Maestro Vibrola springs and things ...

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by lento, Mar 26, 2019.

1. lento

lento New Member

Hello, a new member here and would like to ask and share some opinions on the vibrola.

I recently bought a 2001 '61 reissue that had a really awful vibrola on it. It would not play at all due to the spring sitting horizontal to the guitar so the arm was virtually resting on the body and unplayable.
    I asked a couple of local luthiers about getting the arm or spring bent to remedy this but they didn't advise it.

So, looking on Gibson's website I saw a contact email for their local service dept and explained what was wrong, hoping that they might be able to get me a replacement spring. No joy there but one of their luthiers put me onto the people who make them for Gibson.

Contacting them through email (I'm in the UK) they told me they had dealt with quite a few people who had similar problems with this era of vibrolas and advised me I would have to get a complete unit with an 18 degree angled spring, but they didn't sell them separately.
    Due to the overseas shipping and tax involved it worked out to be too expensive so thought to look around ....
    I came across Crazyparts (German company) who sell complete and individual bits for the various vibrolas as well ! This is what I needed to find !
    Alas, they could not sell the spring unit separately either so I had to buy the complete unit. but at least it came in somewhat cheaper than had I done so from the US.

The arm sits a little higher than I would have liked but have to say I'm very pleased with it except for one thing; the spring itself is very tight and stiff, you have to use quite a lot of pressure to get even a slight wobble.
    Anyone have any thoughts on this, or any suggestions apart from 'keep playing it' :D

2. Layne Matz

Layne Matz Well-Known Member

I cant say I have any advice but Im wondering two things. By spring do you mean the folded springing metal? I think its called a leaf or something...
    Are you by chance selling your previous Vibrola, the non functioning one?

3. GrumpyOldDBA

GrumpyOldDBA Well-Known Member

How about some pictures please?

Layne Matz likes this.
  4. njpaulc

njpaulc Active Member

It's been along time since I had mine on my SG (no it's not for sale) but I do remember it being "firm". I believe too loose would make it impossible to stay in tune.

5. lento

lento New Member

Yes, the folded spring thing !

I may well sell the old one or parts of it ... if you're interested drop me a message perhaps ?

Layne Matz likes this.
  6. lento

lento New Member

The original one .....

Attached Files:

7. lento

lento New Member

Here's the new one ....

Attached Files: