Melody Maker tone opinions?

Discussion in 'Tone Zone' started by Layne Matz, Mar 23, 2019.

1. Layne Matz

Layne Matz Well-Known Member

Im pondering what it would be like to have single coils in an SG. I recall playing a vinateg melody make on eday at a shop in Nashville but that was years ago.

What do you think about the tone of Melody Makers?

2. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

In the past, I had a 2007 SG Standard with 3 Single Coils.

[​IMG]

I currently have a 2007 Melody Maker.
    It has a single coil at the bridge only.
    DCR is 4.67K, but it does not sound anemic.
    I like it for a Tele-like sound.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
    Layne Matz likes this.
  3. Layne Matz

I love the looks of that 2007! I bet it sounds great too. Can I ask why you got rid of it?

cerebral gasket likes this.
  4. cerebral gasket

When I first saw the guitar, I asked what kind of pickup routing was under the guard and it was confirmed that it was the swimming pool, one giant pickup route. I got to thinking that I could have a new guard made with cut outs for a humbucker at the bridge and single coil at the neck with no pickup in the middle. Swap the 6-way rotary selector for a 3-way toggle.

I purchased the guitar with that in mind, but kept it stock and just played it for a while before spending time and money modifying it. It had a strange neck carve that was flat on the backside that I could not get used to that annoyed me so I put the guitar out to pasture and sold it.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
  5. Layne Matz

Thanks for the insight! How did it vary in tone from a strat for instance? Was it stratty? Mellow? Etc

6. cerebral gasket

I eventually realized that if I wanted a Strat sound, then to get a Strat which I eventually did.

7. Layne Matz

I was curious for point of Terrence, Im not trying to make one guitar into another... Its just a typical melody maker with a third pickup and a stoptail of course. I have a squier strat, I'm just curious what that pickup configuration sounds like in an SG- my favorite body and neck shape of all.

Edit: I ask becuase Im going to be building an SG this hear and I'm considering what i might want to try for pickups in it- Im certain I want strat/tele single coils, P90s or minihumbuckers. Im undecided, I like lots of tones.

8. cerebral gasket

You could always build the SG with a swimming pool route and then have different batwings or whatever large format guards you choose with various pickup configurations loaded on them so that you can experiment with different pickups to find your sound.

Layne Matz likes this.
  9. Layne Matz

You read my mind, or since its going to be unique in design I may or may not do away with a pickguard. I like the plate that's on Jerry Garcias custom guitars. Depending on the wood grain I may or may not go with a swimming pool route. I might start experimentation by routing for and installing some Tele pups, see how it is and then change it if need be. I have more than enough guitars right now, but the project is appealing nonetheless. I love SGs, why not have two?