Looking for new SG players to listen

Discussion in 'General Music' started by DiegoSG, Jul 4, 2018.

1. DiegoSG

DiegoSG New Member

I want to listen some SG players, who you recommend me ? Not all the players we all known (Angus, etc), different styles, only if you consider is good to listen, i would like to listen some blues or more modern music (just not metal please), and jazz also, and anything.

Any names ?

Lunacy the Faded likes this.
  2. Layne Matz

Layne Matz Active Member

Ever listened to the Doors much?

Lunacy the Faded and ypnos like this.
  3. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

>The Who, from sixties and '70s... Pete Townshend played some of his best music on
    an SG with P-90 pickups.

>Blue Oyster Cult from the '70s...

>Doors from the Sixties...

>Allman Bros mostly played Les Pauls, but Greg played slide on an SG (Early Allman Bros.)

>Cream, from the Sixties. Clapton played some of his best music on an SG with this band.

>Frank Zappa, throughout his solo career played some of the most interesting and innovative
    music... Zappa defies being classified in any genre. He is in his own category.

>Samantha Fish, one of my favorite women rockers, plays an SG as well as a Telecaster and a
    guitar made out of a Kerosene can. She will rock yer sox off, and she's not an antique like
    me or some of these others I mentioned.

Lunacy the Faded likes this.
  4. Col Mustard

yes'n let's have a whole thread dedicated to Derek Trucks...
    he is a tremendous talent, plays a lot of blues, finger style with
    slide, and if you've never heard of him, it's time you did.

5. Col Mustard

speaking of women rockers: Let's not forget Alabama Shakes

6. Corporal Scratchy

Corporal Scratchy Member

Col Mustard has got this off to a very good start with his listings of prominent SG players. There is a long running thread here:

http://www.everythingsg.com/threads/artist-you-most-associate-with-the-sg.29676/

You might have already seen it but if not, it’s well worth checking out these well known and sometimes less well known ambassadors for the SG. Over 160 posts; that should keep you busy for a while! :smile:

A lot of the SG players mentioned are Blues/Rock/Metal merchants. Although I grew up with and still enjoy music from these genres, my main interest is music from the US Alternative/College Rock and UK Indie scenes, and in particular where bands place the emphasis on song writing, arrangements and putting melodies out front. Some of us called it Power Pop. These bands enjoyed a boom period through the 1990s to the early 2000s. Some are still going strong but in recent years the scene (certainly in the UK) has faded somewhat.

I will detail a number of bands and players in separate posts here, explain why I think they’re worth a listen, tell some trivial (but maybe interesting) information and embed YouTube clips to enable people to go explore.

I have seen every band listed play live here in the UK on several occasions over the years. When I saw them they were all using SGs though this might not be the case in some of the video clips and also I can’t guarantee SGs were used in the original recordings. I don’t think many of the players I will list have been mentioned on ETSG, so I hope forum members will find new stuff to listen to and hopefully like.

7. Corporal Scratchy

Corporal Scratchy Member

In no particular order then, first up are THE POSIES from Washington USA and a track from their album “Frosting on the Beater” which, IMHO, is one of the best power pop albums ever. Great songs featuring top musicianship. The song is “Love Letter Boxes”. Based on a minor chord progression, the rhythm guitars on the off-beat and it’s all topped off with a scorching, off the wall lead solo, played by Jon Auer on a heavily compressed SG ’61 or ’62 Standard.

(To be continued)

8. Corporal Scratchy

Corporal Scratchy Member

Next up is PETE YORN. More brilliance from the USA. The song is “For Nancy (‘Cos It Already Is)” from his first album, “Music for the Morning After”. This came out in 2001, which was when I saw him play in London. He was using a walnut finish Norlin era SG Standard. He explained that he’d bought the SG used. It had a repaired neck break which the vendor told him was the result of the guitar being in a road accident. It had the name “Nancy” scratched on the back and he was given to believe this was the previous owner. He got to wondering what might have happened to her, did she survive the accident and so on and he ended up naming the song in her honour. Since then, this tale has continued to do the rounds but I noticed on Wikipedia today that now the guitar mentioned is a Les Paul.

Oh well…. Good story anyway.

There are no widdly-widdly solos on this or the rest of the album; simply the judicious use of Gibson-driven power chords to give light and shade to a collection of superbly written songs.

