Made a breakthrough today.

Discussion in 'Lessons & Techniques' started by Karathas, Nov 6, 2015.

1. Karathas

Karathas Well-Known Member

I practice alot. Lately it seems like I haven't been getting any better in my playing. Then today something sort of weird happened. All of a sudden I was varying my attack. Where usually I would hit the string with the same power, now I was hitting the strings lighter, and harder. What a huge difference it made! It even seemed to help with my string muting. Everything sounded way better

A few of you are probably thinking that it's an obvious thing. Not to me though. I feel like my playing changed, and for the better.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2015
  2. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

You've discovered dynamics and articulation! Now you can play louder, softer etc. to suit the music. It also gives you more control, which helped with the muting and such.

Great!

Karathas likes this.
  3. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

And some pickups, like P90s, respond better than other to pick attack.

4. RVA

RVA Well-Known Member

You just thought you were not getting better, while all along your fingers were learning. Congrats - it is a great feeling to make a breakthrough!

peejaybee and Karathas like this.
  5. frankd

frankd Well-Known Member

That's great ! I been feeling the same I mean I been learning new songs etc but feeling my lead and overall technique was not Improving . I been sick with some god awful flu stuff so I been bs on here more than
    practicing but tonight feeling as bad as I do I just slowed it down and kinda concentrated on a classic lead riff going over and over it seems to have worked.

RVA and Karathas like this.