Looking for a new amp.....

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by wolfzbane, Apr 24, 2005.

1. wolfzbane

wolfzbane Member

I don't know much about amps.
    I've been doing some homework though, with the aid of forums and different websites.
    My dilemma is this:
    I use a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe.
    First, I can't stand that Fender sound anymore, it's way too squeaky clean and twinkly bells for me now.
    No matter what I try, I can't get it to sound the way I want to. It lacks bottom, it's always too clear.
    Second, I only play at home, in a small room. When I record I don't even use the amp, I go directly through my V-amp 2. So, the Fender is WAY TOO LOUD. I can't even use it higher than 1.5 so what's the use?!
    -I'm looking for a small combo amp, not too loud. The 40 watts of my Fender is unusable for me.
    -I'm used to tubes so solid state amps don't really impress me much. Maybe a hybrid like the Vox AD series would be ok, would have to listen to it.
    -I don't care if it doesn't have all those amp simulations in it and effects, I usually only use the clean channel and run my effects through my board.
    -And I'm looking for a fuller sound, less twinkle, more depth. Not easy to explain but I think you get my drift.
    All the homework I've done point me towards the Vox AD30VT. Anybody know if it's a big downgrade from my Fender sound as far as quality (not taste) goes?
    There was also the Traynor Custom Valve 20WR - 15w / 12 inch / All Tube amp which seems good.
    I haven't been able to listen to any of these because they don't have them in my local music store. I will have to shopping a few towns from where I live, but would've like anyone's opinion here first.
    Maybe you have amp models I have not thought of.....

2. TNT

TNT Active Member

How about the Mesa Boogie Studio .22 ?

3. wolfzbane

wolfzbane Member

Yep, the Mesa Boogie Studio 22 seems very interesting as far as what people say about it on Harmony-Central.
    It's been discontinued for quite a while though if I understand correctly.
    I couldn't find it on the Mesa Boogie website either.
    It could be a interesting little treasure to be found in the used dept.
    Will keep an eye out.

4. CharlieB

CharlieB Active Member

There's a VibroChamp at Elderly right now. $395

5. CharlieB

CharlieB Active Member

However, they dont have much bottom either.

You might want to build up an AX84... and put a 12 on it.

6. vic108

vic108 Well-Known Member

I'm thinking about selling my MESA BOOGIE SUBWAY ROCKET.
    It rips the flesh off of sturdy bones... Wanna deal?

[​IMG]

I'll even throw in some brand new Mesa Boogie tubes with it if the price is right.

7. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

There all good suggestions so far....IMHO! :!: :twisted: What no solid state wanker options yet?

8. sgSter

sgSter Member

Many here have a Vox AD30VT and seem very happy. I've played one many times at local gc and think they're great. 'Course I found myself drifting towards the more expensive AD60 and AD120 models and then end up on the Fender '65 DRRI or Marshall 401DSL... I'd bring them all home if I could!

9. Hard2Hear

Hard2Hear Member

I'd say look at the Vox AD60. You should be able to get a used one for around the same price as you'd get for your HRD. To me, the AD60 and AD120 feel like real amps you could use in any situation, whereas the AD15/30/50 line feel more like practice amps. I have the AD120 and I just love it. And I have owned several tube amps that are all of pro touring quality. So I have a good basis of comparison.

H2H

10. skidshark

skidshark Active Member

if you're wanting more bottom end you just gotta move some air and that means more speakers. the ad30vt sounds GREAT thru 2-12's, but the 10 incher by itself might leave you wanting.

i think you'd like the power knob on the back of the vox valvetronix too as it lets you keep the sound you've dialed in at higher volume and turn it down to family room levels.

11. wolfzbane

wolfzbane Member

Thanks for lots of very interesting info so far. It's really helping.
    The Mesas mentioned above (the Studio 22 and the Subway Rocket) look, and probably sound, like real gems.
    Those are very interesting amps, which I had not really looked at twice (once I saw how much $$$ Mesa amps were I was a bit apprehensive).
    I will keep an eye out in my local region for used ones though. And will try and find more recent models (like the F Series which seems relatively equivalent to the 2 mentioned) in store and try a few.
    In the meantime, I am pretty intrigued by the Vox amps. They are very affordable, have that knob in the back where you can bring down the wattage to bedroom level and still keep the drive of the amp, and the reviews are actually pretty good. It would give me something to play on while I search for a used Mesa amp. These days I mostly play through my V-amp 2 using headphones so the cops will stop harassing me, lol.
    It's less than gratifying of course, but keeps me playing at least.
    I have a bit of time off this coming weekend..... will be touring the music stores around here.

12. paradox

paradox Active Member

I'm hear you wolfzbane, its tough getting a good sound when lower levels are required. When the better half is home I was forced to go the headphone route with my pedal board. Thank god she's at work sometimes when I'm home and I get to put everything on 10!!!

Just a couple of suggestions:
    1. Cb's idea on the Vibrochamp ain't to bad, I've got a 70's champ (thanks to cb's recommendations) that I can put my pedal board (Digitech RP7) in front of it and get some really good sounds out of it. I can even use it when the wife's home because you can keep it low and still squeeze some tone out. But keep in mind getting good low end usually means there some volume there. But the champs also great when you can just plug straight in and put in on 8 or 9!!! and its still not that loud, but sound great.
    2. If you can, try a DSL401 there's some bottom end in there, but you gotta crank it up a little there too. But now the new one's are too expensive for the amp they are, so find it used if you can.
    3. Listen to ess's recordings on the jam threads, his vox sounds great, and you could see if it fits your style.

13. 68GibsonSG

68GibsonSG Member

wolf, i'd go with a solid state if i was you......

14. wolfzbane

wolfzbane Member

Well, the choices in store were less than gratifying, but they did have the Vox AD60VT.
    I found it remarkably warm for a hybrid amp, but wasn't sure about that kinda commitment... $800.00 Canadian (that's about $640.00 U$ at today's rate).
    That's what I paid for my Fender Hot Rod, and it's an all tube amp.... the Vox is only pre-amp tubed.
    Anyway.....
    They did not have the AD30VT in stock but a few are expected to come in soon.
    So I decided to reserve one for myself, based on what I've heard of the 60.
    The 30 was reasonably priced at $300.00 ($240.00 U$).
    I'll update this post when I finally get it and have had a few hours of fun with it.

15. skidshark

skidshark Active Member

16. Sgmaniac

Sgmaniac Guest

That little Vox kicks butt! I love mine very very much!!! :lol: 8)

17. 68GibsonSG

68GibsonSG Member

it does have nice effects, but i wouldnt buy a vox, just buy a solid-state they are the best amps ever

18. skidshark

skidshark Active Member

the vox is fantastic. i use it every day! i have my solid state amp loaned to a friend (until he decides which tube amp he wants....