Maybe a dumb question but I need to ask

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Antvesh, Apr 30, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Antvesh

Antvesh New Member

Hello,

First let me apologize for the potentially long message. I hope you are all safe and well during this worldwide pandemic. I'm new here but have been an sg lover my entire life. When I started playing in 7th grade I tried to learn the entirety of the AC/DC catalogue (stereotypical, I know) because Angus is my guitar playing hero. His vibrato technique is the best for me. However, this is slightly not relevant to my actual question.

It's come time to buy my first Gibson SG. I have not bought one in my 29 years alive for a variety of reasons, but now seems to finally be the right moment.

Looking through the current 2020 Gibson catalogue with my eyes originally on a full-fat sg, I came across the USA SG Jr. One dog ear p-90 (my favorite pickup type), one volume, one tone, and that's it. Stripped down to only what's necessary and nothing more. I fell in love with it immediately and i knew that the SG Jr will be the model I purchase. Now to my question. When comparing heritage cherry colors I find that they are all over the place. The current SG Jr looks like this: Screenshot_20200430-222824_Chrome.jpg
    A pretty bright red.

However, my favorite by far would be this: DSC_5238__62676.1582743215(1).jpg
    A dark, almost brownish wine red.

Finally, to my question. Is there a way that I can make the SG Jr that I will be purchasing new display the dark almost brownish hue of the second picture? Shot in the dark here, but I wanted to at least give it a shot.

Thank you for reading all of this if you've made it this far. Any replies are appreciated.

2. everdying

everdying Well-Known Member

3. ezypikins

ezypikins Member

4. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

First off, Welcome! And thanks for popping into everythingSG. Not to toot our own horn, but we are a friendly knowledgeable bunch that love to discuss SG’s and their appointments to death. We all have that on common. You will also find some folks in this community have a strong love for Angus and his SG’s. I put myself in both camps :)

In your second photo, the one depicting the color you aspire to have, that is not a heritage cherry. Angus has played all types of SG’s through out his career, of all colors and generations. Absolutely there are some heritage cherry in there, but it also extends to black customs, Brian May signature models, 61 are-Issues, 70/71 standards, and the list goes on.

Heritage Cherry is a common color, but that is not the color featured on his signature models (both the original as you have posted, or his more recent Gibson USA Thunderstruck models or Custom Shop models). I can’t recall if they call it Heritage Cherry in the specs for the original, but it is clearly darker. His most recent Gibson signature series refer to it as “Angus Cherry”, as it is notably darker than the red Heritage Cherry.

so how can you make your desired SGJR look like this? Well... not easy. You could pay for a refinish, which is expensive and silly. It would also decrease the values of the instrument should you part with it one day. Your other options would be:

1) buy the heritage cherry and love it. Angus plays so many HC SG’s he has lost count. From standards to 61 re-issues, even to SGJR’s like you are considering (see video below).

2) buy a black SG. Also a token color for Angus.

3) go for a dark walnut stain, which was likely the color of his original in which is being replicated.

in the end, you’re wanting a guitar to match Angus’ signature color. But the guitar you are desiring is not exactly a replica of his stage guitars. So perhaps love them all and let that detail go and enjoy what you are desiring. Play Tribute to angus by what you play with it, not how it looks on the wall.

Another color that comes extremely close is the antique cherry Gibson offers occasionally (photo below)

Additionally, i have posted the color of Angus’ #1 lightening bolt guitar.

Last edited: May 1, 2020
    Girl_Rock likes this.
  5. pancake81

Angus playing SGJR in interview

Didds likes this.
  6. pancake81

Gibson Antique Cherry

[​IMG]

Gibson custom shop Angus Cherry
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Side-by-Side comparisons of Antique Cherry - Heritage Cherry - Angus Cherry

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Girl_Rock, SatansGwitar, NMA and 5 others like this.
  7. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Those are ideal cherry finishes for an SG if you ask me.

There’s no such thing as a dumb question if you don’t know the answer.

8. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

Nothing short of refinishing the guitar will get you the color you want.

It seems you are in a spot: a particular model vs. a particular finish. Most people would probably go for the particular model over a particular finish.

You are also faced with what many of have been faced with: you desire a certain guitar that you have wanted since the 7th grade. Anything other than that model will not make you 100% happy. When faced with that situation it is best to be patient and save and save and save and then one day you get that exact model you desired since the 7th grade. Believe me, most of us have been there. You've waited roughly 17 years since the 7th grade to get an SG. Maybe just wait a while longer and get the one SG you really desire in both style and finish.

