MF SG Classic Fralin P-90 Installation

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by whotribute, Dec 14, 2004.

1. whotribute

whotribute New Member

Hi. I thought you'd all like to see some pics of my new MF SG classic being dissected and recieving new Fralin P-90's. This board can't upload pics yet, so I'll just describe the scene. The mounting bracket for the P-90's attaches directly to the pickguard. I had a little trouble trying to figure out the best way to use their bracket with my new fralins, since they use a spacer in between the bracket and the pickup. It has holes drilled for all the pole pieces to slide through. On the gibby pickups, there are (4) screws attaching the bracket to the pickup. Two slide through the top of the pickup (like Normal), and the other two are attached underneath into the bottom of the pickup. The problem is, on the Fralins, one of those screws has a ground washer on it, and those screws aren't going to be long enough to go through the bracket and spacers. Not only that, I'm not about to remove them, as I think they may hold some "guts" together inside those nice, expensive pickups. So basically, I just installed the spacer over those two screws and used the top (2) screws to mount the pickup to the bracket. The only difference is that the pole pieces aren't long enough to extend through the holes in the bracket (who cares), and I can't make the pickups ultra-low, or the bracket will crush the wires in the cavity. Anyway, enough of my gabbing. My RS kit came, but this SG takes short-shaft pots, so I had to send them back since they came with LP long-shaft pots.

2. SG Lou

SG Lou Moderator Staff Member

Welcome Aboard WhoTribute. What do you mean "This board can't upload pics yet," Sure it can. I posted a pic this morning. Here ya go !

..Lou

[​IMG]

So now take some pictures and let's have a look at the transformation !

3. whotribute

whotribute New Member

Where is that picture stored?

According to The FAQ:

"You cannot link to pictures stored on your own PC (unless it is a publicly accessible server)"

4. SG Dick

SG Dick Member

Lou, is that a Townshend?

5. ess

ess Guest

they can be stored online at photobucket.com

6. SG Lou

Yes SG Dick, Thats a Townshend.

Whotribute, Do just as Ess said. Log into http://www.photbucket.com
    and open up an account ( Its free) and you can upload all the pictures you want!

..Lou

7. whotribute

whotribute New Member

Holy Sweet Mother of God! I put the Fralins and RS kit in at once. NIGHT AND DAY difference from the stock gibson p-90's and pots! I AM PETE TOWNSHEND!! This guitar is UNBELIEVABLE with Fralin P-90's and true 500k pots. By the way, the stock Gibson volume pots measure 265-279, so I assume they're shipping 300's from the factory.

Anybody with a new SG classic, GET RID OF THE STOCK PICKUPS AND POTS!

Good Lord, this is the greatest axe I have ever played!! and now I OWN the Live at Leeds tone!!

8. vic108

vic108 Well-Known Member

This sounds serious!
    (I just bought a CLASSIC too!)

9. Sgmaniac

Sgmaniac Guest

Cool 8)

10. satinsixstring

satinsixstring Member

Man oh man, I've always loved the Leeds tone.

Of couse, it is always second to Clapton in Cream, especially on the song "crossroads"

11. chrisbwfc

chrisbwfc Member

Hey Whotribute, just bloody well give me back that tone. That's mine that is!!!

12. SG Lou

The Fralin P-90's I got, guess I'll have to get that RS kit as well ! Thanks for the info Whotribute !

...Lou

13. whotribute

whotribute New Member

You will need SHORT SHAFT pots for the SG classic. The standard Gibson RS kit ships with long shaft. I found out the hard way, but I've got a friend who had like 1,000 CTS short shaft pots made for his shop about 10 years ago. I went through about 100 of them until I found 4 matched 500k's. One thing I will say is that I don't care for the RS treble bypass method. I just use a simple 470pf-640pf cap, without any resistors. The RS method just makes the guitar sound "Honky" when turned down.

In any case, here are the pictures of the swap I promised. See my first message for the explanation on the pickup mounting.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Again, I can't say how incredibly better this guitar is after the Fralin's and pots. Its like owning a vintage porsche and dropping in a brand-new dual turbocharged engine. I also can't believe how low the action is on this guitar, especially after I put 9's on it. Its like butta. I feel guilty, but this axe is replacing my beloved 81 LP tobacco sunburst as my #1. All 12lbs of it.

14. gwydion

gwydion Member

Hey Whotribute?
    Which wiring kit did you get at RS??

15. satinsixstring

satinsixstring Member

Hmm, I always thought P-90's were direct mounted to the wood.

I learn something new everyday!

16. dcooper

dcooper Member

This kit has the short shafts for sg's

Premium electronics Upgrade for Gibson Historic Models
    [EUKFGG] $45.95

Click to enlarge
    Stock indication

In Stock

[b]Our "TRUE TONE" Electronics Upgrade Kit for Historic Les Paul's, vintage Les Pauls, and other guitars the use short shaft pots. The Historic electronics upgrade kit Includes four short shaft 500K audio taper CTS pots that are tested to assure they are all voumes are 520K or betterexcludes Treble Tamer Kit), two Hovland .022uf caps that are tested, and matched, wire, an optional high pass circuit, and our own custom schematic that fixes all the limitations of the Modern, and 50s standard wirings. You just won't find a better package to make your guitar sound it's best.

17. CharlieB

CharlieB Active Member

On the classic, Gib has used dogear p90 frames with soapbar covers... that way they could be hung from the pickguard.

Check those routes!

18. gwydion

gwydion Member

Thanks for the information!!!

19. satinsixstring

satinsixstring Member

Ahh, I get it, thanks CharlieB.

I like the fact that the pups are a little more adjustable.

20. Tripower455

Tripower455 Member

I've been trying to decide whether to go with Fralins or Lollars to replace the stockers in my PT SG.......

What impedance did you go with? On the RS kit, which caps did you use?

Thanks!

BTW, here is my setup mini LAL setup........

[​IMG]