Love forums to hear opinions!!

Discussion in 'Epiphone SG' started by Ben DeBumper, Feb 25, 2020.

1. Ben DeBumper

Ben DeBumper New Member

Okay so I think I am going to go forward with the SG and get some work done, though I am really a keyboard player. I don't like the feel of the outside edges of the frets on the thumb side. I want to get them buffed down. I also need to have the nut either cleaned up, have graphite added, or just get it replaced, because I have some fret buzz from the 1st to the 5th fret. And while I am in upgrade mode, I may as well put new tuning machines on it. And that's what I want to hear suggestions about. I like Hipshot tuning machines, but I am sure there are other good ones out there. What suggestions might I hear from anybody who has swapped out the tuning machines on their SG? They would run me $50. Also, I did read my pots and they are 500k, but are their differences in quality of 500k pots? Would you suggest Gibson OEMs? For what pots cost I may as well have brand new ones put in while my guitar guy has the guitar anyway. Maybe even a better switch.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
  2. Bubbalou88

Bubbalou88 Member

If your pots are not noisy and work properly when turning them with plugged into amp there is no need to replace them.
    Which tuners are on your SG now? Are they the Vintage style with Plastic tuning knobs or do they have chrome/nickel knobs?

For mine with the vintage style tuning keys I replaced them with Kluson Revolution 19:1 like these. They come in Chrome, Nickel, Gold and Black. I used Chrome to match my hardware.
    These were and exact fit for my 2016 SG Standard.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kluson-Revolution-Locking-Tuners-3x3-Pearloid-keystone-button-KRGL-3-CP-Chrome/253336423118?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

3. Ben DeBumper

Ben DeBumper New Member

The volume pot is smooth. The tone pot cuts out when you get to 10. And as long as I have one replaced I may as well get both done so they are both the same age. The tuners have chrome knobs. Judging by the rest of the guitar I would say that those tuners were what it came with. I am not so deep into this stuff that I know every brand of tuner out there, but besides Gibson standard, Hipshot and Grover are the two I really know about. And now I know about Kluson! Got to read some reviews.

4. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Active Member

CTS pots have better respons than Alpha so I'd recommend you go for those. However, after changing pots in all my guitars I noticed that I never ever use them, so yeah, there's that...