Let's see your vintage SG!

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by Kevin James, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Susihukkanen

Susihukkanen Well-Known Member

Thank you! What you said about the patent, you are totally correct! The claims of that patent are indeed about guitar construction, not about humbucker. So most likely it should be this patent refered in the sticker? Espacenet - Original document

Yes, that acoustic tone is quite different when compared to my other SGs.

2. Relic61

Relic61 Well-Known Member

It turns out the guitar did not burn up in November 1980 when a cargo plane crashed on takeoff in Caracas, Venezuela, on its way to Panama, where Mr. Frampton was to perform. Instead someone plucked it from the burning wreckage and later sold it to a musician on the Dutch Caribbean island of Curaçao.

The guitar was returned to Mr. Frampton in Nashville last month after a two-year negotiation involving the local musician who had the guitar, a customs agent who repairs guitars in his spare time, a diehard Frampton fan in the Netherlands and the head of the island’s tourist board.

Mr. Kabbara said the guitar surfaced two years ago when the local guitarist, who has not been identified, took the instrument to Donald Balentina, a Curaçao customs agent who collects and repairs old guitars in his spare time. The musician had been using it for decades, playing in hotels and bars on the island, but did not know the instrument’s history, Mr. Kabbara said.

Asked to repair the guitar, Mr. Balentina noticed the unusual third set of pickups and burn marks on the neck, Mr. Kabbara said. The customs agent began to suspect the guitar might be the one Mr. Frampton had played on the “Frampton Comes Alive!” album. He consulted with another Frampton fan in the Netherlands, who confirmed it had all the earmarks of the missing Gibson. Mr. Balentina also sent photos of the inner works of the guitar to Mr. Frampton. Mr. Frampton said he was stunned when he saw the photos; it looked like guitar, he said, but he could not be sure.

For two years Mr. Balentina tried to persuade the local guitarist to sell the instrument, and finally, in November, facing a financial problem, he finally agreed. But Mr. Balentina did not have money and, afraid another buyer might scoop up the guitar, he approached Mr. Kabbara at the tourist board.
    Mr. Kabbara, an amateur guitarist who admires Mr. Frampton, agreed to put up the board’s funds to purchase the guitar, on one condition. He and Mr. Balentina would take the guitar to Mr. Frampton as a gesture of goodwill. “I thought the right thing to do was to give him back his guitar,” he said. “This guitar was him. The whole 1970s was this guitar.”

Mr. Frampton, who is 61, said he hopes to play the guitar again when he appears at the Beacon Theater in New York in February. For now, he has left the instrument at the Gibson Custom Shop in Nashville to have some minor repairs made. The neck is still straight, he said, but he must replace old pickups with new ones, made to the same specifications as the original coils. But he said he will leave the burn marks and scrapes alone.
    “I want it to have its battle scars,” he said.

Change the pickups!?! ARE YOU F^C#!N$ KIDDING ME!?!?

chilipeppermaniac likes this.
  3. Relic61

I believe Gibson was intentionally wrong & did not want the right patent number on that sticker for anybody to reference so , with that being thier intent (to mislead) there was no real 'should be' number for that sticker . It was wrong intentionally & was actually a patent # for a Gibson trapeze tailpiece bridge and not for a pickup at all & done simply to throw people off track & keep the design a secret. The correct patent number for the Seth Lover designed humbucker for Gibson is (U.S. Patent 2,896,491).

PS. I cant view that link for that page you posted so I cant comment ATT on it.

4. Susihukkanen

Susihukkanen Well-Known Member

That link on my previous post was to the same US 2,896,491.

5. Mike Leaf

Mike Leaf Member

Or maybe they had thousands of those little stickers on a shelf for 10 years , since they were to be placed on the trapeze , and that went out of production in 1953...

Someone cracked the idea to put them on the PAF instead of ordering new decals.... And then ordered more without noticing the mistake in the nr.

Who knows?

I dont think Gibson ever admitted they put the wrong patent on there on purpose.

Or maybe they mixed the patents when ordering th decals in 1963.

6. chilipeppermaniac

chilipeppermaniac Well-Known Member

Love it

SG JOHN, I love your collection. All very beautiful.

7. javamagic

javamagic Well-Known Member

On a point of order, it's not a Les Paul Special.

8. old crow

old crow New Member

[​IMG]

Mine started as a poor git with no guts, so it has all aftermarket parts. Nice stuff, boutique but I'm thinkig about slowly putting some original pieces back on. I've put an old abr 1 on and what a different sound :thumb:
    I'll get into all that in the tone section of this forum.
    I'm saying it's a 64 , ser # 330xxx, with a 1 11/16's neck that has plenty of beef.

9. devnulljp

devnulljp Member

This is my 64 SG Jnr. All original except for that Lyle trem that was added long before I got it.
    It's the definition of rawk.

[​IMG]

Susihukkanen likes this.
  10. Mr. Happy

Mr. Happy Well-Known Member

Last two are awesome SG's!

11. leftyjay

leftyjay Member

i didnt see any white les paul customs yet. so here is my 62-63 LPC. shes a pretty clean model. most of the ones i see are pretty beat up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Mike Leaf

Mike Leaf Member

WOW that is RARE to see in that condition! What a lovely guitar, I had 3 white customs between 62 and 63 but all with maestro vibrolas, this guitar is awesome, congratulations and a happy New Year!

Do You know exactly when it was made? cant be too many made in 63 with the sideways tremelo?

13. sgtbeefheart

sgtbeefheart Well-Known Member

The cream customs have always been my favourite SG,
    and that one is particularly beautiful.

Tony_Orto likes this.
  14. Mr. Happy

Mr. Happy Well-Known Member

Oustanding custom sg!! Dude!!.

15. leftyjay

leftyjay Member

the serial number makes it a 63. it does have the pafs. the gold is still gold on the tuners. there is slight tarnish/wear on the the tremelo.

here is my photobucket link of over 100 detail pics. i was very lucky to get this guitar. i tend to think its the cleanest one on the planet.

leftyjay's Library | Photobucket

16. Delboy

Delboy Well-Known Member

That's in fantastic condition, even the gold hardware is unworn. Beautiful guitar.

17. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Pafs, classic white, with the "Les Paul" tenon cover....what a great guitar.

18. Relic61

That white LP/SG Custom is simply beautiful and perfect. It just moves me to look at it. Thanks for posting. I sooo want one of these. Visually it is inspiring. It looks all original so are the pups PAF or the Patent number pups which I believe they started putting in them in 63. I also thought the Les Paul name plate stopped in 62 but like we hear, the Customs usually took longer to use up all the pre-made/ordered parts so it wouldn't be too strange to see a 63 with one.

It would be very interesting to nail that date down. Are the pots original?

Sorry to bombard you with questions but a guitar like this awakens that 'I need to know' curiosity inside myself & I'm sure others here as well here. Thanks for posting. A complete tell all is in order brother! Peace & a Happy New Year!

19. Stylemaster

Stylemaster Member

Why must you torture me? :drool:

Biddlin and smitty_p like this.
  20. leftyjay

leftyjay Member

the pups and wiring are all original.
    i tend to think they had a surplus of gold hardware in 63. they probably already had the covers on the pickups. thats why they are paf pups. i will take a few pics of the pots. you can help me read what the date is axactly.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Satellitedog and dickjonesify like this.