Me & Tony Iommi

Discussion in 'General Music' started by SG Lou, May 20, 2007.

1. SG Lou

SG Lou Moderator Staff Member

I’m in work Saturday, May 19th and at approximately 12:30 my cell phone rings. I look at the number and have no clue who it is , so I answer it. “Hell Lou” It’s Mike, Mike Clement ( Tony Iommi's Guitar Tech ). We exchange greetings and than he asks me “I was inquiring If you are still coming tonight so I can make arrangements”

I answer back with a resounding “ You better believe it Mike, I wouldn’t miss this opportunity for the world”

“Right than, I’ll see you later”

That’s how my day started in the quest to finally meet my “Guitar Idol”

I arrive at the PNC Bank Art Center at around 5:10 pm and I explain to one of the parking attendant’s what’s going down and ask where can I park my truck.
    The Attendant’s Supervisor tell me to “Follow the Bus Parking Area sign and there will be a Security Guard there at the gate to direct you”

Ok so now I’m at the Security Gate and explain to the guard why I’m here.
    He directs me to park “over there” and that I should contact Mike.

I park my truck as I’m getting out the guard yells over to me , “Lou, Are you Lou Moritz?”

Yeah I answer him back. The Security Guard says, “Oh geez, I’m sorry. I should have looked on my list first. Your on the Guest List and have Back Stage Parking Take this road down to the Tour Buses and someone there will take care of you”

With a huge grin on my face I’m on my way !

I stop my truck in front of the “Back Stage Lounge” which is behind the stage area and there are several guys standing around. I explain to one of them why I’m here. The guy looks at his sheet, directs me where to park and says “I’ll get a hold of Mike”

So I park my truck, gather my things, grab the guitar case, lock up my truck and start walking down the hill.
    I see a guy coming towards me and when we’re within earshot of each other he says to me,
    “Bloody good to finally meet you Lou, I’m Mike”

He explains to me what will transpire and we walk to the “Production Trailer” to get my “Credentials” and to leave the Monkey SG there for safe keeping until after the show.

While in the trailer he asks me if “We can take a look at the guitar”
    I open up the case and all I hear is “Bloody Hell, that’s beautiful.” I asked Mike if he thinks Tony will like it and he assured me that he will.

I then get my "Credentials" to grant me access back stage !

[​IMG]

Tour Buses and Trucks line the road

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So we shake hands, and Mike is off to finish sorting out gear for the European leg of Tour and I go on my way into the arena.

Show starts, Machine Head is ok, Megadeath was cool although I’m only familiar with two songs they played ( Symphony of Destruction and Peace Sells )

During the Machine Head set I take a walk back stage and Mike is showing me Tony’s amp rig and some of his guitars.
    Mike than introduces me to Tony assistant who's name is Bruce,and he explains to me how we will go about meeting Tony after the show and that he will get me when they are ready.

Tony's Tech, Mike Clement, Posing in front of the Amp rack

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tony's New SG

[​IMG]

The famous Old Boy

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I returned to the Arena area , have a bite to eat and some much needed Brew !
    I have a couple of pints of Guinness ( 2 was enough at $10.00 a pint ) and than the lights go dark,
    Heaven & Hell is ready to take the stage.

They sounded FANTASTIC ! Songs from Heaven & Hell, The Mob Rules and Dehumanizer were played for a solid 2 hours. They finish up with the title cut Heaven & Hell, say their “Good Night’s” and are off the stage. They come back for the encore “Neon Nights”
    I stay until Tony finished the solo and I make my way back stage .

When Mike see's me he ask's, “Well how did you like it?’

“Can you still the huge smile on my face?” I ask him?
    “ I take it you liked it than" Mike say’s

Let me tell you, back stage at a major show seems to be utter chaos, although everyone knew exactly what went into what flight case or storage bin.

So I’m standing around, trying to stay out of everyone’s way and the next thing I know Bruce, ( Tony’s assistant ) is motioning to me and saying “Right Mate, you ready?, Lets go”

We walk down a flight of step, down a narrow corridor and stop at a door with a sign on it “ Heaven & Hell Tony Iommi”

Butterflies are dancing in my stomach as Bruce opens the door. There in front of me is the “Man” sitting on a black leather sofa.

“Hello” he say’s and I introduce myself. I set the guitar case down and we shoot the bull for a few, than I explain to him why I’m here , about the guitar and all and Tony mentions how “Mike showed me pictures and told me you were bringing it down for me to see.
    “Let’s have a look” Tony say's
    I open the case, pull the shroud back that covered the SG and he was totally impressed on how it looked.
    He takes it out of the case, holds it up in front of him and he can’t believe it.

“Where did you get the decal. It’s exact to the original”
    When I told him how I made it on the computer he just shook his head in disbelief.

So we talk about how I built it, where I got the parts from etc, etc, he tells me a story on how his SG was once stolen from an airport and it was spotted a month later in a pawn shop. Needless to say he was glad that he was able to recover it.

I mentioned that Mike told me that the original was at the Hard Rock Café in NYC and how I went there and took reference photo’s. Tony said he never was there yet to see it , so I explained to him how it was displayed.

One of the other guys in the room mentioned about Tony selling it and Tony said,
    “I can’t see it sitting in a box, in storage. I would rather see it on display so people like this chap can view it. And beside, if I really want it back I can purchase it, that’s the deal I made with the Hard Rock Café”

We talked about his other guitars and I made mention about his white Strat.
    He says to me “You know, Geezer saw that exact Strat in a shop back home and was going to buy it for me, but by the time he got back there to purchase it, it was already sold”

I ask Tony if I can get a picture of him holding the SG !

