Ltd Ed Tony Iommi Signature SG Custom Production Run Questions

Discussion in 'Epiphone SG' started by WytchCrypt, Mar 24, 2020.

1. dub-setter

dub-setter Well-Known Member

2. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

Very good, awesome, killer SG ....

Image temp 4940.jpg

3. dub-setter

dub-setter Well-Known Member

4. hdvades

hdvades New Member

I had what considered the second run of the Epi TI SG from '15. The first run had smaller crosses. Anyways I can tell you although they were advertised as "only 2000 to be made"...well they made a boatload more than 2000. And because of that I unloaded it and bought a '16 Gibson SG Faded T. They were well made and did/do have great pup's.

5. Roger1079

Roger1079 New Member

Any particular reason you hijack someone else's thread and then reply to yourself when you realize nobody is paying any attention to your attempt to dump on someone else for not spending thousands of dollars more to have the guitar say "Gibson" on the headstock?

Demon Dave and WytchCrypt like this.
  6. papagayo

What' s wrong with the Gibson SG ?

LOL :rofl::rofl::rofl:

7. Bert Scrogshaw

Bert Scrogshaw Member

Welcome to the board matey. I have an Epi SG which I love to bits....but the more I see and hear about the Iommi signature version the more I want one. I reckon that it must be great to play Sabbath stuff on that guitar. How does it play and sound with other playing styles? Or is it purely for heavy metal heads?

Grizzlyman and WytchCrypt like this.
  8. WytchCrypt

WytchCrypt Member

Thanks! I've played an Epi LP Custom since 2012 but have always wanted an Iommi signature model of some kind for years. When I read a couple weeks ago about Gibson releasing a signature model of his original red SG (aka The Monkey) I was thinking about it...until I saw the price! A couple UK guitar shops were offering pre-orders with a final sale price of $20,000+. I don't know if that's really the sale price or just a super inflated pre-order game? Anyway, as usual Gibson priced themselves out of anything that I would ever consider paying! But it got me thinking and after some searching I found the Epi Iommi Ltd Ed SG and pulled the trigger a couple weeks ago.

I love it! Epi did a great job on their part (except the tuning pegs which I hated and immediately replaced) and including the Iommi Gibson PU's was a great plan. The beauty of the pickups is they're so hot that even my super light gauge setup (42-32-22w-12-9-9) downtuned to C# has plenty of gain. With it downtuned so low, this is my new doom metal machine. It sounds much better than when I downtuned my Epi LP Custom for doom metal...probably a combination of the PU's and the wood or something.

As far as using it for other styles, I'm not a very good person to answer that because:

1) I bought it to play Sabbath songs and downtuned doom metal and that's all I've done so far...
    2) I don't plug it straight into an amp but use a Line6 PodXTLive so that colors the sound...

Maybe someone else on this thread can comment on how this SG doom machine performs in other styles straight into an amp?

Demon Dave and Bert Scrogshaw like this.
  9. Bert Scrogshaw

Bert Scrogshaw Member

I feel a bit silly now asking what other styles can be played on a Tony Iommi spec guitar. It's going to be Sabbath/heavy metal/doom metal stuff. Apologies from this daft old Jock. (Jock as in Scotsman....not in sportsman, lol).

Demon Dave and WytchCrypt like this.
  10. WytchCrypt

WytchCrypt Member

Never knew "Jock" meant a Scotsman! In that case, from one fellow Jock to another, Slainte Mhath :cheers:

Bert Scrogshaw likes this.
  11. Worblehat

Worblehat Well-Known Member

My Iommi SG has been my only guitar for two whole years and I played a lot of different stuff on it. It worked pretty well. This guitar can cover a lot of grounds. I really like the clean sounds, too. But be aware that the pickups are very hot (~16k). They definitely sound different from other Gibson humbuckers. A bit darker...but not muddy at all. Hard to describe. I love them!

12. purple dragon

purple dragon Member

Mr please my modded epis will smoke this one and that not counting my epi ti custom with gibson us pickups.

