Mini Humbucker

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by alazary, Dec 29, 2004.

1. alazary

alazary Member

how are these set up? are they single coil?

2. CharlieB

CharlieB Active Member

They are mini humbuckers. Two coils, just smaller. They're brighter, and lower output than "standard" humbuckers, although there are some hot aftermarket ones.

3. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

I never got on well with those Mini's....but I'm listening to you guys for any insights about them! From what I understand the ones on the old Firebirds were different from the ones on Les Pauls.....

4. Sgmaniac

Sgmaniac Guest

Well, they sound great in the SG Deluxe, but I did change the bridge pup for a Seymour Duncan. 8)

5. CharlieB

CharlieB Active Member

Vox, I believe the pickups were the same - or quite similar, only that the mounting method changed just a bit from Firebird to Les Paul.

Think - as bright as a 57 Classic is compared to a 490, that much again from minihum to 57Classic (PAFish) sound. Brighter, a bit lower output.

A snarlin' p90 in the bridge with a minihum in the neck might be an interesting combo BTW.

6. Voxman

Well see CB I say so because all the bonafide Firebird players say NO and wax poetic about that subject....... I'll have to call them to try to sort this issue out! Me, I'm not sure

7. Sgmaniac

Sgmaniac Guest

The mini I pulled out of the SG Deluxe measures 16.14 K Ohms. 8)

8. Strange Brew

Strange Brew Well-Known Member

The mountings are different on the Firebirds and they don't have screw pole pieces, whereas the LP Dlx etc all do.

Incidentally.... the mini humbucker was designed by Epiphone and used in their electric models, before Gibson took them over.

9. Voxman

That would seem to indicate a Hot, middy pickup SGM cept other things also come into play there..........I need to try them again.
    Eppys did have one of the first Mini's, if not the first ones!

10. Sgmaniac

Sgmaniac Guest

I found the stock Gibson mini bridge pickup to be shrill & brittle sounding. The Seymourized mini reads about 12 K Ohms and sounds warm and overdrive's nicely. The stock Gibson mini's sound very nice in the middle and neck positions though. 8)

11. CharlieB

CharlieB Active Member

I think we need to differentiate between the mini that came in the Les Paul Deluxe, the Firebird, then a bit later the SG-I, SG-II and SG-III, then even later the SG Deluxe and and modern Firebirds.

I dont think you're gonna find the old ones and the new ones the same... just like the full sized ones are not the same.

I think though, that the old Firebird pickups and the old Les Paul Deluxe had essentially the same pickup with different mounting.

As for todays... who knows, except you can mount the mini's in a soapbar route if you want to, or hang em from a pickguard.

As for those middle years with the plastic covers... no telling.

I've seen pictures of the Firebird pickup, and it indeed DOES have adjustable poles, set down in flush, under a solid cover.... or at least the ones I saw were like that (who can tell whats original any more though).

Maybe Ess has some pictures.

12. Voxman

I have the info in an old Vintage Guitar Magazine, from an ongoing column with Seymour Duncan. The catch is I have over 300 Issues in the library! :(
    I'll have to call one of the firebird nutters as one of them has to know what year that article was from? I'm on the case.........

13. skidshark

skidshark Active Member

about the dimensions....are these replacements for the soapbar p-90's or a diferent size altogether?

14. CharlieB

CharlieB Active Member

Gibson and Allparts sell these. Allparts has em in black too.

[​IMG]

To make them work you need

[​IMG]

or build something similar to this

[​IMG]
    (this one has soapbar spaced holes, but you can easily just make the holes "mini-hum" spacing instead)

15. Voxman

Someone on ebay occasionally sells a similar product made of maple or mahogany for spacers. Not sure what I'd perfer without hearing them first!

16. CharlieB

CharlieB Active Member

Now wait a second there Vox.... I love ya like a brother... and we share the same heart... but do you really think the spacer material makes a difference when the pickup is riding all willy nilly and wobbly on springs anyway?

17. Voxman

I mean P-90's which are screwed into the wood! I know what you mean with the spring thing but when there screwed into the wood like Specials and especially Juniors well there's a lot of "wood" in the sound.......Mini's, I'd have to look again but thank God we don't all like the same thing as there wouldn't be enough to go around and we'd be fighting like cats and dogs!
    The brass plate under a tele bridge pickup makes that pickup and I just feel whats under the pickup affects the quality of the sound to a certain degree. What degree, I'm not exactly sure, but it'd be an interesting study......

18. Voxman

Looks like an FC-100 remote to either a Roland GP8/ or 16 effect processor on the very bottom corner of your pic...... Right now I'm playing with a GP-100....there all cool units

19. CharlieB

CharlieB Active Member

I'm lost... I thought you were talking about those mounting rings.

I gotta admit when I (briefly) used wood screws on my recent p90 project, the pickups were a lot tighter. Now the bridge is like a big panic button - you can push it down and it springs back up. The neck is all the way down tho.

AND - I lowered the screws to match the top of the adjusters. Warmed up things a bit when I did that. It was two full turns.

I wholly agree that pickups mounted into wood sound different than pickups mounted onto (or hung from) pickguards. Try HARD mounting a pickup to the wood sometime. That is no spring, just shimmed to correct elevation and screwed down tight.

And....

Er Vox ol bean. Tele's have steel plates, not brass. It LOOKS brass (or copper) but its plated. Its really steel, and always has been.

20. Voxman

Always thought it was brass by the look, huh, thanks CB! now back to Maggy ---just put the twist lock in 40/40/30/30 I think there's a compo net lead making intermittent contact! Drivin' me crazy! But first clean up power supply! I ain't gonna make New years w/ this amp :oops:
    I'm surprised! Very unique sound and killer amounts of tone...... you need to try one soon so we know your opinion