Left-Handed or Right-Handed? Kind Of A Poll

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Steverz, Jun 8, 2019.

1. DanB

DanB Active Member

Well, according to LeftyFretz, which is a great site for resources for left handed guitarists, Fender has actually come out with an ambidextrous guitar that can be played both left and right handed. So for all you people that can play both lefty and righty, here is your signature model! (see below)

Seriously, though, I agree with everyone else here that regardless of your orientation, whatever works well for you in playing your guitar you should do. My only regret as a left handed player is the obvious one of going into a guitar store and there are maybe five left handed models out of 100 guitars there to play. The other complaint of course is the more limited color and model options as a lefty. Gibson I think compared to other guitar manufacturers has always been fairly lefty friendly, so we left handed players are fairly fortunate in that regard.
    https://leftyfretz.com/fender-ambidextrous-guitar/
    [​IMG]

2. GrumpyOldDBA

GrumpyOldDBA Well-Known Member

Interesting read thanks for all the lefties chipping in.

As a former basketball coach for younger girls ( my daughters and a bunch of their teams over the years ) I saw so many things. Parents of course tend to try to force right handed behavior. With a basketball you really need to be mostly using one hand with slight support of the other hand. So that sometimes lead to the question "which is your natural hand".

That gets more convoluted to determine as the older kids get and then for adults messy. But a simple test could be tried if some trust is already in place between kid and coach. Take a soft tennis ball. Ask the kid to put both hands behind their back hanging down separately. ( Show them ). Explain that you are going to stand a few feet away and softly toss them the tennis ball. You can only catch it with one hand. Then try a soft slow toss at their stomach. Repeat up to 10 times. Most righties will use right hand 10 times. Most lefties will use left hand 7/8/10 times. ( Toss the ball to them using both of your hands together in the middle of your body to not mess up the test but ask them to just use one catching it please ).

Then you get the tricky ones that figure out and mess you up by alternating hands ha ha.

As a right handed person things are easier in general especially writing in school.

As a computer geek typing now for 50 years you use both hands fairly equally.

As a right handed guitar player dang the left hand has a lot of work to do. It seems logically maybe that the fretting part and making chords etc is even harder than the right hand work.

So both hands do a lot of work but I don't think I would ever want to try switching hands after using right handed guitars.

What would seem strange to me would be a right handed person playing a left handed guitar with hands switched in responsibilities.

shreddy bender likes this.
  3. alexg

alexg Member

4. alexg

alexg Member

Oh god where is that 1970 lefty sg standard?

5. bluesfordan

bluesfordan Member

highly ambidextrous here, I can do many things equally well with both hands but playing guitar ain't one of them. I can write lefty but not very well. My best basketball shot was a lefty sky hook. The only nephew in my family that showed any interest in guitar, as soon as he picked the guitar up flopped it upside down lefty. My heart sank. I'll never be able to mentor him on how to select a great guitar, something that held me back for decades until I finally learned from a master player who took me under his wing. I tried buying a lefty strat and spent months trying to learn to play on it. My brain knew what I wanted to do, my fingers might as well been on different people the gulf was so wide between brain and fingertips.

It all in vain, alas. He's rather watch WWF and play video games than practice. His mom ended up selling his guitar since he wasn't using it

6. volktar

volktar Member

I'm a lefty that plays right. I blame kindergarten for only supplying right handed scissors. We lefties tend to be force to adapt and overcome. Started playing guitar in 5th grade, violin in 6th etc. Using my dominant hand to do most of the work never felt foreign...

7. John Vasco

John Vasco Active Member

Haven't a clue. Moved it on in the 1970s when I moved on to gigging with Les Pauls.

8. Dale

Dale Well-Known Member

Right play right. Best? Which ever practices more.

9. Steverz

Steverz New Member

THANKS GUYS. ALL great replies. Well thought out.

10. RhinestoneStrat

RhinestoneStrat Member

I'm a righty who occasionally plays a lefty like my Squier Standard Strat.:smile:

[​IMG]

11. jtcnj

jtcnj Well-Known Member

I think about this now and then, sometimes in frustration over my skill progress.
    I am a lefty playing right handed guitars righty, for almost 5 years now.
    I chose this mainly due to availability of equipment, and as my long time guitar playing brother told me "both hands have to learn a lot of things".

It did not feel really uncomfortable compared to my lefty air-guitar antics before.
    I think that since both hands have a lot to do, practice and time develop skill.

I sometimes think in the long run, the picking hand has the more complex and finer movements.

12. arcticsg

arcticsg Well-Known Member

Yeah, pianos and violins come to mind.

13. bgh

bgh Member

Well, the proof is left as an exercise to the right student.

I'll shut the door on my way out. :D

14. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Which hand?:naughty:

bgh likes this.