Legit SG Custom?

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by bon83, Oct 26, 2019.

1. bon83

bon83 Active Member

Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
  2. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

I tend to shy away from Gibsons with buggered up or missing serial numbers.

Also the fact that the neck joint and control cavity photos are missing raises a flag.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
    DanB and bon83 like this.
  3. bon83

bon83 Active Member

Here is another pick

Attached Files:

cerebral gasket likes this.
  4. cerebral gasket

I have never seen a serial number on a legit Gibson stamped like that before. The baseline of the digits are uneven, some digits are slanted, the spacing is off.

A Custom Shop SG does not use 5-digit serial numbers unless it is a Custom Shop Regular Production model which will have the prefix "CS" and those are ink stamped.

A Custom Shop SG should have 6-digit serial number with the following format:

YYRRRM
    Y = Year
    RRR = Production Rank
    M = Model (1=SG Custom & Special)

Below is a 2000 Custom Shop SG Custom with 6-digit serial number on headstock for comparison. Also note that is has small guard with matching early 60’s style control cavity shape.

https://reverb.com/item/1723139-2000-gibson-custom-shop-sg-custom-inverness-green

Last edited: Oct 27, 2019
    bon83 likes this.
  5. bon83

bon83 Active Member

Thank you. I tend to think the same.

6. Herbie74w

Herbie74w Active Member

I agree the serial number looks strange but probably because of the refinish. The rest looks good.

7. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

That's the old '50s through early '60s serial format. It suggests this body was originally an early '61 SG which has been significantly modified. What I can see of the neck joint and beveling/horns seems to corroborate but it's not enough info to be sure.

https://solidguitar.fandom.com/wiki/Dating#Earliest_Known_SGs

Here's a late 1960 SG/LP, one of the earliest SG-body "Les Pauls" produced:

[​IMG]

Hard to read, but that's "0 8869". The first digit is the year and the rest are the production number.

bon83 likes this.
  8. bon83

bon83 Active Member

So it could be a modified early 60s Custom?

9. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

I think the guitar is a real Gibson, but would not be comfortable purchasing it without viewing. I don’t have enough experience with the 50/60’s serial numbers to comment with confidence, but it does appear to be that format. All that, the refinish and the fact that the digits appear slanted is an eye brow raiser. Although it’s likely that someone tried to make the digits legible after the repaint, giving that homemade look.

The headstock face looks 100% legit for a vintage custom, and I don’t think you would find very many people that could replicate that. Especially the distinct discoloring of the white over the years. Looks great.

Also, it appears some of the block inlays have been replaced.

Heavily modified whatever it’s origins are. Possibly a 60’s neck on different body...? Keep in mind it’s two pick-up’s, would be pretty rare, and likely an expert cavity under that pickgurd.

I think it’s a neat piece, and wouldn’t run away so long as I could see it in person and play it.

And Bon83, we all know what your thinking... you want to make a replica of Angus’ Custom so you don’t have to repaint your classic custom. Go ahead, admit it :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bon83 and PermissionToLand like this.
  10. cerebral gasket

I am aware of the difference between the serial number formats. The problem with the serial number in the OP photos is that it has a space between first and second digits. I have only seen the space between the first and second digits with ink stamped serial numbers from the 1950's or Custom Shop 50's Reissue LP's. Never have I seen spaces between digits when the serial number is stamped into the wood (debossed) as shown in the link posted by the OP.

In link the below you will find a legit 1961 SG Special with 5-digit serial number and no spaces between the digits.

https://reverb.com/item/7185689-gibson-sg-special-1961-cherry

11. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

The format changed in early 1961 to the '60s format without a space. So the SG you linked is a typical '61. Only the very early '61 models kept the old format with a space, as seen on late 1960 SG/LPs.

And I believe the vintage SG serials were not ink stamped at all, they just appear that way because of the black grain filler that fills them in. I could be wrong but I believe that's the case.

12. bon83

bon83 Active Member

Ha ha ha
    That's so damn right mate :thumb: