List your SG mods along with pics.

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Adamonfirexmx, Sep 21, 2012.

1. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

I don't happen to think they are ugly, but to each their own ;)
    It may be unnecessary, but it is so much easier than using non-locking tuners. And the G-Force is even harder to string than non-locking tuners, so since I'm getting rid of it, why not get something 1000x better? :naughty:

2. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Dude, I'm 65 with arthritis and I do a complete string change in 5 minutes with my min E tune. You literally remove the old string, put the new one on the posts tighten the nut, push the button. How tough are you making it?

3. Kep

Kep Well-Known Member

Biddlin I love you man

Biddlin likes this.
  4. Biddlin

My soul is salved by your affection! Many ta's!

5. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

I can change it in 5 minutes too if I don't do all the other adjustments and cleaning that come with a string change - but I can change the lockers in less than that. It's not me that is making it difficult - it is Tronical/Gibson that are. Are you reverse-wrapping on the flange for the low strings? Because that is how you're supposed to wrap it
    [​IMG]

6. Biddlin

That's an American patent. The same one that would provide rations to the next three generations of American GIs, seditious xenophobe.

7. Gahr

Gahr Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I think I have posted this before somewhere on here, but I guess it bears repeating. Actually listing all my mods at once makes me feel weird. I have tinkered with all but one of my five SGs.

Anyway, the four in the picture are the ones I have done stuff to. From left to right:

1. 2013 Gibson Future Tribute. Just got a husk for this one. Put in a wiring harness from Mojotone, 57 Classics (where the A2 magnets have been swapped for A5 and the neck pup magnet is flipped for the PG tone), tuners are Gibson Deluxe and the pickguard is from Creamtone. I don't remember where I bought the bridge and tailpiece, but I think it was a German store. The knobs and TRC were taken from the Faded Special. Since the picture was taken I have changed the switch tip for a black one as well.

2. 2008 Faded Special. Pickups are 57 Classic (neck) and 57 Classic+. Again, Peter Green mod and A2 swapped out for A5 magnets. Lyre Vibrola from Crazyparts, wide-bevelled pickguard from Crazyparts. Reflector knobs added. Bevelled TRC also from Crazyparts (I think).

3. 2014 Derek Trucks Signature. Pickguard from Creamtone, Throbak PG-102 pickups (the original 57 Classics are in the Future Tribute). 50s wiring mod on the electronics.

4. 1975 SG-II. Bridge swapped (not in the picture). The original bridge is compensated for a wound G string, I have put on a bridge from Crazyparts compensated for a plain one. Since the picture was taken I have also changed the tuners. The ones that were in the guitar were Klusons, but two of them were falling apart, so I fund an original set of three-on-a-side ones, to restore the guitar to its former "glory".

My fifth SG is an Epiphone 50th anniversary '61 reissue. No modifications. Yet. I don't play it much, but it deserves more play than it is getting, so I might do some stuff to it in the future.

dub-setter, Bettyboo and Logan like this.
  8. Didds

Didds Well-Known Member

The battle of the hipshots has begun again...

9. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

Yup, sadly... I just wanted some good locking tuners that I didn't have to drill any holes into my headstock...

JimD, Raiyn and Didds like this.
  10. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

:lol: Hilarious!

Kluson shut its US doors in 1981. WD Music bought the name in 1994 and moved production to a succession of overseas factories based on the continent of Asia.
    Like your sardine can, they're die stamped.

I love how you try to twist things to gain sympathy. Where exactly did I engage in "disloyal, profane, scurrilous, or abusive language" about the United States (or any) government, its flag, or its armed forces or that caused others to view the American (or any) government or its institutions with contempt?

Klusons aren't made here, haven't been for 36 years. Hipshots are made in upstate New York.

The Hipshot Story: Born in the USA!
    Hipshot Products was founded by Dave Borisoff in 1983 in a small shop in Van Nuys, California, owned by his father (and founding partner) Bob Borisoff. Raised in LA, Dave was a natural born stringster. He taught himself - and then others - banjo at the age of 15, and at the time he founded the company, was playing Pedal Steel in the country band Red Rock Ramblers along with his late wife Kate McDonald who sang and played guitar and fiddle. Dave was only 30 years old but knew that life on the road and playing in bars was no way to raise a family. His first invention was a string bender for telecasters and similar guitars, but Gene Parsons held the trademark on the name so Kate suggested "Hipshot," named for the lever that made the whole thing work. (Later Gene, his wife Meridian, and Dave became good friends and today Hipshot Products manufactures both the Parsons String Bender and the Hipshot String Bender.)

Within a year Dave came up with another great idea, the D-tuner for bass guitar, but not knowing how it would sell, he put it on the last page of his products pamphlet. Then he met Billy Sheehan at a NAMM show and Billy loved the D-tuner and wasn't afraid to lend his name to advertise it. The rest is history... in no time the D-tuner started outselling the Hipshot and today it remains a perennial favorite among both professional and amateur players.

In the beginning, Dave was buying tuning machines from Schaller (Germany) to convert into D-tuners, but due to popular demand, Schaller couldn't supply them fast enough. So Hipshot Products began manufacturing their own bass tuners in 1985. These products were just the beginning of a whole STRING of great Hipshot Products...

In 1994 Dave moved the company to the Finger Lakes region of upstate NY where Kate had grown up. Now the father of two sons, Josh and Jason, He bought a building in Interlaken, about 20 miles North of Ithaca, NY, and purchased his first CNC. He began designing and manufacturing bass bridges for boutique companies like Tobias, Sadowsky, Lakeland, Roscoe and others (check out our links page) and grew from a small, 2-man operation to today's 25 employees.

Contracts from big companies like Peavey, Fender, Cort and Yamaha have also helped to make Hipshot a serious contender in the global marketplace. In the early days he remembers the thrill of selling 50 string benders to a Skandanavian guitar company. Today he ships parts all over the world: France, Italy, Germany, Japan, Russia, Australia. Korea and others.

Yet Hipshot is one of the last remaining companies that not only designs, but manufactures guitar hardware in the USA. The Hipshot booth is a permanent fixture each year at 5735 hall B of the Anaheim NAMM show where you can stop by and find some of the best guitarists in the land checking out Dave's latest invention. Some of his most recent include the new bearing tremolo system, the Trilogy, and the Rickenbacker replacement bridge. Despite Hipshot's success, the size and feel of the company is still "Small is Beautiful." Dave often takes time out of his busy schedule to personally answer many of his customers' questions via email or phone or meet the occasional visitor. There's more to come so STAY TUNED and if you are ever on the Finger Lakes wine trail, stumble in!
    Perish the thought of buying something produced by the original company rather than a knockoff trading on the purchased name of a defunct company.

Logan likes this.
  11. Kep

Kep Well-Known Member

I'm torn between sadness at reading the 27th bitching match between you two over stupid tuner knobs and being entertained by same. I guess what I'd say is this: You both missed an opportunity at a teachable moment. A younger player could learn a ton from either of you but no one will because of the above.

Logan if given the opportunity here's what I would say: Regardless of what you do in life don't fix things that ain't broke. I suspect that may have been what your father was trying to help you understand but either way you will save much heartache and many dollars over a lifetime if you can keep that in mind. It's up to you if that applies to the current situation.

dub-setter, plankton, Logan and 3 others like this.
  12. Bettyboo

Bettyboo Well-Known Member

I'm increasingly liking the 2013 future tribute although I might abuse it some too. It has a very nice neck, and the light nitro kinda feels like leatherette, if that makes any sense.

I'm also thinking that with the thin nitro, and my terribly messy strumming technique, a pickguard is in order. Also the knobs, they feel good, but without numbers you have to check where you are each time you pick the guitar up, no biggie, but I have some knobs ready anyways - were the silver lumps more problematic than usual to remove?

13. Bettyboo

Bettyboo Well-Known Member

Reeeet, we're done - easier than I thought; a bit stiff initially then came off smoothly.

sg knobs.JPG

In the few minutes they've been on, feel like a nice functional improvement - nice to look down and know where the limits of your volume/tone knobs are.

One of those two is gonna be converted to a P90 batwing over the next week or so, just not sure which one...

Cam.man67 likes this.
  14. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Actually, a younger player did learn because said person took the old Packard line to heart:
    [​IMG]

He decides to show others here his decision and rather than respecting that decision he is attacked like he committed some horrendously egregious act of blasphemy against the one true Gibby. That's what's sad here.l

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
  15. Biddlin

I share knowledge freely with all. I am not here to be a teacher. I am here to have a good time. I am pleased if some bit of advice is helpful or if you like my new guitar but I am not emotionally invested in any of the tech talk or guitar worship. I have a right to an opinion and to express it. If certain parties find that offensive, so be it. I have not resorted to ageist or anti-intellectual epithets. I have tried to keep my responses factually humorous in the face of blantant hostility. Certain parties may choose to continue their impertinence and self righteousness. My hands and conscience are clean and clear.
    It's only Rock n Roll.

Bettyboo and Sp8ctre like this.
  16. JimD

JimD Member

Looks like a sensible choice to me. If they keep the guitar in tune and you like them, then job done.

Logan and Raiyn like this.
  17. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

:cheers:

18. michaelinokc

michaelinokc Well-Known Member

Don't have a pic, but my Pelham Blue SG Standard has 50's wiring and Custom Buckers. I haven't modded any of my other SG's yet.

19. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

Yup. He tells that to me all the time, so I don't screw something up by fixing problems that aren't there. My intent with the Hipshots was to fix a problem that the GForce was tuning my B string up to a D (I tried recalibrating it and all that jazz) and I didn't want to drill holes to keep it original if the time came for me to sell it (even though that guitar is a keeper, I don't know what the future holds).

Raiyn likes this.
  20. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

:photos:!