MF SG Classic Fralin P-90 Installation

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by whotribute, Dec 14, 2004.

1. TNT

TNT Active Member

What was the reason for reversing the polarity on the magnets in the P90s CB? Did you do that to both pups or just one?If just one,which one?

2. Six String

Six String Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to ETSG musicalhair! :D :D :D

3. CharlieB

CharlieB Active Member

....... Another thing is that Lindy Fralin offers reverse winding/reverse polarity... so that when both pickups are selected, you get hum cancellation (an ok feature!).......

.....After prepping the fresh end of the wire (see 6a), solder the white lead wire to the center black wire of the pickup wire and retape it. I used white cloth tape to contrast the black tape used by Gibson. That way I'd know which was the reversed one......

So, to answer your question, humcancellation if one set of magnets is reversed, along with its coil leads.

4. musicalhair

musicalhair New Member

Hey Guys, thanks for the welcome.

I jumped on the thread perhaps before doing all the research. I'm not going to route the body. I had it done once, to an early 80's "Elite Series" tele. While it sounds killer with the DiMarzio Fred in the bridge position and a coil splitter switch, a real contrast to the stock "elite" stacked humbucker and active electronics (with a tone and mid-boost/cut circuit) the guitar is not as valuable as it would be now.

That might be bogus reasoning but I paid like $265 for the guitar with a case new and I could get close to $800 easily for it today. Faded SG's might be less costly than the non-faded US made ones but they are still US made and I'd like to at least give it a chance to appreciate in value.

I think I'll investigate switching out the pickups with ones I don't have to route the body or do anything drastic to make fit. Something like Duncan PhatCats might do the trick. Something like that anyway.

Are you saying the RS kit is the reverse winding?

To get them to cancel each others hum, I thought all you had to do was make sure the leads where soldered up correctly-- is that like I'm assuming the pickups are already Neck/bridge pairs?

5. 515who

515who Active Member

I'm liking this thread!!!!! I live in NJ, and would like ot see that WHO tribute.

I kinda LIKE the who a little...

he he!!!!!