13. purple dragon

purple dragon Member

I think most styles can be play with them its just a matter of adjusting you amp and setting and not just plug and play on the same settings AS a lot off people do.around 10-15 years ago a lot off jazz players did buy the ti pickup so i will say its not only fore hige gain people.a same exemple can be said about emg.back In the day emg was made to jazz players and a lot did use them In the late 70 early 80 but Ask people about emg to day and most will say they are just fore metal bands and are hige gain pickups.so if you want to try something new i will say try them.they may not be your cup off tea but again you never know if you dont try.

Bert Scrogshaw and Worblehat like this.
  14. purple dragon

purple dragon Member

Woued be fun if all that got one did show them and tell whene its made and prodnr they got.i think they orginaly did only make 2000 but the sales and demand was so hige that they did keep making them and will do till the sales drop.
    From wath i can see they still sell a good amound so i woued guess they will still make them.
    Mine is made on august 2015 and is 149 made.

WytchCrypt likes this.
  15. WytchCrypt

WytchCrypt Member

That's very cool! As I mentioned earlier in the thread mine was finished August 2019 and appears to be build number 30,652. On the one hand, it would be very cool to have one of a truly limited edition of 2,000...on the other, if they'd stopped at 2,000 I wouldn't have been able to just buy one ;)

Just for fun I had a look at Sweetwater and they're out of stock on the right handed ones, but say more are on the way and they're taking orders so apparently Epi are still building more. I clicked the left handed version and they have those in stock and something called "Guitar Gallery" appeared on the page saying this specific guitars serial # is 19061539662. Looks like that makes it a June 2019 build at the Qingdao factory just like mine, but build number 39,662! Looks like this limited edition of 2,000 is about to hit 40,000!!!

I guess no one at Epi expected this many people to want Tony's SG :dude:

For some reason, the Sweetwater page still says, "Production quantities limited to 2,000 guitars worldwide". You'd think they'd stop saying that as it's so obviously not true anymore :facepalm:

16. WytchCrypt

WytchCrypt Member

Just an interesting update to the availability - or I should say "non availability" of these brand new. All the normal US outlets like Sweetwater, Musicians Friend, Sam Ash (where I got mine), Guitar Center, etc are out of stock. There are a couple new ones on reverb.com from European dealers - the one in Sweden is asking $1,299! All the US dealers say "more on the way soon" and are still pre-selling but I wonder if Epi is done building these?
    Either way, looks like I got one of the last new ones available in the US :dude:

17. papagayo

Yesssss ... Of course ...

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Temp 4240.jpg

18. purple dragon

purple dragon Member

Yes the 2000 prodnr did jump out the window.i think this model did sell more than epi was thinking it woued and it woued be stupid to stop making them.tho some will be mad they are.

since i got a early/first batch made one i have been thinking that i want to collect one from ever year they did make them.i also am thinking to refinish one In red.

Oh boy 40000 is a lot compaird to 2000,I did not Know they have made so maney.

i was thinking about making a John birch and jaydee copy but with so maney made i am wondering if i shoued just Get two used epis and use AS a modding plattform to make them.and save myself a lot off work without feeling sorry that it is two less In the world.

I have been watching sweetwater and a uk store and thonmann and they all Get restock.both the uk store and thonman did Get new stock 3-4 weeks ago and are sold out and is saying more on way etc.and thats has happen a lot the last year while i have been looking on online stores to see when they sell out and Get a restock.so they are still selling well.

i dont think they stop making them yet but since its a older model and i think the epi 2020 line sells well they have push back the ti and the 2020 Get priorerty first to meet the demand.but i can be wrong it will be fun to see if they keep making them and also will they change to the new headstock on the ones made In 2020??

WytchCrypt likes this.
  19. papagayo

A Gibson SG Special or SG Standard loaded with a set of Iommi pickups is very good option, not very expensive.

The best choice for a long time.

20. WytchCrypt

WytchCrypt Member

Very true - that's assuming our serial number translator is correct with #19061539662 meaning a "Ranking Number" of 39,662 and "Ranking Number" meaning number of units built :wow:

Well, we'll know for sure if Sweetwater, Musicians Friend & Sam Ash get restocked and open up the floodgates again ;)

Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
    Demon Dave likes this.