Lost in Pro Tools

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by dbb, Aug 9, 2012.

1. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Hi SG fans,

I've been really happy that the board seems to have a lot more activity than a few months past - but i've been so lost in my new Pro Tools 10 studio, getting to know what I have and all the sounds, virtual instruments, plug-ins and such, that I have not been able to even read all the new posts.

But - I really dig the new DAWS. Plus I've been finding a few free virtual guitar rigs, and having fun with all the sound options.

Any other Pro Tool users on this board?

2. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

You really have to seriously study the manual till it becomes second nature.....while the pulltech and especially the fairlight compressors make yer recordings sound like gold ...but there both pricy " plugins " thou worth the sonic gains!

3. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tip - and I've been reading the manual. I also found out a lot of stuff about the virtual instruments that are not in the manual. Plus there's a lot of free stuff too, some of which is actually useful!

Other than that it looks like it's going OK.

4. woodrow886

woodrow886 New Member

Hi DBB

I found the PT9 manual to be quite uninspiring due to not being engaged with the process of doing a project while learning. Guess I'm just one of these experiential learners who forget a lot of the book ground I cover.

What I do recommend for anyone wishing to learn some useful elements of Pro Tools and Mixing/Production is several of the Groove 3 training videos. Their videos are still half price today.

There's a PT10 video ($19.99), which I guess will be useful as a reference. It's quite handy but you may prefer your manual to it. I watched it once and forgot half of it.

What I do recommend are the Mixing Rock ($24.99) and Producing Pop ($12.50) Videos. Not sure if the sale goes into December.

I'd recommend the 3 of them but pop one's definitely worth $12.50 for how to automate stuff, use aux sends and busses and create effects and use eq in general. Some 3rd party plugins are used but the principals are universal.

W.

5. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

I've gotten to be pretty up to speed with PT10 and Sibelius 7, but honestly the Official course manual left a lot to be desired, Sweetwater's free 6 weeks of videos helped, and looking at a lot of youtube how-to's and reading articles have helped.

Why can't these guys write a good manual that actually covers basic stuff.

And don't even get me started on the Avid compatibility between PT10 and Sibelius - it could work WAY better as a unit, Re-wire notwithstanding.

They asked me a couple surveys - I let 'em have it on that one.

6. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tips - but I can do all of those tricks, and have even gotten a bunch of 3rd party RTAS and AAx stuff too.

I still have a lot to learn about Elastic Audio and Beat Detective.

I'm pretty good on MIDI writing, scoring, virtual instruments, and plain old audio.

My latest thing is use Audiosuite to process tracks so that I can save real-time CPU power.

Still, I'll look into any material that can aid me.

7. woodrow886

woodrow886 New Member

In that case, the two production videos I mentioned may only learn you general stuff you may already know.

Groove3 have Beat Detective and Elastic Audio videos too. Fairly cheap too and 2hrs per video.

8. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

That may help!

9. sgtbeefheart

sgtbeefheart Well-Known Member

For anyone new to home recording, I would recommend this,
    especially at this price,

Making Waves Software

10. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

I've tried three different computer based recording setups now and guess it is just not for me because I cou;dnt get any of them to do much for me. You know what they say about old dogs...

11. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

A great free program is Pro Sonus Studio One Free.

Studio One Free « Studio One

[​IMG]

I have it on my backup computer - its not quite ProTools but is very good and it's FREE.

BlackSG91 likes this.
  12. Greg Connor

Greg Connor Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan of ProTools. I used ProTools 7 for years. I called their help desk a few times, and I never got an answer on anything.

One day the prgram stopped working. I recorded a song and published it only two days before, and now nothing worked. I couldn't even open the program.

Between loosing my $500 investment, and getting no response at all from their advertised customer support, I went looking for plan B.

My current setup is nowhere near as sophisticated, but it always works and it's intuitive, so I can always accomplish my objective.

Just say "NO" to ProTools
    .​

13. JohnP

JohnP Member

Sorry to hear that Greg. I use ProTools and I'm very pleased with it. I haven't had any reasons to call their support though. The documentation and training videos have been really useful for me.

14. Matt Rayner

Matt Rayner Member

Funny how much more fun I had with a 4-track than limitless crap.
    There's no end to it, is there?
    Now I can do this, but only if I had a new pair of Genelecs.
    Damn, this room has terrible acoustics.
    ****. This mic is rubbish.
    What's wrong with these headphones?
    IF ONLY THE VOICES WOULD STOP

15. Greg Connor

Greg Connor Well-Known Member

Yes, it's a sad story. I used Protools quite a bit, and I was getting great results most of the time. It was a challenge to use because of the sophistication of the program, but, I usually was able to push through that.

It was the complacency that the people at ProTools showed, and then the sudden death of the program that got to me. My music store thought that a new program for $300 would solve my problem. I wasn't going to spend any more money on those people.

I'm glad your experience has been better. I love the recording process. I only wish my experience with ProTools had been better.

16. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Now Avid makes you pay for customer support - but at least they helped.

Pro Tools 10 seems very stable so far.

17. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

18. Matt Rayner

Matt Rayner Member

19. Matt Rayner

Matt Rayner Member

:applause::applause:Good luck with all that stuff.
    Personally, I think you should just retire.

Do you really think ProTools will make you any better?

20. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

I am not certain how to answer this....if you mean just having Pro tools itself makes me "better", no.

But I can produce better sounding music with it than on other systems I worked with.

As for the "retire" part, uh, with all due respect, what's does that mean? you don't like my orchestral music, fine....but if you do, what's the harm in saying so?