Madeira A-2 acoustic refinish: practice for SG refinish

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by sazista, Feb 26, 2020.

1. sazista

sazista Active Member

Hi y'all.
    I want to stain and refinish my old Madeira A2 acoustic that I have had since the 90s. Supposedly they were Martin copies, and some were quite good. This one is probably from the 70s/80s, Japan or Korea. I have always liked playing it and find its size very comfortable. Because i am unhappy with it's lack of volume and strange sounding 6th string (sounds like a 1960s Hohner bass without an amp), I have decided to make some changes. I noticed the wood was varnished quite dark on the sides and back. I read that some models had laminated sides. I decided to sand it down and reveal its secrets. Anybody know what that is, other than a discolored back piece that they covered up with dark lacquer? It does show grain marks, and it's very smooth: reminds me of one of the layers of a skateboard. I would love to have this guitar be a GREAT guitar. Not sure if it's my imagination, but it 'seems' to be a bit brighter after removing the finish (as in the pics) It has no fingerboard, but rather a painted neck. I'd to stain the body lightly, like Cherry SG color or even a plum purple. Not sure what to do about the neck. Maybe someone can put a fingerboard on it. Any ideas on how to stain, seal and finish it without changing the tone as much as it had with all the thick stuff on it? This will be my testing playground for my SG that I want to stain Green.
    Also, if anyone knows about this model, please chime in. The internet has few mentions of it.

Attached Files:

2. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Active Member

Listen, the finish will have absolutely no effect whatever on the tone of a guitar. Stuff like that belongs in the woodoo zone of guitar forums. Go ahead and do what you think looks good. Doesn't one use like shellac on an acoustic btw?

3. sazista

sazista Active Member

Well, it finishes definitely do affect the sound board of Turkish and Arabic ouds as well as baglamas; therefore my conclusion is that it should also be that way with guitars. That is why 98% of ouds are unfinished. The ones with a finish are dead sounding, encased in poly..whatever. Anyhow, shellac is what i hear they use on acoustics. Thanks for your response anyhow. I'm learning.

4. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Active Member

Right, well, perhaps that's the case with acoustics but I meant the SG, sorry, I realize I was a bit unclear.

5. sazista

sazista Active Member

The wood looks so bland, but I think I can give it some better grain coloring somehow. I don't want to invest too much in this thing, but I like it so much for its feel.