[​IMG]

As he’s checking out the SG, he looks down at me over the top of his glasses and with a slight smile on his face he say’s to me,
    “You know there is one thing wrong with this?”
    I ask him what it is and he says laughing “It’s not left handed”

Than I ask him if he would autograph it for me. I was so damn excited that I forgot to take the picture as he was signing it.

[​IMG]

Of course a pic has to be taken with him !

[​IMG]

He sits down on the sofa and starts telling me that Gibson was talking about releasing another Tony Iommi Sig SG, the same one that I made.
    “2 damn years they have been talking about it, ( and here is probably the best compliment Tony pay’d me ) “Maybe you should show Gibson how its suppose to be done”

I felt 10 feet tall after that compliment !

So we continue chatting and the door to his dressing room opens up. To my surprise Geezer Butler walks in. I say Hello “Geezer” and he says hello back and we shake hands.
    He walks right over to the case, looks at the SG and Tony say’s to him “What do you think, Looks great ha, just like my old one”
    Now Geezer starts asking me how I made it, how long it took, where did I get the decal, etc, etc and I go through the whole story again………..believe me I didn’t MIND !

He picks the SG up and is checking it out so I ask if I can take a picture of him holding the SG

[​IMG]

When I’m done photographing him he makes like he’s heading towards the door , with the SG in hand and says, “See ya, and thanks for the guitar”

I guess he liked it too !

While Geezer continues checking out the SG, I ask Tony if he wouldn’t mind signing the
    pick guard of my Custom Shop SG.
    “You got one of those too” he ask’s. “Sure I do, I told him. I have 6 SG’s at home”
    “Almost as bad as me” he says

[​IMG]

As he’s signing the pick guard he asks me “ You’re not going to sell these are you, like on Ebay?”

I tell Tony, “No way, I’m keeping these until the day I die”
    With that Geezer jumps in, chuckling and says “If you die tomorrow, can I have it “

With that my visit with Tony and Geezer was over. I spent about 45 minutes with them and I had a ball. For famous Rock Star’s, they are 2 of the most down to earth guys you would ever want to meet.
    I thanked both of them for their time and how much of a pleasure it was to meet both of them.
    They both thanked me for bringing the Monkey SG and wished me luck and I was on my way !

Well there ya have it. I finally got to meet my “Guitar Hero” after waiting almost 30 years

I have to give Mike Clement a huge Thank You because if it wasn’t for him, I would have never gotten this chance !

Mike , If you read this , Thank You Mate !

My Prized Possessions

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
    Sp8ctre, grausch, In Tampa and 12 others like this.
  2. vkgphil

vkgphil Active Member

Re: Me & Tony Iommi

:notworthy: O0 :dance:

awesome Lou!! the autographs look fantastic on those guitars. real show pieces!

thanks for sharing

pancake81 likes this.
  3. vkgphil

vkgphil Active Member

its great that they were so down to earth and receptive to greeting and having those coversations. i imagine all these years of touring they have pretty much done everything we could imagine and now they are wise and true pros in every sense.

i bet you were proud receiving praise like that. im surprised he didnt commission you to make one for him.

4. timmywear

timmywear Member

wow! i envy you.if only i could meet MY guitar hero as well.maybe someday but i think i'd start crying like a little girl.btw you didnt cry did you?

5. guitarweasel

guitarweasel Well-Known Member

[quote author=timmywear link=topic=13629.msg176475#msg176475 date=1179705933]
    btw you didnt cry did you?[/quote]

Cry?   HELL!!!  Lou was wearing diapers !! :funny: :funny:

Kidding aside, Lou, I'm glad for you bro.......you done good!!

Hey.......Any explanation about the wrist brace?

6. EveryMn

EveryMn Active Member

Congratulations, lucky. Maybe someday I'll be able to meet Townshend or John Fogerty.

But seriously, that is an awesome experience. You have any grandkids to tell the story to?

7. SG John

SG John Well-Known Member

Congrats! Looks great Lou. O0

8. FingersFreddy

FingersFreddy New Member

nice Lou ;)

9. Six String

Six String Moderator Staff Member

...... there are no words to describe.......... Congrats Lou and an excellent report!! 8) 8) 8)

10. SG dan

SG dan Active Member

oh man lucky!!! you ant tony both have some NICE guitars there! awesome!
    :) :Droolin: O0

11. spacefuzz

spacefuzz Member

totally awesome Lou

12. intothevoid

intothevoid Member

wow, that is one amazing story. i am so freakin jealous! :Droolin:

13. timmywear

timmywear Member

btw i see two SG's with floyds.the white and a black.am i right?

14. Laney1566

Laney1566 Member

Now that is how you tell a picture story!!!!
    Awesome report.
    Did you find yourself checking out his fingers?

15. marty1776

marty1776 Active Member

Great story!! So how did you hook up with Mike?

16. Lex Lurid

Lex Lurid Active Member

Fantastic Review Lou and some Great Shots.

All In All........Well worth the traumas that took place.

Pip Pip
    Lexie O0

17. javamagic

javamagic Well-Known Member

Hope you didn't tell Tony how some thievin' scumbag ripped you off for the John Birch pickup. ;D Congratulations on meeting your idol Lou. O0

18. ricardo_vicente

ricardo_vicente Active Member

Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed reading that. It must've been a great experience.

19. Zeppelin Rules

Zeppelin Rules Active Member

Congrats Lou !! That must have been one hell of a thrill to meet your idol !

20. madguitarsolo

madguitarsolo Active Member

Amazing stuff. Nice one on meeting your guitar hero and those autographs look great on the guitars.