there's no doubt in my mind it's NOT a Gibson, so I doubt it'd be C&Dd.

12. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Howdy and welcome

13. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

But they did win the Ibanez suit, which was over the headstock shape. That's why all Japanese manufacturers stopped using the open book HS after 77 or so. There's a reason no legitimate manufacturers use that headstock today.

And they apparently intimidate anybody who thinks of using the LP or SG body shape. Samick and Agile both had LP copies with accurate body shapes and had to change them before long. I'm surprised Agile can get away with just rounding off the horn.

14. Gibsg

Gibsg Well-Known Member

Actually open book headstocks are authorised in Japan. A true lawsuit guitar should have the design and logo Gibson style .

15. Ed Vinhas

Ed Vinhas New Member

Hi Scott,

Does Gibson tend to go after any company that makes a look-alike guitar, or just the companies that sell well?

Ed