One other thing: Your waiting 17 years is a short time for getting the guitar of your dreams. I first saw Billy Duffy of The Cult play a White Falcon in 1986. Well, it took me twenty-five years to finally get that guitar and amp Duffy used. If you really want a specific guitar, you might have to be more patient than 17 years. And when you do get the guitar you really want, believe it, you will be sooooo happy you waited.

Waited a quarter of a century to get this. The waiting is part of buying a dream guitar.

[​IMG]

9. pancake81

Spot on! The joy of getting the guitar is enhanced by the wait and the desire.

10. gball

gball Well-Known Member

You got that right. I wanted a Silverburst Les Paul Custom since they were first released in 1979. It took me 38 years to finally track down the right one and acquire it, but now that I have had it a few years the wait doesn't feel so long.

Astral Traveler likes this.
  11. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

Ay caramba! 38 years? I would have broken down and gotten an Epiphone version.

Yeah, if someone told me back in 1985 that I wouldn't have a White Falcon until 2009, I would have said, "Want to bet?" But unless you are born wealthy, it does take some time to acquire the guitars of our dreams. Decades.

12. SatansGwitar

SatansGwitar Member

Howdy! Being a fellow Angus fan (my guitar hero as well) here's my two 2019 models of the SG Standard (heritage cherry) and the '61 Standard (vintage cherry) for your color reference.
    and a few links for reference

http://aws2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG/Gibson-USA/Angus-Young-SG.aspx

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-angus-young-sg-electric-guitar

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-angus-young-signature-sg

https://www.gibson.com/Guitar/USAFN1750/SG-Special/Vintage-Sparkling-Burgundy

I must ask though, for the price youre willing to pay for the SG Jr and the desire to recolor it, why not just buy a used one instead to strip out its color? If anything find a satin/thin coated walnut/natural finished SG and recolor that which I figured would be less a pain or just spend 100 bucks more for the SG Special in burgundy. separate.jpg

Attached Files:

pancake81 and Antvesh like this.
  13. SatansGwitar

SatansGwitar Member

Dude I love your Roland Jazz Chorus amp!... one of these days i'll splurge and get one....one day.

14. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

I got that Roland Jazz Chorus for....20 bucks!

Craiglist ad. A kid was asking 200 dollars. He had not played it for years, it was just taking up space in his room. I went to check it out. Plugged it in, there was a massive buzz and one speaker didn't work. I didn't want it. Kid's father told him to throw it out. As I was getting in my car I saw the kid bring the amp to the curb for the garbagemen to take. I told the kid I'll take it for knobs and parts and stuff. He said just take it but in good spirit I gave the kid twenty bucks. 20 bucks for an amp that BUZZZZZZED and one speaker didn't work. Wasn't worth two bucks but I gave him twenty.

When I got it home I saw that the one speaker that didn't work wasn't even plugged in! And the buzz? A guy on an internet forum told me just turn the plug upside down before plugging it into the wall socket. I did that and whoa, buzz completely gone! I cleaned up the amp, sprayed the pots to stop crackle and I now have a perfect Roland Jazz Chorus for just twenty dollars.

SatansGwitar likes this.
  15. SatansGwitar

SatansGwitar Member

16. Antvesh

Antvesh New Member

Not going to lie, the idea of buying a used one for cheaper, stripping it of color, and then refinishing it in that gibson antique cherry sounds like the way to go. It would also allow me to go less heavy on the gloss on the neck. Hmmm. The gears are turning.

17. pancake81

Not to highjack the thread, but... that’s a great photo! A Robert Ellis? You got a source in that

18. SatansGwitar

SatansGwitar Member

Hey thanks, likewise I dig that pic you have too great shot. Unfortunately I have no idea who took the photo, maybe Ross Halfin? I hate it the poster has no credit to the photographer, wanted to buy from a reputable source but no one seemed to carry that photo with that particular SG while in dying bug pose.

19. SatansGwitar

SatansGwitar Member

thought you would enjoy this....
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Angus-Youn...lfin-Idol-Mini-Poster-Art-Print-/172219626256

Antvesh likes this.
  20. pancake81

I found that poster on eBay. What a beauty

SatansGwitar likes this.