List your SG mods along with pics.

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Adamonfirexmx, Sep 21, 2012.

1. gball

gball Well-Known Member

My 2014 SGJ

The mods are pretty minor: blank TRC and the addition of a pickguard. I did try a different bridge pickup in it for a while but went back to stock after a few months. Great guitar[​IMG] .

2. Gibsg

Gibsg Well-Known Member

:wow::wow: Mes respects, serious guitars .

3. Dave_Death

Dave_Death Well-Known Member

This is a serious necrobump but FWIW these are my three SGs:

2011 SG Standard Cherry with Bare Knuckle Cold Sweat humbucker pickup set, TonePros bridge and tailpiece set, custom wired '50s style harness with 500K CTS pots and 0.022uf WD Music PIO caps. Standard tuning. Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinky string set.

2007 SG Special Faded Worn Yellow with Bare Knuckle Warpig humbucker pickup set, TonePros bridge and tailpiece set, Grover auto-locking tuners, Graph Tech TUSQ XL nut, tuned to C standard. D'Addarios EXL 117 Medium Top / Extra-Heavy Bottom string set.

2006 SG Junior Coral Pink with Bare Knuckle Stockholm P-90 pickup, custom wired modern style harness with 500K CTS pots and 0.033uf Russian NOS PEPT poly cap, Grover auto-locking tuners, Graph Tech ResoMax adjustable wraptail bridge, Graph Tech TUSQ XL nut. Tuned to D standard. Ernie Ball Skinny Top Heavy Bottom string set.

4. Gibsg

Gibsg Well-Known Member

2012 SG Standard Ltd Edition ebony fretboard,

- White pickguard
    - Gold hardware
    - ABR '59 bridge
    - Elixir Nanoweb 10-46 strings
    - Vintage Gibson/TKL case

[​IMG]

grausch, JCarno, zisme and 2 others like this.
  5. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

*laughs... this is an old thread for sure. I saw my own post where I said that I
    had my SG faded special "just the way I want her... no more mods..."

la la la... that was written in September 2012. *shrugs ...and the gallery that I
    gave a link for no longer exists. I believe it was destroyed when this site was 'improved."
    this is what you get if you click on it:
    SG error.jpg

...and I believe that the perp's name is right there: XenFoto is responsible for
    the loss of so much that this forum had to offer, including our reference section which was so valuable, with all the archives.

but even though this is an old post, it's still current in many ways. still relevant.
    Because this is the kind of stuff people come to this forum for. How do we 'improve'
    on one of the best designs in the world anyway?

How do we make a guitar better than one of the best factories in the world?
    In spite of all the vitriol and spite churned out by Gibson bashers on practically any forum
    you can name, Gibson remains at the top of the heap. And for a good reason.
    Gibson makes excellent guitars. That's just a fact.

So when we go about 'improving' one of the best instruments there is, we venture into
    Custom Shop territory. And many of us have the combination of balls, brains, experience
    know-how and determination to do this right.

Many others have the combination of bone-head prejudice, OCD, poor taste, tone deafness and
    arrogance to do this wrong. "Pay the price for your lack of vision!" --Padishah Emperor Palpatine
    Emperor Palpatine.jpg

*shrugs ...how's a newbie to know which path to take?
    That's our job here... to offer respectful suggestions, show pictures of cool innovations and
    custom work, and enhance the good sense of right and wrong. And then let people make up
    their own minds.

For example, here's my humble '07 SG faded special (again)... where I bought an already excellent
    guitar and improved it to the point where I believe she can take her place onstage alongside instruments
    costing ten times what I paid for her, and not give up a thing.
    Luna 3@100.jpg
    That's what we're talkin' about. Turning a fairly ordinary (but excellent) workingman's guitar into a
    custom quality professional tool for making good music a bit better, and with an elegant flair
    that gives a performer an edge. I admit to going just a bit OCD over this guitar.

I fell hard for this instrument, and it's now eight years later and I'm not over it yet. So some of
    my mods were not absolutely necessary, but came from the "nuthin' but the best for my bay-bee"
    mentality of the truly smitten. My mods are listed on page two of this thread, and since my old
    gallery has been twerked into hyperspace somewhere, somehow... I'll add a few more photos.

Since the time I wrote "no more mods" I have added black p'up covers (diMarzio) and a hand carved ebony
    switch washer:
    pickuard@100.jpg
    controls@100.jpg
    a Luna close@100.jpg
    these mods were simply decorative, and to give the instrument my own
    ideas of what's cool. This one's a player, not an investment, and these mods
    were to enhance my joy. The earlier mods I added to the instrument were
    mostly practical enhancements to the tone and stability, and they deliver.

Utrecht74, kiko, 58pit and 5 others like this.
  6. zisme

zisme Well-Known Member

this thread far predates my joining this forum, but what the hey...i've just got the 2

2000 gibson gothic 'orville' sg. purchased used from rumble seat music (ithaca, ny) via reverb.com. i recommend browsing rumble seat's site next time your in the mood for some guitar (especially vintage) pr0n. let's just say this was probably the only guitar in their inventory within my price range (and only just!)
    [​IMG]
    mods:
    -swapped stock grover tuners for locking grover machines
    -swapped stock top hat knobs to match stock knobs on my gothic 'morte' sg
    -swapped stock strap pins for Well-Hung Pro Pins
    -removed poker chip
    -swapped stock 498t/490r(?) pickups for dirty fingers

post mods action shot:
    [​IMG]

2011 gibson gothic 'morte'. purchased used off of ebay
    mods:
    -swapped stock grover tuners for locking grover machines - they don't match as nicely on this guitar since the morte's stock hardware is dark nickel vs. the gloss black of the 'orville' sg. it's worth it to me for the convenience of string changes with locking tuners
    -swapped stock strap pins for Well-Hung Pro Pins
    -after trying to get along with the stock active 'GEM' pickups for a while (and really they sound pretty nice), i decided to make the swap to a passive system. the main reason being my preference for the sound of passive pups (the actives, while very natural/organic sounding, were still too thin to my year), but also for the convenience factor of not having to worry about a battery going out on me on stage. this might not have been such a big deal if it weren't for the fact that the battery compartment is in the main control cavity and can only be accessed by unscrewing the entire back cover. STUPID! come on gibson...a simple, easy-to-open battery cavity (like every other active guitar i've played) should not have been too much to ask. so i gutted the stock electronics and replaced them with CTS 500k pots, PIO caps, and switchcraft jack and switch.
    20150904_132853.jpg
    initially i tried a set of seymour duncan black winter pickups. great pickups, but a little too dark compared to the dirty fingers in the 'orville'. next i tried a dimarzio super 3 (bridge) and super 2 (neck). BINGO!

sorry i don't have a color shot (it is all black anyways...). i make the worst facial expressions while playing :facepalm:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
    58pit, grausch, JCarno and 2 others like this.
  7. Gibsg

Gibsg Well-Known Member

I remember those SG Special Gothic and Morte with Orville portrait on the back of the headstock, incredible guitar .

The SG Special Voodoo was very cool too ;)

[​IMG]

grausch, JCarno, syscokid and 3 others like this.
  8. ScottMarlowe

ScottMarlowe Well-Known Member

That's flippin's gorgeous.

9. zisme

zisme Well-Known Member

i've definitely been tempted by that beastie several times. would be killer to get one with that red snakeskin case too!

10. Adam

Adam Member

Beautiful!

11. WavMixer

WavMixer Well-Known Member

That SG of yours still floats my boat! I would go as far as to say that your wood gives me wood! Now I'll duck for cover.

12. Delboy

Delboy Well-Known Member

I know this thread is nearly 4 years old but it's a great subject.
    I don't really mod my guitars but I sold my Parker fly last year and decided to mod my latest SG to be even more versatile than the Parker.
    It already came with Burstbuckers with coil split.
    I added a fishman Piezo bridge pickup and a selector switch to blend the electric and acoustic sounds.
    I've also added a custom truss rod cover.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Gibsg

Gibsg Well-Known Member

WaoOow :facepalm:

14. Col Mustard

Here's my second SG: a 2012 Gibson '70s tribute. This one was designed as a 'tribute" and not as a
    replica. To my mind, that means the designers are free to invoke whatever of the '70s features that
    seem advantageous in the 21st century, while correcting the flaws of the Norlin era.
    April 1@100.jpg
    That's the way I thought of this innovative Gibson. Apparently, other guitarists didn't know what to
    make of this model, and they didn't sell well in 2012. The above photo is as she came from M/F
    in April of 2013. By this time, the guitars had been marked down and down until they were offered for
    just over $600. I couldn't resist any more, and I may have gotten one of the last ones available new.

