Looking for new SG players to listen

Discussion in 'General Music' started by DiegoSG, Jul 4, 2018.

1. DangerousD

DangerousD New Member

Patterson Hood and Jay Gonzales of Drive-By Truckers.

GrumpyOldDBA and Lynurd Fireburd like this.
  2. Lynurd Fireburd

Lynurd Fireburd Active Member

Exactly who I'd been meaning to add.

...& from Isbell's band, Sadler Vaden can be seen regularly playing his burst SG.

Budgie.

3. sazista

sazista Active Member

Pure SG; DOA 1983

4. sazista

sazista Active Member

Aqui con 2 SGs

5. Girl_Rock

Girl_Rock Member

If you like listening to AC/DC’s singer Brian Johnson, he had a band before this, Geordie, they were glam rock. They had an SG player for some years only, Micky Bennison. I personally prefer their original guitarist Vic Malcolm and his Teles and Stratos.

Here a video:

But, there are a lot of famous SG players, has someone mentioned Rolling Stone’s and Beatles’ guitarists/bass player? Keith Richards and Mick Taylor of Stones and George Harrison and John Lennon of Beatles.
    Here the photos:
    Keith_Richards_and_Mick_Taylor_SGs.png
    John_Lennon_and_George_Harrison.png

Corporal Scratchy likes this.
  6. Corporal Scratchy

Corporal Scratchy Member

Good heavens! Geordie! That takes me back to my youth!

Nice picture of George Harrison with his ’64 Standard. This is the guitar I mentioned previously in this thread; the one he gifted to Pete Ham of Badfinger and which sold at auction for in excess of half a million dollars. I like the way George wears the guitar up high, in the 1960’s beat group style!

I’d not seen Keef Richards playing an SG, nor Bill Wyman with his EB/SG bass. Mick Taylor, who joined the Stones in 1969, was a frequent Gibson user. His SG Standard was featured on the album cover for the “Get Your Ya Yas Out” live album. Here is an outtake photo featuring Charlie Watts, a donkey, some drums and said SG:

ya yas 1.jpg

Here is Mick Taylor, playing his first ever show with the Stones in London Hyde Park:

ya yas 3.jpg

That SG looks so cool and from seeing this in my early teenage years, I always wanted an SG with a Bigsby. So a couple of years ago when I got my ’61 RI, that is what I fitted:

2016 04 23_1596.jpg

I wonder what happened to Mick Taylors SG? Also, what kind of daft price might it go for if auctioned now?

Finally, in the course of my “research” today, I came across a YouTube clip of the Hyde Park concert. Initially I was not going to post it. However, I changed my mind; in addition to The Stones, you get enthusiastic African drummers, a half-hearted stage invasion and Hells Angels doing a daft dance. What’s not to like?

Girl_Rock likes this.
  7. GrumpyOldDBA

GrumpyOldDBA Well-Known Member

i'm a big fan of drive by truckers but didn't know ( some/all ? ) of those sounds are from SGs! Woo hoo!

8. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

My user name here is NMA. It stands for New Model Army -- the best unknown band that ever existed.

New Model Army have neen around since the '80s and are still making great music. Thirty-five years! For all that time, the frontman only used SGs. They are one of my favorite bands and because of them I had to own an SG.

[​IMG]

Not a typical SG sound, but it serves the song:

9. flatrockmobile

flatrockmobile Well-Known Member

10. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Active Member

Wasn't Baby Snakes a luthier-built SG copy? Or did Frank play actual SGs too?

Loves me some Zappa, no matter what guitar he's playing.