Me and my guitar!

Discussion in 'Welcome Wagon' started by Girl_Rock, Aug 13, 2018.

1. Girl_Rock

Girl_Rock Member

Hi guitarists, my name is Ilenia.
    I've been playing the guitar for 4 years. I started with a classical Yamaha C40 and the following year I bought my Epiphone SG G-400 Pro Cherry.
    I'm an AC/DC fan, but I also listen to KISS, Sabbath, Guns 'n' Roses, Zeppelin, Leppard, Motley Crue and other rock and hard rock bands.
    Why SGs? I loved them since I heard for the first time AC/DC's songs and I read the name of Angus' guitar: DEVIL GIBSON SG!!!! Gorgeous shape and great, powerful sound. From that moment an idea passed into my mind: I want to know how to play a guitar and buy an SG!

Here my classical...
    IMG_20180813_191047.jpg

... and here my Devil
    IMG_20170524_165730.jpg
    (Sorry for the low quality of the photos). :(

I'm also a song writer and I'm making an album with my Epi. I haven't got a band but I try to do what I can (guitar, bass, vocals...). I know I'm too young to do this (and maybe I'm also the youngest member here), nevertheless I go on. "Never give up" my idols taught to me.

This is me, glad to be an SG player!

2. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, helping a friend design a knitting machine
    Get the SG! - oh and welcome. I play classical music on my SG, and it really works.

And young is just fine - I got my first SG when I was 14.

Go for it! Like this

https://soundcloud.com/donpearce

fos1, Girl_Rock and Namelyguitar like this.
  3. Namelyguitar

Namelyguitar New Member

Welcome to ESG! Your SG is nearly identical to the 1966 reissue version that I landed last week. What a great SG you have! The discussions about rock songs recorded with SG always get my attention on the forums.

Girl_Rock likes this.
  4. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

You say you are young. My advice to you...

Quit now. Sell that guitar. Do something else.

Otherwise you will become a miserable bastard like all of us here. Trying for decades to get that perfect tone from our guitars. Spending a fortune on amps. Buying one guitar after another (sometimes buying a guitar just for its color!) Buying seventy-five different brands of strings and 50 different gauges of strings so we can get that tone we search for (but never reach). Buying twenty different straps until we find one that actually is comfortable. Spending a fortune on waxes so we can get our guitars to shine like a Ferrari.

Friend, quit now or you are doomed to live a life of endless despair that we guitar players all live.

5. Layne Matz

Layne Matz Active Member

Gorgeous guitars... What amp are you using?

Its never too late to expand your horizons as well, old acoustic blues and early blues rock can teach you a ton about what are seemingly basic structures in music theory.
    If you havent listened to The Doors before, I'd reccommend a few thorough listens to let it really sink in. Lots to learn.

This is good place to ask any music related question you might have, someone will reply and this forum isnt as busy as most other guitar forums.
    Good luck in your adventures!

Absolutely Live: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLf7LuAe0uwVwthmP4DPG2_IIS6gCJVeig

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
    Girl_Rock likes this.
  6. Layne Matz

Layne Matz Active Member

What he said is true, except its what you make of it.

I liek Jazz Guitarist Wes Montgomerys view that the guitar is a tool and an extension of himself. The music is in you and it doesnt matter what you are playing through because it all starts with you. There is no need to stress over what gear you need to buy next. Nothing is going to help your playing more than lots of practice and good technique. I reccomend recycling your picks and using your fingers. It aint easy at first but once you get the hang of it you have 5 efficient picks instead of one.

For string gauge, 9's or 10's make fingerstyle easy.

If you ever want to play slide guitar, get a dirt cheap electric, set it up with higher action and put .11s or 12s on there. Thicker strings sound better but they limit your playing. If you push yourself too hard you develop TENDONITIS which have done. It causes your muscles and tendons to feel painfully inflamed and as you continue to use your fingers and hands the pain grows.

To help avoid this you could learn how the Shaolin Monks of Asia stretch, in my experience their stretches are highly effective at releiving muscle and tendon tension.

Keep playing! There arent enough women playing guitar and I cant see why.

Edited for typos
    Editted again for typos...

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
    fos1, SG standard and Girl_Rock like this.
  7. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

Welcome to ETSG. That Epi is a great guitar, and an excellent choice for your first electric. I have a few different styles of guitar, but my G400 is my favourite.

For a young person, you've got great taste in music! :dude:

Girl_Rock and Layne Matz like this.
  8. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum! My first guitar was SG shaped, but it wasn't as good as your Epi - great choice!

The only way you'll end up a miserable bastard by playing guitar is if you started out an even more miserable bastard. :)

And the only place to go looking for tone is between your ears...

plankton, Girl_Rock and Layne Matz like this.
  9. Layne Matz

Layne Matz Active Member

Exactly! Remember this OP:thumb:

Girl_Rock likes this.
  10. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

Come on now, folks, let's be honest: we guitar gear heads are a miserable lot.