Satin Silverburst finish, baked maple fretboard, tone pros tuners, corian nut, newly designed mini-humbuckers
    with blade sensors instead of pole pieces, Gibson 500k pots (no PCB), acrylic block inlays, maple neck with volute...
    All of this was instantly desirable to ME... because I love the idea of a unique instrument that has its own
    voice. But guitarists in general can be a narrow minded bunch, and all these innovations were too much
    for them. So I took advantage by getting this excellent instrument at a nice bargain price. *grins

But like, what mods would you do to something this unique? Players who didn't buy them claimed that the
    tuners were crap (not true) and that the Plek job was inadequate (mine's fine anyway), and that a nut made of
    Corian was tonally dead (not true) and that the satin finish wasn't any good (shrugs), and that the baked maple
    fretboard was a terrible thing (not true) and that the pots were cheap garbage (not true)... and that making a Gibson
    guitar with a maple neck was blasphemy (not true) ...oh and that the
    mini-humbuckers sounded dreadful (not true) especially compared with the original mini-humbuckers of the
    REAL '70s (I dunno about that... some people worship Norlin p'ups, others pan them).

What a bunch of hogwash. The truth is, this is a great guitar. I concluded that mods would be stupid on something
    as cool and unique as this. I named her April Numpty, and resolved not to harm her by ill considered tinkering.
    So now it's three years later, and I'm even more enamored of this instrument that I was.
    ...and Guess What?

Gibson has re-issued this design for 2016, called it the SG Special T, priced it at $739.00, given it a rosewood fretboard
    because their confiscated stocks of this wood have been returned after they paid their fines or whatever. And they
    seem to be selling now, many of our members here have the new version and talk about being happy with them.
    I sure am happy with mine.

The only mods I've done to April are very superficial... Custom TRC made of Ebony with abalone and MOP "Tribal Rose" inlay, by Scot Swirski of Canada, ebony pick guard, tenon cover, control cavity cover and switch washer hand carved by me. Oh and I bought a bottle of Meguiar's Ultimate Compound from the auto parts store and used it to hand buff the
    satin paint job to a slightly more glossy look. That's kind of like work.
    Rose 1b@100.jpg
    April 02 ebony@100.jpg
    The rest of this guitar remains as issued. I wouldn't change another thing.
    You can find these as empty shells on websites that sell stripped down bodies.
    One of the cool things about the mini hums is that they fit in the same spaces as
    P-90 p'ups. So if you couldn't live with the minis, you could install P-90s with
    no trouble. I love the tones I get from the mini hums. Especially through my
    BlackHeart Little Giant and also through my Orange Micro Terror and a 1/10 + 1/12
    cab with Jensen MOD speakers.
    Ready 09@100.jpg

grausch, zisme, SG_Island and 3 others like this.
  15. WavMixer

Yo Col, how can I contact Scot Swirski about getting one for me?

16. SG_Island

SG_Island Well-Known Member

The only mod I did to my 2013 Standard was to add an aged amber switch tip!! :naughty:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Col Mustard

I believe this is him, on eBay:
    http://stores.ebay.com/WEC-Truss-Ro...914142016&_sid=46861646&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

some of his prices seem to have gone up... but I like his creations.
    I think I paid about $35 three years ago. He doesn't list TRCs for Epiphones, but
    I sent him the one off my Wilshire and he made one for me. This is it:
    Skeeter TRC even closer@100.jpg
    Pretty cool... Here's how well it goes with the whole headstock:
    Skeeter Headstock 14@100.jpg
    My other SG sports this one:
    TRC@100.jpg

grausch likes this.
  18. WavMixer

That is just the bee's knees! Actually I would want this for my spalted work in progress. I already have a custom TRC for Burla

19. shreddy bender

shreddy bender Well-Known Member

20150313_155205.jpg

Sure, I'll join the party!

Early 2003 Special Faded.
    Sanded the back of the neck to 320 grit.
    Grover Rotomatics.
    Truss rod cover from my 74 Standard that was stolen from my house while I pulled a 16 hour shift at work. :mad:
    Schaller strap locks.
    Black speed knobs on the treble controls.
    Knock off witch hats on the rhythm controls.
    Dirty Fingers in the bridge position.
    24 Groovy Greats L.P. pick guard ( made by me!).
    45 insert for the poker chip (made in Canada to boot!).
    Fret dressing (done by me) in 2013.
    Oh yeah, I almost forgot - "Helena" written in the control cavity in blue sharpie (her full name is Helena Handbasket).

Whew... I think that's about it.

Oh , and a piece of spongy foam to get the pickup in line with the strings.

Yeah. That's it. That's everything.
    :cheers:

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
    Dude, grausch, Col Mustard and 2 others like this.
  20. shreddy bender

shreddy bender Well-Known Member

Crap! :facepalm: AND a Red Stripe beer cap bondoed to the bridge volume knob.

THERE! NOW I got it all!