Let's see your vintage SG!

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by Kevin James, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Steve D

Steve D Well-Known Member

I'll bet you wish you still had that '63!

The '68 Custom is really cool, up earlier on this page of the thread someone posted their '69 SG Custom and it had the same color scheme as yours, including the white pickguard. I was surprised and wondered if that was really original but what more proof can there be than someone a few posts later putting their own guitar of the same model with the same configuration.

A lot of 1960s SG Customs are showing up in this thread, that's awesome. There can't have been that many made so it great that they still exist and we can all get a look at them thanks to the internet.

belleswell and zhivago like this.
  2. zhivago

zhivago New Member

It has minimal checking and the three PAFs are still intact...I added a MojoAxe VibroStop to it and it just sings! :)

Steve D and belleswell like this.
  3. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

Purely fading of the finishes. Gibson only offered the Standard in Cherry until 1969, when Walnut was added (and quickly became the most produced option). The only other possibility is a custom order of Sparkling Burgundy, but that is totally opaque and metallic, so hard to confuse with Cherry.

Customs were White only until 1969 and then Walnut only. No overlap. So his would have to be a 1969 as well.

4. Satellitedog

Satellitedog Active Member

Alright, I read the whole restoration thread over on TDPRI, and it is very informative, and one of the best reads in the genre, I suggest everyone at least take a look. Also, I really like your sense of humor.

The reason for quoting your post is that I've been wondering whether there is a difference between the body thickness of current SG models and '60s ones? I saw the comparison shot with your SG Classic, which has the "cold chisel" horns, but even the pointy early '60s horns don't seem to slope downwards much from the top plain of the body, and yet the difference looks immense, the early SG shape just looks streamlined and featherweight. I can accept if that it's just a matter of sculpt/design, and the viewpoint tricks my eyes, but I'd like to actually know. Is the full body thickness the same between modern and early SGs?
    Thanks for posting your progress.

5. Steve D

Uh oh ... horns and bevels being brought up ... that might bring some passion to the thread! :smile:

6. Satellitedog

:-DDDD Nah, I'm only here for the thiccness :-D

although I do have strict preferences with regards to horn styles.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
    Steve D and Chuteboxehero like this.
  7. Steve D

I also have preferences for horns and bevels, I can't really say specifically, more like seeing one and saying "oh yeah, that looks great". I'd say though i tend to favor more heavily carved ones (i.e. large bevels, very tapered cutaways). It looks more hand made to me when you have that going on. I know it's not any more so, but hey, I like it that way anyway.

8. Satellitedog

I share your sentiment, although not for the original bevls being handmade looking. That's one of the weaknesses from an aesthetic point of view.

I really admire the sculptural design concept of the SG with the subtle asymmetries and streamlined space age sleekness with relatively sharp contours all round.
    This is the reason I really dislike the post '65 revisions to the beveling, and I also hate how in the last twenty plus years they never got the design right, even now when it would be really easy to do so, with the technology given.
    The Custom Shop VOS reissues look very-very nice with the deep bevels and precise curves, but even those got the essence of the horn design wrong. Precision Guitar Kits got it right from a conceptual standpoint but theirs are so crisply done they lack the handmade look in general (which highlights the design, but more like a sportscar, less like a guitar).

9. Chuteboxehero

Chuteboxehero Active Member

I recently noticed how big of a difference there was in the overall shape of the SG and posted a few pics of the difference in the "horns" between my '67 and '74. I hadn't realized there was a major change between pre and post '65. I know by '69-70 they started to lose the deep bevel and take on more of a 70s style carve. I'll have to check some pics to see how they looked up to '65. I think this is one of best qualities of the SG. Most people probably don't realize how much the shape changed over the years but to those who notice, it adds another feature to love/hate.

10. Satellitedog

With the introduction of the full face/batwing pickguard they shrunk the lower horn's cutaway beveling noticeably (and the upper one as well, although to a lesser degree). I find it pretty ugly to be honest. It doesn't match the original balance of the design, and it doesn't match the new pickguard shape much better either.

11. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

I don’t understand the obsession with horn bevels and Nashville to ABR -1 conversions.

It happens that all my SG have batwings and I have no preference of what kind of guard.

The most important things to me are how the guitar plays, feels and sounds.

12. Satellitedog

That is the most important thing about any guitar of course.
    For me it's weight -> neck feel/playability -> resonance/acoustic volume and tone.
    However, SG-s are not a utilitarian design, like LP Juniors and Specials (single and double cut) or Telecasters, so the curves, contours and beveling are very much part of the reason they exist. Like a fine sports car or boat, that you don't need, but which grabs your attention and attracts and grabs you with it's predatory good looks and elegance.
    I'd love to see some prototype SGs, or preliminary sculpts, because it was fine work, the og. design, and probably a lot of thought had been put into its making.

Steve D likes this.
  13. tigger

tigger New Member

Thanks! And sorry for the delayed response, I don't frequent this forum too often. I did body thickness measurements now and it's 1.374" for the '65 and 1.367" for the '06. So pretty much the same. I completely agree that the '65 just looks thinner and lighter and, well, nicer :)
    It is totally my favorite guitar and the others are jealous. I'm not sure if it makes sense but it's not tonally as versatile as a lot of my other guitars and it takes some time to get the tone right, but once that happens it's magic.

Satellitedog likes this.
  14. Satellitedog

Hey, no probs, thanks for measuring them!
    I could imagine the close relative placement of the pickups, and the slightly less focused sound of the resonant mahogany body may be the reason for a lack of great versatility compared to others. All my SGs sound pretty different to each other and my other electric, so I'm not complaining, all four have their uses.