I have 17 guitars/basses, a number of amps, and a sh!tload of various gear. I am miserable. "Oh, no, the action on one of my Rickenbackers just went up 1/64th of an inch! Good Lord, my VOX AC30 doesn't sound exactly like The Beatles! That new pedal I bought does not sound like the youtube demos! DAMN IT, there's a one millimeter sized scratch on the top of my acoustic! (No one can see it, but I know it's there!) Oh God, my SG did not come with SG stamped onto the truss rod cover! How can I ever play this guitar?"

You know I am right. The more gear we get, the more miserable we become. I was better off when I had one guitar, one amp and a couple of picks.

11. Layne Matz

Layne Matz Active Member

Depends on how materialistic and egotistical you are. Or how poor or rich you are. I agree that simplicity can be the key to many things. Since I've been low income as long as I can remember I have to cut almost everything doen to the basics or essentials. Not everyone is in any kind of position to spend money where it isnt needed. Sometimes i cant even afford strings when I need them. Even while working a good paying job after taxes, utilities, all the different insurances, healthcare, food for multiple kids, rent, power bill, etc. My paycheck is just about gone, whats left over gets spent on gas and occasionally grass. In a low income situation there may be no surplus of anything but depression.

You dont need any more than what you generally require, as you said- one guitar, one amp. Although you might want one electric, one acoustic, one slide guitar, one bass, maybe a drum kit, a lap steel if your into that, one good amp should be enough. I don't think you need a single pedal in all honesty. Especially with a fairly versatile amp.

Oh and NMA, if you really need to relieve yourself of an instrument- send it here! My youngest brother is saving up very slowly for a guitar so he can join jazz band. We could give any instrument a happy home.

Girl_Rock likes this.
  12. Girl_Rock

Girl_Rock Member

Thanks for your answers.
    I agree with you: G-400s are beautiful guitars, but to me G-310s (Epiphone) are gorgeous too. I love their pickguards and I want to buy one for my birthday, but I don't know... I still have a month to think about it. If I get it, it will be my last Epiphone SG, then I'll pass to Gibsons. I've played a Special Ferrari red last year and to me it had a fantastic sound, do you see what I mean?

Answering to Layne Mats question, I use a Blackstar ampli. You are right: it's never too late to expand our horizons. Thanks for the advice, The Doors are a good group! :smile:

13. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

If it made you happier, you should go back to that.

If you like the bigger pickguard look into the '66 G400 Pro, it's the one I own along with a few other members on here. It's got better pickups than the G310 (or even the regular G400) and a set neck as opposed to the bolt on.

http://www.epiphone.com/Products/SG/1966-G-400-PRO.aspx

Girl_Rock and SG standard like this.
  14. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

Maybe it's because you're identifying with being a 'guitar gear head' rather than a 'guitar head'? Perhaps most of the pleasure comes from playing, rather than fussing over gear?

But, even if that's accurate, notice how everything in your description of your misery is about the thoughts you're having - not the gear. For example, consider some of the possible thoughts about the Rickenbacker's action:
    1] Oh no! ....I'll play one of my other 16 guitars
    2] Oh no! ....I guess I'll play it regardless
    3] Hmmm, the Ric feels a bit different today.... or perhaps it's just me.
    4] Time to adjust the Ric's truss rod. Might as well change the strings whilst I'm at it.

None of these need to involve misery.

The same applies to all those other thoughts - they're making you miserable, not the gear. I don't think we need to unpack each one, especially the one about the SG trc. :D

FWIW, when you're actually absorbed in playing music, you're far less likely to be having these misery-making thoughts. So again, I'd recommend more time actually playing. :smile:

Layne Matz and Girl_Rock like this.
  15. Girl_Rock

Girl_Rock Member

Pretty, really. I don't think I find those guitars in the music shops near where I live, because I've never seen them there, but I may be wrong. I want to buy the G310 because I played my friend's one two or three years ago and because it's different. I will think about it. Thank you

16. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

How can I spend more time playing when I have 17 guitars to look after!?! You think Mike and Carol Brady with six kids, a maid, and a dog had any time for playing?

[​IMG]

Layne Matz likes this.
  17. Matt K

Matt K New Member

One fantastic looking SG and probably a fantastic player too, you can't go wrong with an Epiphone as a first electric guitar, especially an SG, although I'd agree with plankton about the '66 G400 Pro over a G310 if you could, SG's should have set necks :rofl:. Sometimes I wonder what'd have happened if I'd have saved and bought on instead of a cheap strat copy, probably wouldn't have accumulated all the guitars I did and may not have got my SG, guitars do build up after a while. Good luck with the album.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
    Girl_Rock likes this.
  18. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome.

Girl_Rock likes this.
  19. Girl_Rock

Girl_Rock Member

Uh! Thank you...
    It's true, "guitars do build up after a while", but it's always a bad feeling to say goodbye to what you love, isn't it? Thanks for the album too.

Thanks you too, Biddlin.

Matt K likes this.
  20. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

asmsd.jpg
    Here's my 2003 faded to which I have added the Maestro vibrola,swapped tuners and polished up a bit.

Girl_Rock likes this.