(To be continued)

9. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Greta Van Fleet

10. Corporal Scratchy

Corporal Scratchy Member

For our next under the radar SG-slingers let’s look at THE DAMNED who emerged here in the UK in 1976 as part of the then emerging British Punk Movement. At this time I was a spotty teenager, incapable of securing a girlfriend but learning the guitar in the forlorn hope that the latter might help me with the former. It didn’t. But by now I knew enough about SGs to recognise that guitarist Tony James was wielding a 1963-66 period Standard and oh lord, how I wanted one!

The song is “New Rose” and this energetic slice of Gibson SG crunch was the UK punk scenes first record release. We were told by our music press that none of the punk bands could play more than a couple of chords, that the whole movement was being driven by amateurs starting from nothing, making it up as they went along. This may have been true of some of the bands but not for THE DAMNED, as this 45 single quickly confirmed.

By 1979, the band had broken up and then reformed minus Tony James and his vintage SG. We heard that the bass player, Captain Sensible, was going to take over guitar duties, with a newly recruited bassist in place. How would this turn out, we wondered? They released the album “Machine Gun Etiquette” and we found to our delight that they had spread their musical wings; “Smash It Up: Parts 1 & 2” was a revelation! And the Captain’s guitar of choice was, yes, another vintage SG, this time a batwing pickguard standard from the 1967-69 era. The song was a jump forward for the band but sadly the BBC banned it, because they said the lyrics might encourage listeners into acts of violence! It probably won’t interest you to know that also by this time I’d acquired a girlfriend and my first SG and some of the spots had gone.

(To be continued)*

* Actually no; This won't be continued as I'm finding it too time consuming! Cheers! ;)

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
  11. Bad Penguin

Bad Penguin Active Member

Mike Oldfield. LOVES the SG JR.

12. sazista

sazista Active Member

Fugazi, Alice Cooper (the 2 guitarists played SG customs and the basist played an SG from time to time).

13. JCarno

JCarno Active Member

Santana (Woodstock)!!

Logan and Lunacy the Faded like this.
  14. Sp8ctre

Sp8ctre Well-Known Member

Gary Clark Jr. is playing an SG now...three single coils too!

15. Westernrider

Westernrider Active Member

very under the radar:
    Bad Finger - very underrated band with some smooth songs
    George Harrison - yep he played a SG a couple of times

Corporal Scratchy likes this.
  16. Layne Matz

Layne Matz Active Member

17. Corporal Scratchy

Corporal Scratchy Member

Good call. Furthermore, same SG! The one in question was a 1964 Standard accquired by George Harrison in 1966 and used in several later Beatles recordings. Badfinger were close to the Beatles, being signed to Apple and both Paul McCartney and George H. produced tracks by them. In 1969 George gifted the SG to Pete Ham who then used it extensively until his death in 1974 after which it was kept by Hams' brother. It was sold by auction in 2004 to an annonymous buyer for..... US $567,500

Westernrider likes this.
  18. flatrockmobile

flatrockmobile Active Member

Not new by any means. I saw this same line up when I was 14 years old and was floored

jojo68 likes this.
  19. Lunacy the Faded

Lunacy the Faded Active Member

I loved seeing him and his wife play, they had some great opening acts too, they did a 20 minute encore... tedeschi trucks band... cold beer great guitar work and some soul singers... really great time..

Metal was born on the SG, Black Sabbath

Here's a new school guy nobody knows Tom Erak

20. Westernrider

Westernrider Active Member

Digging around in ancient history again. The following band Slade along with Grand Funk Railroad were a couple of my guilty pleasures. Look into the catalog of Slade and you'll find a couple of their songs that others have covered.

And I have to mention Brownsville Station. No, I don't know of them ever using SG's on stage.

I’m a Rocker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9HZXcix_tI&list=RD11zFBGiYGH0&index=18

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZpMl8qF73s&list=RD11zFBGiYGH0&index=27

and Brownsville Station - and again, Forgive me. No SG’s. Just started wandering around youtube and taking a s trip back in time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-f4xLyfkTQ

they are from Michigan and do you remember Smoking in the Boys room …..

Here is the writer – Cub Coda. Was working south of Jackson Michigan when he died. Was able to pick up rock stations from three cities and all of them had tributes to him. We lost a local musical legend that day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLLICpVwXuA