Looking into buying a Mesa Boogie Road King head...

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by MisterSG, May 1, 2005.

1. MisterSG

MisterSG Member

Anyone have experience with the Mesa Boogie Road King head? It's touted as M-B's flagship amp... It's a duel rectifier with 4 channels and I believe 11 tubes (fan cooled). You can read about it at http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Rectifier_Series/roadking/roadking.htm

They cost about $2500 new. Anyone have one or have an opinion regarding this amp? I'm thinking about teaming it up with a pair of EVMs in a M-B vertical slant recto cab or two 1-12 cabs that I built from EV plans (sounds awesome). There isn't one in my neck of the woods to check out...

2. MisterSG

MisterSG Member

Well, since it's been a few days and nobody has responded to my post :cry: I guess I'll just have to pretend to be someone else and post my own reply :lol:

Hey there MisterSG. I think you are a total genius for considering the purchase of a Road King all tube amp! Indeed, the Road King redefines the genre. Perhaps it will usher in a new era!

The Road King has four independently controllable channels that each house an incredible three modes of pre-amp expression. It's like having a fleet of amps that aren't cyber mock-ups, but actually re-create all those old circuits that guitarists love. You can assign different power amplifiers to each pre-amp channel …and footswitch between them. You can also match any power amp and pre-amp channel and select from as low as 30 watts to as much as 120 watts and assign a choice of speaker cabs per channel! Or run separate channels to individual speakers in the same cab if it's wired stereo. It's eleven fan-cooled tubes power 4 fully independent channels with 12 Modes (Channel 1=Clean, Fat or Tweed; Channel 2= Clean, Fat or Brit; Channels 3 & 4=Raw, Vintage High Gain or Modern High Gain) Rock on MisterSG! The Road King rocks! :wink:

3. TNT

TNT Active Member

I guess I can't outdo that last post from the knowledgeable member :D but all I can say is is this ; Mesa Boogie don't make no crap!

4. 68GibsonSG

68GibsonSG Member

i agree with tnt, but is it possible for you to buy a solid state amp?, thats what u should get

5. TNT

TNT Active Member

I just wish that there was a Mesa Boogie rep on here that could answer that one for you 68GSG!

If you went to the Dealer to buy a new Corvette and the salesman showed you a Opel GT, wouldn't you be offended?

6. skidshark

skidshark Active Member

68, the man isn't torn between tube and solid state....he knows what he wants. thank goodness he knows the difference between a corvette and an opel is all i can say!

do you know as much about amps as you do truss rod adjustment?? :wink:

7. MisterSG

MisterSG Member

On the beaches of California they say, “Solid state? Like, totally groedy dude!”

And in the valley, they say, “Solid state? Like, gag me with a spoon! That is so NOT cool”

In Jamaica they say, “Solid state, mahn!?” Have you been smokin’ the ganja mahn!?”

And in Rome they say, “Solid state!? Blasphemes heretics! Thy shalt haveth thine tongue cutteth out!”

And back here in Michigan, they say, “Solid state? WTF? You have GOT to be f**kn’ SH*TIN’ me!”

8. skidshark

skidshark Active Member

HA! yet another evil plan foiled by a cunning linguist who also knows how to use his ears!!!

BWAAAAHAAhahahaahewhhehehehhee :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: