Me & Tony Iommi

Discussion in 'General Music' started by SG Lou, May 20, 2007.

1. minotaur

minotaur Member

SG Lou, thanks for the story, photos, and info! How did you ever get extended the invitation to meet Tony and all the perks therewith? How did the word get to his "camp" about your guitar build?

Hells yeah, and he had Geezer wanting the guitar too! An SG (or any) story doesn't get much cooler than that one! :thumb:

Man I love this place...I feel right at home!:jam:

2. The_Sentry

The_Sentry Member

Cool story!

3. Insanity

Insanity New Member

Damn, I just noticed and got through going through this thread as I am watching Heaven and Hell. Man you are really fortunate. Tony Iommi is the reason I started playing guitar at the age of 13 or 12. I heard Black Sabbath the song and i suppose i was well signed up? LOL. Still am till this day. I have so much of his feel and sound in me its crazy. I would love to meet him. Thanks for your thread.

4. blake

blake Active Member

i would seriously hug tony imomi, he means that much to me, honestly for me though, i would love to meet brian johnson andangus young, my heros, by the way congrats on meeting tony

5. CATMANDUE

CATMANDUE Well-Known Member

Most excellent right on! Geezer is a monster on bass! I adore those guys!

6. Boss

Boss New Member

Thanks for sharing this. I always had a feeling that Tony would be quite decent and humble. His signature SG is what I hope to own someday.

7. Iván

Iván Active Member

I saw him (Tony) yesterday, at the Black Sabbath show, here in Argentina. The best freaking show I've ever been. Ozzy was amazing, and Tony is as good as when he has 25 years old (maybe better). Geezer rules, and the drummer (the one that plays in RATM) plays wonderful. I still can't believe that I saw Tony fu%$ing Iommi face to face. I surely won't forget that moment...

8. R.A.F.

R.A.F. Active Member

The one where Ozzy showed up with a Brazilian flag? I just read about that! :rofl:
    Peace... :hippie:

9. Iván

Iván Active Member

Exactly that one hahah. Some Brazilian guys threw a Brazilian flag to the escenario and ozzy showed it to the public. There was a Perubian flag too haha. However, there were no Argentinian flags over there... :dunno:.

Kinda odd... since Ozzy actually knew that he was in Argentina, he said "Hello Argentina" or something like that hahah (he really can't be THAT high in order to don't know where he's standing).

Still, the best show I've ever been. :dude:

R.A.F. likes this.
  10. jeremy

jeremy Active Member

I saw them in Sydney earlier this year and it was definitely the best gig i've been to as well. They were awesome, Tony was fantastic! As were the other guys

11. phodg

phodg New Member

I've never hung out backstage with Tony Iommi, but I did literally bump into him walking through New York last August. He was in town to do a Sirius radio interview. Really nice guy for the few minutes I got with him (his minders really didn't want him to stop as they said he'd get mobbed), but he told them he was stopping to let me take a photo with him. Really nice guy and someone I never thought I'd meet ....

[​IMG]

oldrockfan, JohnnyGoo and Dreamscape like this.
  12. Tazz3

Tazz3 Active Member

That's really cool that u met tony he is a guitar god :)

13. Heavy Garden

Heavy Garden Well-Known Member

Great read! Happy for You!

JohnnyGoo likes this.
  14. Norlin SG

Norlin SG Well-Known Member

Really great story, but Tony nailed it with his comment. "it's not Left handed". It just kills me that right handed folks blow off the significance of handedness. When I was a kid, I strung a guitar correctly for me and my dad made me put it back to right handed. I gave up on playing for many years after that.

if you are going to make a tribute anything, have respect for the handedness of the featured player. Two examples of shear blasphemy are the Hendrix RH tribute strat made with a L/H guitar and the Brian may L/H Red Special.

Tony's guitars are left handed. To be a reasonable tribute, they need to be left handed as well. A R/H Hendrix, Easton or Iommi tribute guitar or a L/H Brian May Red Special is nothing more than marketing.

I would love to meet Tony and have him play and evaluate the setup and playability of some of my axes. And to all you right handed players, that is something I have in common with Tony than no R/H player will ever have.

I think that showing up with a really great R/H guitar for Tony to evaluate would probably cause Tony to think yet another really awesome guitar that I can't play. Kind of an insult to the Master.

Anyway, rant off. Really great story, though.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
  15. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Retrobump

16. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

Great write up

17. Protismo

Protismo New Member

Sick! our so lucky :)